E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
possible to have codes but no light?

there was a post a few days back of a guy who was able to read codes but had no light on dash, is this possible? cuz im trying to get to the bottom of a hesitation on the highway, and have no lights, should i buy an obdII scanner and plug it in for the f of it?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Definitely possible to have codes w/o the lights...

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
yep
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
wasp9166
ima touching member

aha, well im going to get me a tool then, see what it says, any suggestions as to a good one? i was looking at canobd2

i wonder if stored codes could interfere with the dme ability to properly manage system...........

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 01-12-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
i have a Peake R5/FCX-II and i love it. it also lets you reset codes instead of just reading them.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
TRP

My Ride: e46
wasp- do you have hesitation between like 75 and 80 mph? Basically - if you are accelerating up through 80 - do you see a slight hikkup or pause in the rpm's / acceleration as the car passes through 80, but only under moderate acceleration? (not hard / passing type acceleration)

If yes - I have the same issue and wondered if a software update might help.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
aha, well im going to get me a tool then, see what it says, any suggestions as to a good one? i was looking at canobd2

i wonder if stored codes could interfere with the dme ability to properly manage system...........
i prefer the free method, letting autozone check it
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
wasp- do you have hesitation between like 75 and 80 mph? Basically - if you are accelerating up through 80 - do you see a slight hikkup or pause in the rpm's / acceleration as the car passes through 80, but only under moderate acceleration? (not hard / passing type acceleration)

If yes - I have the same issue and wondered if a software update might help.
yep, ive been talking to a few others here and at bimmer forums, same issue...............floor it and the car runs awesome, around town its unoticeable, but on highway it pulses , more or less gas it goes away, but a certain throttle position and a certain speed, its there , and its bugging me

Quote:
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
i prefer the free method, letting autozone check it
id rather do it myself and with the help of you guys, i hate auto parts stores, or any store for that matter lol

Quote:
Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
id rather do it myself and with the help of you guys, i hate auto parts stores, or any store for that matter lol
ah, one of my best friends is the parts manager at the local auto zone, i actually drive farther to go there than if i chose another store.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
The advantage of the Peake tool is that it has all the BMW specific codes that generic scaners don't. See Bimmertools a sponsor here.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I went to Autozone once to get codes read, and they said, if there's no light there's no code... Tells you much they know...
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
mooneywa

My Ride: 2003 330i
I have this exact same problem. I went to Autozone today and I have no codes whatsoever. I reflashed the DME at the dealer a couple days ago and nothing has changed. I'm going to clean the adjuster unit today but I doubt that will do anything. Please PLEASE update me if you find anything out. This is really bugging me.
mooneywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Phoenixtsintsin

My Ride: 03 325i, 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne View Post
i have a Peake R5/FCX-II and i love it. it also lets you reset codes instead of just reading them.
Does it reset the codes and delete them from memory?

I deleted the CEL and my mechanic was still able to pull up the codes with the CEL/SES light off ... needless to say, I didn't pass inspection.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
The advantage of the Peake tool is that it has all the BMW specific codes that generic scaners don't. See Bimmertools a sponsor here.
Thanks for the referral.

I'm like a broken record to a lot of the members here, but it's important to understand that there is a difference between OBDII scan tools (like they use at autozone) and the Peake Research tools we sell. The Peake tools are BMW specific, meaning they read the factory fault codes - not OBDII emissions codes. While many codes overlap, the Peake tool will read the BMW factory fault codes. Quite simply, this is the right diagnostic tool for your BMW.

See our full selection - www.bmwscantools.com. We offer low price (below retail) and free domestic shipping.

If you have any questions about which tool is appropriate for your car, email me - ken@bimmertools.com .

Good luck!

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Phoenixtsintsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
Thanks for the referral.

I'm like a broken record to a lot of the members here, but it's important to understand that there is a difference between OBDII scan tools (like they use at autozone) and the Peake Research tools we sell. The Peake tools are BMW specific, meaning they read the factory fault codes - not OBDII emissions codes. While many codes overlap, the Peake tool will read the BMW factory fault codes. Quite simply, this is the right diagnostic tool for your BMW.

See our full selection - www.bmwscantools.com. We offer low price (below retail) and free domestic shipping.

If you have any questions about which tool is appropriate for your car, email me - ken@bimmertools.com .

Good luck!

Ken
Ken, I'm very interested. I've been beating my head trying to debug this P1188 P1189 OBD-II reading.

Does the Peake scanner delete the codes from memory?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

It does clear the memory when you reset the codes.

I've been plagued with the same codes, btw. The Peake tool shows them as abnormal O2 sensor readings. I believe there are a couple vacuum leaks that are not helping. I did replace the sensors (they were originals with 120k miles), but the codes returned. There is a visible crack in my intake boot, and I'm guessing there is at least one more. I haven't fully solved it yet.

I wrote a "how to check codes with a Peake Tool" thread here that shows the readings for those codes from both an OBDII tool and the Peake tool.

The OBD codes read as fuel control bank 1&2, the Peake lists them specifically as O2 sensor adaptations. Similar if you're familiar with the sensor's functions, but I prefer the factory definitions - even when the codes overlap like in this example.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
Phoenixtsintsin

Quote:
It does clear the memory when you reset the codes.

I've been plagued with the same codes, btw. The Peake tool shows them as abnormal O2 sensor readings. I believe there are a couple vacuum leaks that are not helping. I did replace the sensors (they were originals with 120k miles), but the codes returned. There is a visible crack in my intake boot, and I'm guessing there is at least one more. I haven't fully solved it yet.

I wrote a "how to check codes with a Peake Tool" thread here that shows the readings for those codes from both an OBDII tool and the Peake tool.

The OBD codes read as fuel control bank 1&2, the Peake lists them specifically as O2 sensor adaptations. Similar if you're familiar with the sensor's functions, but I prefer the factory definitions - even when the codes overlap like in this example.

Ken
I read your write-up on the checking the 1188 code with the Peake tool. Great write-up.

I'll be in touch shortly for one. If I'm not mistaken, the new R5 will read both the 99 and 03 model year E46's?

Thanx.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Not exactly - the new tools added compatibility up through '06. However, for cars up to '99, you will need the tool to connect to the under-hood diagnostic port. With the addition of an adapter (which we also stock), you can expand compatibility to newer cars that connect to the OBDII port.

This is where many people get confused - just because it connects to the OBDII port DOES NOT mean that it is an OBDII tool. BMW now simply shares that port for both the OBDII system and their factory diagnostics.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
Phoenixtsintsin

Quote:
Not exactly - the new tools added compatibility up through '06. However, for cars up to '99, you will need the tool to connect to the under-hood diagnostic port. With the addition of an adapter (which we also stock), you can expand compatibility to newer cars that connect to the OBDII port.

This is where many people get confused - just because it connects to the OBDII port DOES NOT mean that it is an OBDII tool. BMW now simply shares that port for both the OBDII system and their factory diagnostics.

Ken
Thanx Ken, I will be in touch shortly. Too many holiday bills at the moment.

It really bothers me on the amount of money I wasted on holiday gifts and other nonsense, when I really needed the money for a Peake tool.