E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #241
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
I do not use pre cut pieces. I cut and trim everything on the car. It fits better that way. Pre cut pieces tend to either require trimming anyways, or if you stretch/move it a little too much you end up with too little material in other areas.

-Don
Gotcha, makes sense. I'm halfway tempted to try this on the mustang, for the roof and spoiler. The "kits" I've seen advertised are all running around $500+, though.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #242
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
That's a stupid amount of money, for just a kit, to be frank. Mustangs (depending on the year) for the most part are one of the easiest roofs to do. Small and no antennas, etc, on the roof to deal with.

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #243
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
yeah, one of them I actually asked a few questions about, thinking it might be a carbon fiber overlay or roof panel, he said nope, just pre-cut vinyl kit. I'm guessing the "kit" part is what jacked up the cost, razor blades, a template to lay it on for cutting, window stickers advertising who you bought it from, etc etc etc.
I'm really hoping his cost included shipping the car to him to do the installation.

EDIT: I'll shoot you a PM if my wife lets me do anything to the car

EDIT2: although she does want DPE wheels. I explained that DPEs were nowhere near in the budget right now

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 02-03-2012 at 10:34 AM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #244
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Making a pre cut sheet for a roof is time consuming, because it's such a big piece. You need a big plotter and possibly multiple tries (which means installing and removing the same thing a couple of times) to get the fitment perfect.

-Don
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #245
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I've been running a special on the 3M Di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl wraps and the owner of this silver ISF drove up from San Diego to me in Orange County to have it done. This is the matte carbon fiber finish. I wrapped both his roof and his side door pillars with the 3M di noc material. I thought it looked great against the silver paint/color of the car. The cf pattern really gave this ISF a more aggressive presence. It also matched the darker wheels fairly well also.

Before:

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #246
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Did this one probably a year ago, but just realized that I never posted pictures of it. It is a black G37 sedan that I vinyl wrapped the roof in the 3M Di-noc matte carbon fiber finish. It's not often that I get black cars coming by to get their roofs wrapped, so this is good for those out there who have darker colored cars or black cars to get an idea of how the carbon fiber would look on your roofs. It gives it a nice contrast. From far away it looks flat-ish, but once you get up closer, you start seeing the design and carbon fiber weave pattern. The owner of this car was from around south Orange County I believe.

-Dom

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #247
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is a black BMW E90 335i that I vinyl wrapped the roof with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was from around the LA area and drove out to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. I had also vinyl wrapped his window trim in matte black a while back as well. It's not very noticeable in the pictures, but the mirror caps were real carbon fiber, as a reference point for how the vinyl compares to real carbon.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #248
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I vinyl wrapped the roof of this red E46 3 series BMW with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. His roof spoiler and trunk were real carbon fiber. The roof spoiler was already starting to yellow a little bit, from the looks of it. You won't have this issue with the vinyl, which is a plus. The owner of this car came out to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills from around the Los Angeles area to get the vinyl work done.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #249
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I vinyl wrapped the roof of this red E46 3 series BMW with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. His roof spoiler and trunk were real carbon fiber. The roof spoiler was already starting to yellow a little bit, from the looks of it. You won't have this issue with the vinyl, which is a plus. The owner of this car came out to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills from around the Los Angeles area to get the vinyl work done.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #250
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car contacted me to see if I could wrap the fading back pillars on his black Mercedes SLK. He decided to go with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber material for this, to give it a nice contrast and at the same time hide/cover up the peeling/fading black pieces. The owner of this car was actually just up the street from me in Anaheim Hills.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #251
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is an imola red BMW E46 M3 that had me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material. I tried to take more pictures to try and help show the differences between carbon fiber weaves in the 3M 1080 vs the 3M di-noc material. I believe the owner of this car was from San Diego and came up to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. The weave in the 1080 material is a lot smaller/finer, and due to the nature of the material, it comes out wavier than the dinoc material.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #252
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Somewhat more recently, I had this titanium silver BMW E46 330i ZHP sedan come by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl material for him. I think this is the first E46 or even BMW in general that I have worked on that did not have a sunroof, which was pretty cool. As you can see in the pictures, both the side roof rails were wrapped along with the roof for this car. The owner of this car was from around the Los Angeles county and came out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get it done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #253
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had a new silver Lexus CT200h come by to have me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was also from Irvine / Orange County. Took some close up pictures around the antenna area and side rails, just to show you the extent of the vinyl coverage and it looks up close. I think the roof accented the silver color of the car fairly well, especially since this carbon fiber finish has somewhat of a silver/gray tone to it, even though it is the black carbon fiber finish. The owner of this car also wants me to wrap his hood with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber material and tint his tails as well, so once I do those, I'll post some more pictures.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 05-16-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #254
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This isomething a little different. It isn't a roof, but I did vinyl wrap the roof of this silver Lexus ISF with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber material a couple of months prior. The owner of this car ended up coming back to have me vinyl wrap the center of his hood with the matte black material and wrap the two sides of the hood in the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. We were originally going to only do the center in matte black, but the owner decided to do this after seeing it on another car. The owner of this car came from San Diego up to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the work done. I think it really filled in the hood nicely and gave it a pretty cool look.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #255
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue F10 BMW 550i contacted me to see if I could vinyl wrap the diffuser on his car with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material. He brought his car out to me in Orange County from around Riverside, for me do to the work on his car. Usually a lot of diffusers are not very practical to wrap due to their shapes/curves, which makes it hard for the vinyl to stick and stay conformed to over time. However, this one was fairly flat and there wasn't too much heat from around the exhaust areas on this car so that was a good thing as well.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #256
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This gray / silver Mazda RX-8 came by to have me vinyl wrap the hood of his car with the 3M Di-Noc matte carbon fiber vinyl material to cover over his factory black hood that he had on there. The owner of this car drove up to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from San Diego county to have me do the vinyl work on his car. The weather was a bit over cast that day, so the carbon fiber weave in the vinyl did not stand out that much when photographed. From further away, the vinyl appears more of a solid flat/matte-ish and then when you get closer you start seeing the carbon fiber weaves in the vinyl.

As comparison, the eyelids on the headlights are real carbon fiber pieces.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #257
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This Alpine White BMW E90 4-door 335i came by to have me vinyl wrap his chrome / brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. In addition to doing his window trim, I also wrapped his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber finish to really set off the car. We had the antenna fin cover painted matte black, which went fairly well with the matte finish of the roof. The matte black window trim and matte roof also ties in together nicely. Also as a reference point, the trunk spoiler is real carbon fiber. From further away the carbon fiber finish looks more of a solid matte / flat black finish, but as you get closer to the car/roof, the carbon fiber weaves/design becomes more visible, which is also another nice subtle touch/look.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #258
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
that diffuser wrap looks great
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #259
JayKayo
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to JayKayo