E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #281
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Here is a silver TL type S that came by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with my gloss black vinyl material. He drove out from around the Inland Empire/Riverside area to me in Orange County to have it done. I really liked the way the roof turned out/looked on this car. A gloss black roof on a silver car gives the car a very clean, simple, and elegant look.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #282
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I have people always asking me how well my material holds up over time and how long does it last. Well, here is a black MkV VW GTI that I did roughly 2 - 2.5 years ago. I vinyl wrapped the center section of his grill in my matte black vinyl material. This is as exposed to road debris and wear and tear as any wrap is going to get, being on the front of the bumper. There are some nicks here and there from sharp rock chips/hits, but nothing out of the ordinary that you wouldn't expect to see on a car's front bumper that's been daily driven for the last couple of years.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #283
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This white Lexus IS350 dropped by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with my gloss black material. Hopefully these pictures will help out those who have carbon fiber hoods see how the gloss black vinyl roof matches/looks with a carbon hood. I thought that the gloss black vinyl roof complimented the carbon fiber hood and other carbon fiber/black accents on the car fairly well. The owner of this car was from around Cerritos and came out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

-Don
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #284
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I vinyl wrapped both the roof of this car and his window trim in my gloss black vinyl material. However, I am just going to post pictures of the roof done for now. I'll post pictures of the gloss black vinyl wrapped window trim that I also did on this car later. You can still sort of make out the gloss black window trim in the pictures, for those who were considering on doing both and weren't sure which finish to go with on the window trim with their gloss black vinyl'd roofs.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #285
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had some requests for some more eye level angles, so I mixed those in with some of the higher angle ones to help you guys better visualize what it looks like. I usually get a lot of white and black cars coming by to get vinyl work done, so it's always different when other colored cars come by to get some vinyl work done. I think this is probably the second or third yellow car that I have had come by. The owner of this car was from around Cerritos and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. We went with the gloss black to match the lips/finish on the wheels.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #286
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is not a car that I personally worked on. This car belongs to one of my customers that installed the vinyl wrap himself for his roof. I asked him for these pictures, because this is the flat black material, which is not to be confused with the matte black that you see in all of my other pictures. I've had this flat black material for a while now, but I never had requests for it, so I never got around to using it myself.

I don't have many pictures of it, but hopefully these will be enough to sort of give you guys an idea of how it looks like on a car.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 04-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #287
UserBlade1
Banned User

My Ride: M3
that z look sick!!!
UserBlade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #288
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Yea, I really liked the way the black roof looked on that yellow Z.

I've been getting a lot of people asking me about matte black vs gloss black and which would be better for their cars. Matte black is usually better on a more aggressive looking car. Most Subarus are able to pull off the matte black look fairly well, even with a relatively more stock-ish car. Either way, here are some pictures of this white Subaru hatchback/wagon that I did the roof with in matte black and also tinted his tails red to unbling the chrome factory tail lights. The owner of this car was from around LA and drove down to me in Orange County.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #289
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is a brand new silver Mercedes E63 sedan that I vinyl wrapped both the roof and the chrome window trim + trunk handle on the rear. For the roof, we went with a gloss black vinyl wrap finish to give it a panoramic or gloss black painted look. In addition to the roof, the side roof rails were also wrapped in gloss black, which on this car extends from the bottom of the windshield to the back of the roof. On the window trim, we went with the matte black vinyl wrap finish over the gloss black in this case, to give it a nice contrast and have it blend in with the rubber that's also around the window trim pieces. It makes the window trim pop a bit more versus just completely blending in with the windows, if that makes sense.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #290
B15

My Ride: 2006 x3
Do you have any pics of an X3?

'06 X3 3.0i, Auto, TiAg, Black Leather, Premium, Cold Weather, Heated Wheel, Adaptive Xenons
B15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #291
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Sorry, no I do not.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #292
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I've had a few people ask me what a gloss black vinyl wrapped roof would look like on a more stock/factory looking car. I vinyl wrapped the roof of this white BMW E46 325i sedan in my gloss black vinyl material. For this particular car, if the owner of this car was to have keep this car as is, without doing too many other mods, gloss black would definitely be the correct choice over matte black or carbon fiber, etc. Those finishes would be too aggressive for the car. Don't mind the pink emblems. This car was owned by a girl. The owner of this car drove out to me from Irvine/Orange County.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 04-26-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #293
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Brand new alpine white BMW 550i F10 sedan, less than a week old. The owner of this car had me vinyl wrap the roof of his F10 in gloss black including the side roof rails on his car. The antenna was painted gloss jet black to match the roof. This car came out to me to from Buena Park area to Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I think the gloss black roof really suited this bigger body car very well, especially with the black trunk spoiler and darker gunmetal wheels. The car came with the sport package factory shadowline trim from the factory already, so that match fairly well with the roof as well.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #294
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Not exactly sure the name of the color of this 370z, but the color looked silver. Either way, I vinyl wrapped the roof of this car in my gloss black material. The owner drove from Los Angeles county to me in Orange County to the roof wrapped. The curves of the roof really help make the gloss black roof pop and stand out a bit more. The owner of this car plastidip his antenna in the matte black finish. So this is good for those who wanted to get gloss black roofs and wanted to plastidip their antennas. I believe plastidip has a gloss black version out now that'd probably work better.

Some of the plastidip peeled off/up a bit when installing the vinyl. Tip of advice, plastidip the antenna after the roof is wrapped, instead of plastidipping i tbeforehand.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 05-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #295
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue VW Mk4 Jetta contacted me regarding the clear coat/paint issues that he has been having on his roof. The original plan was to wrap the trunk, roof, and hood, to cover up and prevent any further oxidizing of the paint. However, I told him to just go with the roof first, to test it out and see how that turns out first before continuing with the rest.

Vinyl is only an alternative to paint, it is not a replacement. However, in this case, it was a cheaper option and better than leaving the roof to oxidize further. The better condition the roof is in, the better the final results of the vinyl wrap will be. The vinyl material is very thin, about the same thickness as the car's paint, so it is by no means a body filler. Luckily for the owner of this car, even though the roof was in pretty bad condition, the vinyl was able to hide/cover up most of the oxidation without showing through the vinyl itself.

We went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the roof to give it a more factory look, versus going with the matte black finish or carbon fiber finishes.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #296
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Sorry if I have not responded to PMs or e-mails as fast/quickly over the last week or so. I had a friend pass away. His name was Jonathan Pham. He was the person who got me into doing vinyl and the reason why I do vinyl wrapping today, so I had been busy attending to his passing.

I had this white Mercedes Benz C63 AMG sedan come by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of their car in my gloss black material to give it the panoramic roof look. I believe the owner of this car was from Los Angeles and drove out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to have the work done. I also did the side front bumper slats in the matte 3M carbon fiber di-noc material, which was a bit tricky to cut, since it had to be done freehand and there were no real lines/curves to follow. I forgot to take the before pictures, but I am sure you can imagine what a white roof would have looked like on this car before I vinyl wrapped the roof black.

Blacking out the chrome in either gloss or matte black vinyl to give it the shadowline look would really complete the look of this car imo and give it an aggressive look/stance.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 06-07-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #297
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Looks like you do really good work, I might have to bring my car! and the gloss black looks way better imo

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #298
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Yea, just let me know what you'd want done

-Don
Old 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #299
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car wanted to have me wrap both the roof and the two side pillar pieces that run front the bottom of the front windshield to the back of the roof with my gloss black vinyl wrap material to give it the panoramic look. The gloss black vinyl wrap makes the roof continue and flow with the front/rear windshields pretty well. The owner of this car was from Irvine / Orange County also and brought his car over to me in Anaheim Hills to have the roof done. The tail lights were previously tinted / smoked by him beforehand, so that's not something I did.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #300
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

These aren't the greatest pictures in the world, since I was in a bit of a rush when taking them. I wasn't going to use them, but it's not often that I get a domestic car, so I decided to just post them anyways. The owner of this red / orange Chevy Camaro came from Huntington Beach area out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. He originally had a matte black vinyl roof installed on his car but he wanted to change the look up and get a gloss black roof put on there this time around.

Before (matte roof):

After (gloss roof):

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com