E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Any vrigina gun owners familiar with virginia gun laws?

Im a florida resident going to school here. I have a florida CWL. Is it any good in the state of Va?

I dont understand the open carry laws either:
Open Carry:

* Legal when the firearm is not hidden from common observation.[261]
* The minimum age to Open Carry (OC) is 18.
* It is more common in rural areas of Virginia.
* It is uncommon in urban areas, but not unheard of nor illegal.
o Local law enforcement in some areas have been known to stop and question individuals openly carrying firearms.
* It is legal to openly carry in a vehicle.
* Since concealed carry is prohibited in restaurants and clubs that serve alcohol, it is common for someone carrying a concealed firearm to tuck their shirt behind the butt of their handgun when they enter the premises. This is known as the "Virginia Tuck."

Does this mean I can carry a gun openly at walmart?? I dont understand the virginia tuck either

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
daddys///m

My Ride: 2008 8P A3 6MT
I looked into them as I was thinking of relocating to western Virginia. FL and VA do have reciprocity for CCW holders. Open carry is legal means open carry is legal. As long as it is fully visible then it is absolutely legal to open carry, with the usual exceptions such as schools and government buildings, wherever you want. That does not mean that a business does not have to ask you to leave and in some cases (perhaps many) may just do that. That also does not mean that you will not be stopped by police and questioned in more urban areas like NoVA, particularly since I would imagine that most urbanites are not used to seeing someone exercise their rights in such an open manner. They will likely call the police and report a man with a gun. As far as the VA tuck goes, if you have a concealed holster inside your pants that your shirt covers, you simply take your shirt and tuck it inside the gun, revealing the weapon. This bypasses the CCW ban in restaurants as the weapon is no longer concealed.

Take it for what it is worth since I don't live there, but based on my research this is what I have come up with. Class III is also legal in VA and IIRC there is no handgun registration required.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

Ok great, thanks so much, you answered every single question of mine

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Crazystars
Banned

My Ride: Crazystars
Any vrigina gun owners familiar with virginia gun laws

if you have a handgun permit in one state what other states can it be used in...most states wont allow you to purchase a handgun in their state unless you are a resident...reguardless of a pistol permit...im pretty sure you can in Texas..are their any states on the East coast that will permit you?
Crazystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

Virginia let me do it, im from FL.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/363.cfm
Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
NightRunner

My Ride: Slowmobile
simple version.

you can open carry a handgun anywhere in virginia without a permit.

if you have a florida concealed carry permit, virginia honors it.

You can NOT conceal carry in restaurants or bars. You CAN open carry in them. Obviously fed govs buildings, post office, schools, etc are off limits to guns in general.

If you're more in a rural area people wont care much if you open carry. If you dress nice around northern virginia (suit, or at least something with a tie), people assume you're an LEO and don't really give you crap.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is your friend.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner View Post
simple version.

you can open carry a handgun anywhere in virginia without a permit.

if you have a florida concealed carry permit, virginia honors it.

You can NOT conceal carry in restaurants or bars. You CAN open carry in them. Obviously fed govs buildings, post office, schools, etc are off limits to guns in general.

If you're more in a rural area people wont care much if you open carry. If you dress nice around northern virginia (suit, or at least something with a tie), people assume you're an LEO and don't really give you crap.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is your friend.
So when inside the city, like downtown/main street, its wise not to open carry it? Or is that what rural refers to? Sorry, n00b here.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
6-speed

My Ride: E21 > E46
rural = country, urban = city. Some city folk aren't used to seeing people carrying. you may get a few calls to the PD about a man with a gun. I didn't know it was legal to open carry in VA till a few months ago, some VA residents may not know either. I am 10 minutes from the VA/MD border, and have family in VA. Some people say its best to concealed carry when possible, as to not make you the first "target" of an attacker. But, if an attacker sees you carrying it may persuade them not to attempt anything. If I had a permit to concealed carry, I would whenever I can. I plan on getting a VA non-resident permit in the near future. I just need to get a handgun first.
6-speed is offline   Reply With Quote