E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
MrMartin

My Ride: 2008 335xi
Lightbulb Installation of License Plate LED lights

Hi All
I did some searching on this topic and couldn't find anthing on it. If there is a thread on this topic that does exist, please paste the link after your condesending face palm.

I ordered WeissLicht LED License Plate Illumination Upgrade from Bimmian.ca. The DIY on this is 1/5 so I know there is something small I am missing but I can't seem to find out what it is. The car is an 04 320i so I had stock filament bulbs that I have removed. Now I am stuck. Do I remove the housing or do I try to intall these directly on the old filament housing? The way it looks to me is I just dont have enough room to fit the LED's in. Even with the housing removed I am still skeptical that I will have enough room. If anyone could share some knowledge on how to install these or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

My apologies in advance for the crappy pics, they were taken with a blackberry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00021-20090909-1046.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	330828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00022-20090909-1046.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	330829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00023-20090909-1046.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	330830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00024-20090909-1047.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	330831  

MrMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Punkz32

My Ride: '03 M3, '93 TTZ
The way I did it was just pop the covers off and put the new bulbs in. The LED bulbs I had were a little larger then the OEM ones but for that all I did was a slight bend of the tab and it went in fine.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Devas

My Ride: 2011 E90 M3
Are you trying to install them on a Sedan? cause I was told by Bimmian that they dont fit sedans E46
Devas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
brandonpburns

My Ride: 2000 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkz32 View Post
The way I did it was just pop the covers off and put the new bulbs in. The LED bulbs I had were a little larger then the OEM ones but for that all I did was a slight bend of the tab and it went in fine.
whats up plano? always cool to see another DFW e46'er

neways OP, Punkz32 is talking about LED type bulbs that snap in where the old halogens went. i believe the weiss set is true LED replacement...meaning you will need to remove the old halogen housings...if you havnt already done so, prob a good idea to remove the trunk lid liner so you can access the back of the license plate lights..im sure its prob necessary for the installation..

did you check bimmians site for install guide? they usually have an install guide or video for almost all their products
Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Solatso

My Ride: 2001 330i
I think you can get back there by removing the carpet on the inside of the trunk lid but I could be wrong. If so there are 4 plastic plugs that hold it on, just pop them off and you should have access to that area. Beyond that I don't know.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
If you bought the full LED replacement housings, it just replaces the entire housing assembly. Should just snap right in.
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
barchetta316

My Ride: 04 //M3
Send a message via AIM to barchetta316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan@Jlevi SW View Post
If you bought the full LED replacement housings, it just replaces the entire housing assembly. Should just snap right in.
Im having the same problem as MrMartin(I have a e46 m3 w/ LED tails)... The new weisslicht LED housing is to big to just snap right in. I feel if i use too much force i will end up breaking the LED's. Cant seem to find any DIY's anywhere on this product
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barchetta316 View Post
Im having the same problem as MrMartin(I have a e46 m3 w/ LED tails)... The new weisslicht LED housing is to big to just snap right in. I feel if i use too much force i will end up breaking the LED's. Cant seem to find any DIY's anywhere on this product
I'm about to buy some myself

I'm pretty sure there are 2 different kinds from WeissLicht... one for e46 that came with factory LED tails, and ones that came with factory Halogens... maybe there's a size difference on the trunk itself?
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
barchetta316

My Ride: 04 //M3
Send a message via AIM to barchetta316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
I'm about to buy some myself

I'm pretty sure there are 2 different kinds from WeissLicht... one for e46 that came with factory LED tails, and ones that came with factory Halogens... maybe there's a size difference on the trunk itself?

well the ones that are supposed to fit OEM LED's, dont fit lol.......does anyone know where i can find a DIY?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
hicucr

My Ride: 2005 330ci
I just got my WeissLicht in today and on the box it states to just snap it into where the old ones were, after taking the old cover and bulb out but im having difficulty too
hicucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicucr View Post
I just got my WeissLicht in today and on the box it states to just snap it into where the old ones were, after taking the old cover and bulb out but im having difficulty too
Just got mine today, they went in easy, but there's a lot of other issues, so i'm reserving judgement until i can see them at night. If you are having difficulty putting them in, make sure that the contact points on the LED circuit board are going on the inside of the two contact prong thingies up in the trunk lid. (Assuming yours originally had Halogens)
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
I had those WeissLicht ones for about 2 weeks before I raged and binned them. The right one would ALWAYS flicker on and off and no matter how hard I tried, it would never remain lit. The left one was fine though, but it looks so horrible with one on and the other off. In the end, I trashed the entire set (equivalent of trashing $50) and bought myself the LED bulbs from Khoalty. Same effect, way less hassle. Took me less than 2 minutes to put them on and be done with it.

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/led-b...te-lights.html

Extremely pleased with them.
Cyanide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Kobaili

My Ride: ///M3 Dropped Top
I had the Weisslicht set on my E46 and the didn't fit correctly as advertised so I returned them. I have since bought some LED bulbs with the resistors built in. They work great with no error codes and they look sik at night also.

Tags
led, license, light