E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
backdoc

My Ride: 2000 323ci
E46 323ci to 330ci brake swap

I am concidering upping the brakes on my 2000 323ci. I need to do the pads and rotors soon and want to improve the stopping power. The car has many mods, (including stainless lines, ATE gold and Pagid pads) but not enough horse power to warrant M3-ish BBK upgrades. I'm more interested in performance vs. "bling" bang for the $$. If I get the 330ci calipers, hangers, rear guards, etc. is it a direct swap or are there any modifications required?
backdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
323Coupe

My Ride: Jet Black 00' 323ci
i believe the calipers (but dont quote me) are the same so you wouldnt gain anymore stopping power. the best bet would go with a set of calipers from someone like brembo or stoptech. Anyone out there that can provide some more info on this? your best bet for now is a good set of pads that are a combo of street and race pads and a nice set of cross drilled or slotted rotors. I only upgraded my brakes with a set of brembo rotors,pagid pads and goodridge stainless steel brake lines and did a complete brake system flush with ATE Super Blue brake fuild. the brakes are firmer and seem stop much better. hope this helps
323Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc
I am concidering upping the brakes on my 2000 323ci. I need to do the pads and rotors soon and want to improve the stopping power. The car has many mods, (including stainless lines, ATE gold and Pagid pads) but not enough horse power to warrant M3-ish BBK upgrades. I'm more interested in performance vs. "bling" bang for the $$. If I get the 330ci calipers, hangers, rear guards, etc. is it a direct swap or are there any modifications required?

You need 330 calipers, carriers, rotors, pads, and lines. Swapping the dust shield requires removing the hub so I suggest bending or trimming your stock dust shield is there is any interference. The 330 caliper has a different part #. I don't know if the difference is cosmetic, hydraulic (piston dia.), or mechanical (mounting points).

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
backdoc

My Ride: 2000 323ci
323ci to 330ci swap

The 330ci rotors are MUCH bigger than the stock 323 and the calipers are also larger. I already tried the fluid, pad, rotor and line route. Better but not as good as I'd like. The stopping power is noticeably better in the 330. I considered a BBK but don't see the need for 14+" rotors on my car. I'd rather save the money now and get an M3/4 in a year or two, run a huge front/ rear BBK stuffed in 19" wheels and not have to worry about putting on 17" snow tires.
backdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
JBlack

My Ride: Z3, 318is, 325i
I have done this upgrade - but it was on a E36 318is. The 318is and 323 brakes are not that different....

#1 - you do not need new lines - if you already have SS lines, you are good to go.

For the front - you need 330 calipers, carriers (that is the proper term for hangers), pads and sensors (323 or 330 sensors - doesn't matter). The dust shield will not interfere at all - you need not trim or bend it.

For the rear - the 323 (and 325 and 328) all use the same rear trailing arm and caliper. The 330 uses a different trailing arm, so compatibiliy is unknow (AFAIK). I used 328 calipers, rotors, carriers and pads. What this means to you is if you get 328 carriers and rotors, you are good to go with bigger rotors in the rear. Here are some numbers..

323 front rotors are 286mm (diameter) by 22mm (thickness)
330 front rotors are 325 by 25

323 rear rotors are 276 by 19 (Same caliper as the 325/328, just a different carrier)
328 rear rotors are 294 by 19 (Same caliper as the 323, just a different carrier)
330 rear rotors are 320 by 22

When interchanging calipers on 3 series, if the rotor thinckness is the same between cars, the calipers are the same.

Hope this helps!
JBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
TSTOUT27

My Ride: e46 323Ci
what size rim would you need if you are to do the upgrade from 323ci to 330i? would 17 inch rims give enough clearance?
TSTOUT27 is offline   Reply With Quote