E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Zelaya

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFPAST3 View Post
Hey what brand opener are you using? I did the installation without a hitch until i got to the programming. The homelink just WON'T LEARN THE SIGNAL from my GENIE transmitter!!!
I've a craftman garage opener and I did exactly what says in homelink instruction but I ended up going all the way to step 4 which was I went to my garage module (located in the ceiling) and just press the red button but don't hold it or otherwise will reset the whole thing and I came back to the car and press button #1 for maybe 3 seconds until I heard a click and flash from the garage module and that was it. Please note that the universal remote will only work while the key is inserted in the ignition. Good luck

http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM-MAN View Post
I second that!! Excellent stuff man. Getting my opener installed soon. Now to find a cheap module. Can't wait to see your Parrot bluetooth DIY. I want that exact setup.
Check this seller which I bought one from him he might have another one for sale.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...893&highlight=
Zelaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #22
Camelius

My Ride: M3 Vert
Does the car have to be prewired for Homelink? If not, is it just power, light and ground wiring? I'm not sure if the euro models have this prewiring.
Camelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelius View Post
Does the car have to be prewired for Homelink? If not, is it just power, light and ground wiring? I'm not sure if the euro models have this prewiring.
It is basically power/ground wiring. You can tap into a bunch of stuff for that around your dash and headliner area

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #24
Mike00135

My Ride: BMW
Question

Can't find the wire is their a chance my car doesn't have the wire installed?
Mike00135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #25
gnome

My Ride: 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
No, you can just program it from the remote control. Its easy and quick.
Hey does this HL module or the rear view mirror module work with SEARS late model Garage Door openers? I have two cheesy garage door openers on my visors (yes 2, as Sears changed the frequencies 2 years ago - one model has dark blue buttons and one model has black buttons and they are not cross-compatible.).

Not sure what vendor limits exist...?
THX
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
I noticed the bulge on my headliner isn't as big as the one in Delmarco's, is that only due to mine being a 2 door and his a 4? I would love to put this in so I can open the door to my parkade. Does anybody know which cars came prewired for homelink?
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
... Your Homelink wire harness will be wrapped up in black velvet tape and should be tucked in towards the passenger side of the car. I had to dig pretty deep to get mine out. Be careful not to damage the sunroof motor parts.
You weren't kidding! I removed my panel and found two velvet wrapped connectors. Neither was the correct one. I could not find the connector for the Homelink, I double checked my trunk for the "pre-wired" button and it was there. So, I looked again - brighter flashlight, small mirror, from the driver side and passenger side - nothing. Took a five minute break and looked again. This time I just reached my fingers as far as they would go over towards the passenger side. Almost felt like I was over the sunvisor, but I could feel another velvet wrapped wire, so I started to ease it towards the opening and bingo! From there I cut the opening in the panel, installed the Homelink and programed it. Work fines with my Lift-Master (Chamberlain) opener. Thanks delmarco for the DIY and lots of pictures.

Question: I have a 2001 330Ci with sunroof and my panel was flat. The Homelink still fit OK. Which cars have the bulge panel and will this bulge panel fit in my 330Ci?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homelink Panel 1.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	344328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homelink Panel 2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	344329  

Last edited by York; 01-10-2010 at 09:07 PM.
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #28
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
You weren't kidding! I removed my panel and found two velvet wrapped connectors. Neither was the correct one. I could not find the connector for the Homelink, I double checked my trunk for the "pre-wired" button and it was there. So, I looked again - brighter flashlight, small mirror, from the driver side and passenger side - nothing. Took a five minute break and looked again. This time I just reached my fingers as far as they would go over towards the passenger side. Almost felt like I was over the sunvisor, but I could feel another velvet wrapped wire, so I started to ease it towards the opening and bingo! From there I cut the opening in the panel, installed the Homelink and programed it. Work fines with my Lift-Master (Chamberlain) opener. Thanks delmarco for the DIY and lots of pictures.

Question: I have a 2001 330Ci with sunroof and my panel was flat. The Homelink still fit OK. Which cars have the bulge panel and will this bulge panel fit in my 330Ci?
No. The roof line is shorter and wider on the coupes than on the sedan and this discrepancy is reflected in the shape and size of the attached headliner and all the pieces on the headliner the homelink hatch being one of them.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #29
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Nice and clear diy - something to put on the radar!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtuner View Post
I noticed the bulge on my headliner isn't as big as the one in Delmarco's, is that only due to mine being a 2 door and his a 4? I would love to put this in so I can open the door to my parkade. Does anybody know which cars came prewired for homelink?
Prewiring is listed on the inside liner of the trunk by the tool kit when you open it. The little round buttons tell you what was prewired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
I installed this as well last week and i have a coupe (325ci) and I did not have the bulge. The bulge is only on sedans and not coupes. I do not know why. I do not think the panel will fit but I could be wrong.
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

great diy delmarco i only have two things to add from doing this myself

1) unplugging the mic and the sunroof switch was a PITA!!
Anyone else feel that way??

I had to yank from the wire bundle and rammed my knuckels on metal twice.
I thought I was going to break it

2) do not do this in the winter when its cold out either! like me when it was around 40 in the garage.

I think this is why the connectors where such a PITA to unplug and it was also why i sheared off 3 of the plastic clips.

The panel sits there still, but there is an obvious gap where those clips where supposed to go. Now I gotta go buy a new panel in the summer/spring when it gets warm out

I recommend anyone to do this, but do it cautiously and definately follow this diy, i used it and it was fantastic
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
Nice! Bookmarking this for later
Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #33
km4n

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
This one was brand new and the new style for rolling codes.
Delmarco, you mentioned that there are newer ones that are for rolling codes. How do you know it is for rolling codes since most of the ads on Ebay don't mention that.
km4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #34
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by km4n View Post
Delmarco, you mentioned that there are newer ones that are for rolling codes. How do you know it is for rolling codes since most of the ads on Ebay don't mention that.
The buttons on the newer gen ones have the white numbers. The older ones have all black buttons.

This is the NEWER 2nd Generation Model with all the features:

This is the OLD 1st Generation Model (has non Rolling Code and lacks full remote functions):

Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #35
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by km4n
hey, so what items are homelink, i.e. you mentioned that you can search for items that will turn your tv on, etc. when i search homelink on ebay it only brings back car modules..
Sorry I wasn't specific

You want to search for "home remote kits" or "remote power"
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=rem...link&_osacat=0

This is actually one of the kits I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Remote-...item414c861db1

They are a lot more various types of switches and remote but the most IMPORTANT thing is that it MUST BE REMOTE powered or controlled for it to work with your homelink.

Last edited by delmarco; 01-31-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #36
km4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
Prewiring is listed on the inside liner of the trunk by the tool kit when you open it. The little round buttons tell you what was prewired.
I don't see these buttons in my 02 325i. Do they put these pre-wiring buttons in Canadian models? Can someone take a picture of it and post it?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #37
km4n

did you guys take out the battery when doing this DIY?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #38
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
I don't think that is necessary at all.

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #39
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

Quote:
no it is totally unecessary.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #40
delmarco

Quote:
I don't see these buttons in my 02 325i. Do they put these pre-wiring buttons in Canadian models? Can someone take a picture of it and post it?
see first post in this PICTORIAL DIY Thread! I heard they are tons of pictures concerning the prewiring....