E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #201
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Wow.

Sooo, I guess i'm still waiting on some extra money to upgrade the diff and pay for the shop to work on my shiet. being a working student sucks. lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #202
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
/me waits for raj to figure this out so I can get a diff done too.

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #203
SL Blak Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
/me waits for raj to figure this out so I can get a diff done too.
hehe.

After i bumped this thread I had a thought that was later canceled out by some info that i found.

I was thinking that since our diffs are the same as e39s we could just use an e39m lsd, since they use those diffs in 540s. But then from what i've heard (i have yet to confirm it) that 540/m5 subframes are different from 528, 525, and 530s.

My other idea was to maybe find a X chassis that comes with lsd and use that, but from my search I didn't find any Xs that had lsd.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #204
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
hehe.

After i bumped this thread I had a thought that was later canceled out by some info that i found.

I was thinking that since our diffs are the same as e39s we could just use an e39m lsd, since they use those diffs in 540s. But then from what i've heard (i have yet to confirm it) that 540/m5 subframes are different from 528, 525, and 530s.

My other idea was to maybe find a X chassis that comes with lsd and use that, but from my search I didn't find any Xs that had lsd.

Do e34 diff internals swap into the e39? If so maybe that can be a way to do it
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #205
SL Blak Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Do e34 diff internals swap into the e39? If so maybe that can be a way to do it
easy answer = nope. haha. well not in the non 540/m5s.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #206
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Anyone know if 328 (e46) diffs will fit into 330s? Or if swapping the 4 bolt flange to a 6 bolt flange makes it so you need a shorter drive shaft? I'm having issues making my awd to rwd, drive train work So far I've been through 3 drive shafts. Trying to hunt down a 6 bolt flange now. I'm getting a little worried as this project is basically done. I just need to get the drive shaft in so the fabricator can make my tranny mounts. I'm having http://www.adrenalinexxx.com/ make my tranny mounts. They might just have to make me a CNC'D adapter to work. I'm really at a loss atm
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #207
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Anyone know if 328 (e46) diffs will fit into 330s? Or if swapping the 4 bolt flange to a 6 bolt flange makes it so you need a shorter drive shaft? I'm having issues making my awd to rwd, drive train work So far I've been through 3 drive shafts. Trying to hunt down a 6 bolt flange now. I'm getting a little worried as this project is basically done. I just need to get the drive shaft in so the fabricator can make my tranny mounts. I'm having http://www.adrenalinexxx.com/ make my tranny mounts. They might just have to make me a CNC'D adapter to work. I'm really at a loss atm
My 2005 has a 6 torx bolt connection and a CV joint and I think I've heard that it's shorter than earlier ones. When I look in Bentley there's no mention of my driveshaft. In BMW TIS from 2005 it shows another version with a CV joint (uses 6 nuts & bolts at the diff end). So it seems like there are at least three different designs that would bolt to three different kinds of diff flanges.

The one I have is the same as the one in this DIY:
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_diff.htm

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 09-11-2010 at 09:19 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #208
xixixi
Banned User

my god The part hunting is killing my already stuck pig wallet Looks like it's on to diff number 3
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #209
McSpeed

that's the spirit!

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #210
xixixi
Banned User

So your using an 05 3.07 with a 6 bolt? any idea on how long the 6 bolt is from diff housing to the end of it? Could you get a measurement? I gotta head down to the shop and measure mine again. (need to write this sh!t down) nvm i forget you have to drop the exhaust/heat shield. Been a long day

Last edited by xixixi; 09-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #211
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
So your using an 05 3.07 with a 6 bolt? any idea on how long the 6 bolt is from diff housing to the end of it? Could you get a measurement? I gotta head down to the shop and measure mine again. (need to write this sh!t down) nvm i forget you have to drop the exhaust/heat shield. Been a long day
Mine is out at the moment, so here:
installed it would measure something like 55 9/16" (or up to an inch or so less due to the CV joint's ability to contract)

out, accounting for hidden structures on each end, it would be about 1.5" more

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #212
xixixi
Banned User

Any idea on how to swap out the output flanges? (the ones on the side of the diff?) I tried a hammer, then I tried a bigger hammer? My 3.07 that came in my xi has 2 bolts then a good gap then 2 bolts then a good gap.. etc on the output flanges that connect to the rear half shafts? Does your 330 have that same pattern? This is what i'm trying to do.. I have a 3.46 from a 99 328i. I know i need to swap the input flange from a 2.93. However can i swap the out put flanges with my 3.07 to the 3.46? I'm about to just say fvck it and swap the input flange to my 3.07. If you can't understand this I'm sorry
Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #213
SL Blak Soldier

i forgot how, but in one diff thread the info is there. i think my friend and i wedged it out with two crowbars.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #214
xixixi
Banned User

so i need a bigger hammer?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #215
SL Blak Soldier

well, no. you have to pull both sides out equally at the same time. you can't just take a hammer to one side and then go to the other. you have to use two crow bars and push it out from each side. there is like a spring clip kinda thing you have to put enough pressure on to jump it to pull out the flange.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #216
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
well, no. you have to pull both sides out equally at the same time. you can't just take a hammer to one side and then go to the other. you have to use two crow bars and push it out from each side. there is like a spring clip kinda thing you have to put enough pressure on to jump it to pull out the flange.
So a chisel/bigger hammer.. if a bigger hammer won't fix it, nothing will:p
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #217
xixixi
Banned User

can't get my input flange off! got a 30mm socket, tried using channel locks on the input flange. Then taking it off no luck. I already smacked the locking tabs. I can't the damn nut off! Spins.. Should I have taken the input shaft out while the diff was in the car? Already had to walk 3 miles to the parts store as i forgot to get a 30mm socket... losing patience.. EDIT... Just realized I need to take the locking washer out not just bend the tabs back Thanks guys
EDIT # 2 worked for 1 shaft not the other broke my channel locks on the second one guess try a pipe wrench?

Last edited by xixixi; 10-18-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #218
SL Blak Soldier

Wow. it's been a year since this thread was alive. And since Brady's post in the other thread. I'm reviving it. Let's see if anyone has any new ideas on how to get this to work, and deal with all the issues that have come up. Especially because i keep getting stuck on driveways because of my open diff, and short shocks. -____-

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
There is a problem with this. The splined flanges that bolt to the driveshafts go through the differential casing and engage a mating spline inside the differential itself. If you are shifting the differential to one side, as your differential shop has suggested, you are reducing the depth to which the flanges on that side of the different can engage the splines in the differential. If you don't have enough contact area (i.e. depth), you can strip out the splines on a hard launch (etc.).

In my opinion, this isn't a good idea. I'm with the guy saying that it's a good idea to buy a purpose built limited slip unit.
^this is a great point. Another issue steming from this is that the e36/e30 diffs don't have a locking clip to keep output flanges in place, unlike the e46s do. (just try and pull off an output flange from an e46 diff, and you'll know what i mean).

So right now the issues(some might say they aren't issues) are as follows...

-the adapter plate that my diff shop said they'll use will push the unit over to one side of the case, which is not the correct way of doing it, according to a previous source.
-because of this, the output flange splines MIGHT not have enough bite and possible slip out. Also because there is no locking clip for the output flanges.

...this is all that i can currently think of.

I do know DSC can at times act like an LSD, by slowing down the spinning wheel by applying the brakes to that side, to send power to the other. Maybe if there can be someone to program dsc to compute that super fast, so we can have e-lsd? lol.

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 10-18-2011 at 02:08 PM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #219
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I'm glad you revived your thread & gave us this update. I'd say it really sounds like you've explored all avenues, & I for one appreciate it. At this point it looks like anyone that wants a LSD is just gonna have to ante up, that sucks but what can you do. I went with the Quaife LSD & have REALLY enjoyed it, but even that LSD with a new/used diff housing running a 3.15/3.23/3.38/3.46 installed is going to be $1800-$2000.

Thanks again for trying.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #220
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
If anyone wants to send me some cash, I can get this done, lol...

Tags
differential, e36m, housing, limited slip differential, lsd