E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Fix Your Bee Sting Antenna for Under $3 - DIY

Hi guys,

I noticed that the base of my bee sting antenna on my 328i was cracked and had concerns that it might leak soon. Sure enough the sucker started leaking after a torrential downpour when I was visiting my bro out of town the other day. After a large volume of profanity, I drove to Home Depot and bought a bunch of assorted plumbing gaskets and such to see if I couldn't make a fix. I ended up finding a really good combination for a fix that will cost you no more than $3. This is a good thing considering BMW only sells the WHOLE antenna component (approximately $85).

Here is what I did.

1. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot and pickup a small thing of plumber's putty ($0.99). Then go looking for a "Replacement Cam Assembly for Delta Level Handle Faucets". The piece I had was made my Danco and had a rubber and a plastic piece in it (see attached pics). I think this part cost like $1.79 or something (cheap).

2. There are 3 pieces to your bee sting antenna. Remove the top piece by unscrewing it by hand. Remove the middle piece with a wrench or the antenna tool. Remove the third piece with a wrench or vise grips. The bottom piece has a gasket ring that is about an 1/8" thick and is like a sticky, gooey tar, so you might have to play with it a bit. This gooey ring is what fails, cracks, and leaks. Mine was so old it fell off in pieces, so once I took off the antenna, there was no going back.

3. On the middle part of your antenna there is an O-Ring type gasket. Remove this. Open up your package of parts from the hardware and take out the rubber gasket. This new rubber piece fits snuggly over the middle part of your antenna and will take the place of your old base.

4. Put the O-ring back onto the middle part.

5. Fill the new base with plumbers putty. Be liberal with it as you can wipe off the excess and it never really dries. Do your best to keep the screw hole free of putty, but I don't think it will hurt if you make a mess.

6. Reinstall antenna by pressing and screwing it firmly into place. Some putty should squeeze out the bottom. This can be wiped off.

7. Leak test it, or if you're like me, wake up at 3 a.m. to another torrential downpour and pray that the work you did kept your car dry since you did not leak test it. Fortunately for me this worked like a charm and saved me $80+.

Let me know if you have any questions, it should be pretty straightforward once you dive in. The only thing i want to note is that my diversity antenna is cosmetic only (not serving any function). Although i doubt the plumbers putty would interfere with the reception, I have not tested it to verify.

Best of luck,

NicB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Danco Parts - Rubber Piece Removed.JPG
Views:	935
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	238259   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Plumber's Putty.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	238260   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. The 3 Antenna Parts.JPG
Views:	1027
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	238261   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. Underside of Rubber Piece.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	238262  

Name:	5. Top Side of Rubber Piece.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	238263   Click image for larger version

Name:	6. Middle with O-Ring and Base.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	238264   Click image for larger version

Name:	7. New Base with O-Ring.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	238265   Click image for larger version

Name:	8. New Base with O-Ring Installed.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	238266  

Name:	9. Pack with Plumber's Putty.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	238267   Click image for larger version

Name:	10. Goodbye Leak.JPG
Views:	1077
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	238268  

Last edited by NicB.; 08-08-2007 at 11:19 PM.
NicB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
jeremysmith1967
a.k.a. Norton

My Ride: 00 328ci & 67 stang
Send a message via AIM to jeremysmith1967
Nice job. When mine started to leak I just taped off around the antenna and used some black silicone. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Great DIY!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
unleashed603

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Send a message via AIM to unleashed603
wow. i have been trying to fix this forever. great thinking
unleashed603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
.danny.

My Ride: '02 BMW 330Ci
wow, looks like you had someone smart helping you out... ahem... good job bro!
.danny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
AdamLandon
Banned

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
my car has an external antenna? never really bothered to look...
AdamLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
NicB.

^^ Your car may not have an external antenna. Even if it does, it might be a shark fin. I'd check though...if it leaks, even a small amount, it will still stain your headliner.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLandon View Post
my car has an external antenna? never really bothered to look...
only on some 323/328 models. the radio antenna is in the rear glass on all E46 besides cabrios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicB. View Post
^^ Your car may not have an external antenna. Even if it does, it might be a shark fin. I'd check though...if it leaks, even a small amount, it will still stain your headliner.
Nice DIY. Not sure if you were saying the shark fin could leak, it can't since it's only taped on and no holes drilled in roof for that application.
Once again nice DIY. It would be great if you could do a respot of this in the DIY Forum so when people look it up it'll be there.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
rubyatlanta

My Ride: 2000 323i
Wow, thanks for the great DIY! Had the same leaking issue. Only problem seems to be is that the top antenna part, when fully screwed in, isn't flush against the middle part of the bee sting. Is that because the new lower base is shorter, enabling the female screw terminal to stick up higher, etc. etc.?

I just worry that because it isn't flush, it isn't watertight.

Thanks for posting the DIY, though. Spot on!

Any ideas?
rubyatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
NicB.

Yes, I noticed that as well, by like a millimeter. I haven't had any issues, but will let you know if I do. Please do the same!

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Cheezemurda

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Man I wish I had seen this before I went out and bought a shark fin to replace mine. I'm still gonna bookmark this.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
unleashed603

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Send a message via AIM to unleashed603
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyatlanta View Post
Wow, thanks for the great DIY! Had the same leaking issue. Only problem seems to be is that the top antenna part, when fully screwed in, isn't flush against the middle part of the bee sting. Is that because the new lower base is shorter, enabling the female screw terminal to stick up higher, etc. etc.?

I just worry that because it isn't flush, it isn't watertight.

Thanks for posting the DIY, though. Spot on!

Any ideas?

I had the same gap when i did it on mine. I just grabbed an o ring and slid it on it to make up for the gap. looks fine, cant even tell and mine is leak free now.
unleashed603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
NicB.

Poured down rain again a couple of days ago. Still dry!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
323i_ATX

My Ride: 99' 323i sedan
I just sealed my Antenna just 5 min ago. It has been leaking very badly. I have not tested it though. It was very very simple and I actually found the part at Home Depot. THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!
323i_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
x509v3

My Ride: 2000 328i
Best. Thread. Ever.

Mark me down "me too". 2000 328i.

These directions were great. I ended up going to Home Depot and finding the exact part I needed.

When I assembled the parts, though, there was a gap between the top and middle parts because of the O-ring. I ended up putting the O-ring back where BMW put it and everything fit much better.

Thanks for the tip!

p.s. I also noticed that the weatherstripping under the front wipers is all cracked. So I suspect that BMW rubber and gaskets just breaks down after about 6 or 7 years. I'll have to closely inspect all the weatherstripping pieces now.
x509v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #16
grnbmr808

My Ride: green 4 da money 323
that cover under the windshield wipers is called the cowl cover, and yes bmw rubber components to seem to fail after a couple years, thats why ive replaced all mine, and shaved my antenna off.

5% tint-cf emblems-blackout grill-smoked front corners and side markers-smoked led tails-alpine iva-d105 dvd deck-7 inch headrest screens-alpine mids/highs-15" kicker L7 sub-3000 watt sub amp-600 watt 4 channel amp-3 farad cap-removed 3rd brake light-debadged-xenon bulbs in exterior-xenon interior coversion-green fogs-replaced all trims/cowl-shaved antenna-*new paint job*
grnbmr808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
DrElectron

My Ride: 2000 323i
Bee Sting Antenna Fix DIY for less

I fixed my leak using a rubber O ring. Specifically, Danco #18 O rings are available at Home Depot. They use to sell them individually but they now come in a box of 10 for $2. This ring has an inner diameter of 15/16" and fit the base of the bee sting perfectly. No plumbers putty or messy caulk is needed so the entire job takes about 5 minutes. Also, I want to make sure that everyone understands that there is no need to remove the headliner. You can remove the antenna base to get to the gasket area from above.

Last edited by DrElectron; 01-18-2008 at 11:30 PM.
DrElectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
ChapJohn

Leak, water dripping from the cover under the center brake light!

Ditto. Lowes sells the o-ring pack for $1.58. Five minutes and a 13/16 open end wrench did the deed! Thanks for another great tip.
My back seat is the worse for the wear, however, with seams seperating, etc. Just noticed it this week and thought it through enough to know that the water under the center of my back seat did not come from a door seal, but from that overhead compartment.
Now, I'll take the seat to Custom Upholstery at Myrtle Beach and let the guys recover it. He is really reasonable, does great custom work. At least one local new car dealer lets him put leather seats in new cars sometimes, instead of ordering the oem stuff.
Worth a shot, don't you think?
ChapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
slysloth

thought it was my drains for the sunroof that was causing my recent leaking issue. guess I'll do this first then see if it still leaks!!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
jpupster

My Ride: e46 323ci, e21 320is
phone antenna fix

NicB you are a genius. Fixed mine today. Just like you said, DIY, under $3.

jpupster 323ci
jpupster is offline   Reply With Quote