E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
m3kid

My Ride: M3
Do polishes and waxes expire?

Hi guys,

I bought some Poorboys/Klasse AIO/and P21S a while back from Detailed Image (3 years ago) and was wondering if I could still use them to detail my vehicle? they are stored in the garage and its been through some seasonal temperture changes (not sure if that affects the chemicals).

I've been following up on the detail forums and it seems to me that most of you have now switched to more premium products such as Merzerna SIP, 106FF etc (instead of poorboy) with Jet Seal (instead of Klasse) and so on.

My current vehicle is 996 Turbo. Color - Artic Silver.
Daily is a 2002 540i carbon black that has some major swrill/scratches

My question is:
is it worth it to get the Merzerna's or should I wait and try my poorboys on the cars? what are some of the differences between the two products?

I don't have those light-meters that detects the clear-coat depth...so I'm not sure if there's any other way to make sure not to harm the clear coat?

If anyone could help me out that'd be great.

Thanks so much.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
You should be fine. I have had quite a bit of products laying around for a while that I use from time to time.
Try out what you have and see if you like the results.

Are you going to be doing this by hand?

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
m3kid

no. I have a porter cable with 6" backing plate. I already have an orange and white pads lying around. I might give that a shot then when i have time and see what type of result I get. Last time I did it, I think i applied a little too much polish on the pads.... how much is necessary? just like 4-5 pea-sized dots around the edge? I think i applied the polish in a "X" formation across the surface of the pad. LOL that might be a little too excessive no?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Yea, apply a small amount (nickel size) onto your pad and you will be good to go. Porter Cable is good, but with a 6" pad you are not going to have great results. You really want to use a 4" orange pad on a Porter Cable to maximize the outcome of your detail. If you have very light swirls than the 6" pad will do.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
m3kid

oicic. maybe that's why I wasn't too impressed with the result the first time... I will take that into consideration. thanks so much! any other suggestions you may have as to a Silver car?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The products generally will remain in perfect condition for about 3 - 5 years, assuming they were not in really high or low temps. After that they may start to degrade to varying degrees. If in doubt the best way to test them is to try them out. If you shake the bottle and it's still very inconsistent looking it is obviously a bad sign, but I would still test it out. In short I think you'll be fine as I've used products over 5yrs old with no problems.

I'd say you are fine sticking with the PBW polishes but if you want to try the Menzerna ones you may notice a slight improvement. When using a PC on BMW's I've typically gotten better results with the Menzerna polishes.

With a PC it's almost impossible to budge the overall thickness of the clear coat, which is also why you can't burn the paint. In general you are totally fine to polish as much as you'd like until you start using a rotary.

Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
tdekany
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 VR6 Jetta
If the polish mixes when shaken and doesn't stay separated, you are good to go.
tdekany is offline   Reply With Quote