E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #221
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Lol, let me know if that ever works Brady, I might start trying it on the local forums.

I did end up tearing into the e46 lsd I purchased this past summer. Sadly the seller failed to mention his real reason for removing it from the car, and upon closer inspection the inner spider gears are marked and pitted. I would guess he grenaded it, opened it up to clean it and then put it back together. Oh well, life goes on. I haven't lost hope that someone will come in here one day and have the perfect solution.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 AM   #222
Taper

My Ride: Espaņa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOberg View Post
This is one way to get a LSD E46 non-m.

E30 188 diff vs E46 diff.

E36 Diff cover

These are also from E36, And fits fine with the E30 diff and E46 halfshafts.

New mounting brackets...

Then I guess you're ready to go.

Is necessary to make an adapter to fit e46 6 bolts driveshaft to e30 4 bolts input joke?
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #223
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taper View Post
Is necessary to make an adapter to fit e46 6 bolts driveshaft to e30 4 bolts input joke?
Some e46 drive shafts are 6bolt. The 330i and maybe some others.

Did you do this? Wondering if the axle widths turn out the same. If so I may have to do this. I'm sick of an open diff.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #224
Rob43
Hates Non-Adj. Suspensions

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
IMO, what I think you guys are missing is the fact that by the time you do ALL of the mods required to make this work you could have bought a Wavetrac LSD for about ~$1155.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...096&highlight=

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I have a GREAT/CHEAP source on KONI SPORT Shocks & Struts at the moment !

Last edited by Rob43; 09-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #225
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
IMO, what I think you guys are missing is the fact that by the time you do ALL of the mods required to make this work you could have bought a Wavetrac LSD for about ~$1155.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...096&highlight=

Rob43
Thanks for the info. Might help some. But for me Not missing that at all.

First the $1155 is only for the guts. Still have to pay or do the installation.to. If one has fabrication skills and equipt, the e30 mods could be done for probably $500 total and might be easier than rebuilding the e46 diff with the new guts.

2nd the wavetrac is not a friction LSD like the e30 diff is. I've had some other style LSD in other cars and didn't like them.

3rd I may be missing something but wavetrac doesn't claim to be a LSD. At least I don't see them ever say that on their website. It's design appears to be more of a locker. Which for racing or off roaring might be great. But not suitable for my driving.

What I think many people are missing is that for about $1k one can buy a m3 LSD rear assembly and fit that into an e46. There are brake issues to examine and for 4bolt driveshafts cars the diff flange or driveshaft needs to be changed, but it is a cheap oem feel diff. Bit again not a friction diff. But has some tricks that might help it perform better. Haven't driven a car with one. So can't say.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #226
Pole position

My Ride: E46 330ci
Differential Housing Question

The wavetrac is a Torsen type lsd that also has a system to stop the power going to one side if the wheel is unloaded(the torsens main flaw). So, in the end, it works similarly to a clutch type lsd, except it creates less understeer on entry.

Badass project you have going here though

Last edited by Pole position; 09-02-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #227
Rob43
Hates Non-Adj. Suspensions

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
Thanks for the info. Might help some. But for me Not missing that at all.

First the $1155 is only for the guts. Still have to pay or do the installation.to. If one has fabrication skills and equipt, the e30 mods could be done for probably $500 total and might be easier than rebuilding the e46 diff with the new guts.

2nd the wavetrac is not a friction LSD like the e30 diff is. I've had some other style LSD in other cars and didn't like them.

3rd I may be missing something but wavetrac doesn't claim to be a LSD. At least I don't see them ever say that on their website. It's design appears to be more of a locker. Which for racing or off roaring might be great. But not suitable for my driving.

What I think many people are missing is that for about $1k one can buy a m3 LSD rear assembly and fit that into an e46. There are brake issues to examine and for 4bolt driveshafts cars the diff flange or driveshaft needs to be changed, but it is a cheap oem feel diff. Bit again not a friction diff. But has some tricks that might help it perform better. Haven't driven a car with one. So can't say.

I guess you'll need to figure this all out for yourself then, as this subject of which is better has been Beaten to death over the years. Based on my lengthy SCCA racing experience it will always be my opinion that a Gear type LSD = DD & a Clutch pack LSD = Track.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I have a GREAT/CHEAP source on KONI SPORT Shocks & Struts at the moment !
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #228
wanganstyle

My Ride: e36 M3 / E30 GTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I guess you'll need to figure this all out for yourself then, as this subject of which is better has been Beaten to death over the years. Based on my lengthy SCCA racing experience it will always be my opinion that a Gear type LSD = DD & a Clutch pack LSD = Track.
Rob43
Some people know from driving on the track; others just speculate about things

GEAR TYPE DIFFERENTIAL = GROCERY STORE A++
CLUTCH TYPE DIFFERENTIAL = CIRCUIT USE

installing random e30 LSD from 1989.......any one feel like trusting a 26 YEAR OLD differential?
I'm sure all of them at the junkyard had only like 20k miles of 0 abuse over those 26 years.
Im sure it will be GREAT to add an LSX of power to; very cheap to rebuild also (not really at all)

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

E30 M20 2,7L Alpina + Euro E46 320D ZF 6 speed install
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110010

Last edited by wanganstyle; 09-14-2015 at 10:43 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential, e36m, housing, limited slip differential, lsd