E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #121
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Here is a more recent car that I did some vinyl work on. I got lucky to work on this really cool brand new factory matte paint CLS63. I did a lot of things to this car that day. Firstly, we decided to go with the matte black around the window trims and rear chrome trunk handle to black it out and tone down the high contrast between that and the paint/rest of the car. Then we went around the car and smoked/tinted out the tail lights, head lights, and lower bumper light pieces. For the rear tail lights, I only tinted the clear portion and left the red portion. This toned the clear portion down a bit but left the red nice and bright to give it a good contrast/pop in the rear, which also matched the other red accents on the car. For the front, I tinted the entire head light and also the lower bumper lights to bring their contrast down and make them in with the lower bumper mesh area.

Before:

Clear portion tinted/smoked

Clear portion untinted/unsmoked

Entire front headlight smoked/tinted, lower bumper light unsmoked/untintinted

Front headlight unsmoked/untinted, lower bumper light smoked/tinted

After, with everything done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #122
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I know there are some of you out there who have no interest in the black vinyl roof wraps that I do or the way carbon fiber vinyl looks. However, you have to at least like protecting your car's headlights from rock chips and cracks.

The material that I use is not precut, so each and every installation is custom fitted to your car's specific application. This means no gaps or seam lines, in order to provide an invisible as possible installation result.

If there is enough interest, I may even be willing to do a group buy to start things out. Also, if your headlights are already faded and you wanted to restore it, I have a guy who can do that before the protective film is applied.

It was actually pretty hard figuring out a good way to show just how the clear film looks like on the headlights. However, hopefully this shows you just how clear and invisible the film is once applied to your headlights. I tried to make it as visible/noticeable as I could in this picture so you guys could actually see/notice the material.

thanks.

-Don Nguyen

Donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #123
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is the same black Mercedes SLK as above that I vinyl wrapped the pillars in the 3M di-noc carbon fiber material. I also tinted / smoked the clear portions of the tail lights on his SLK. This is my current/new shade that I am using, which is lighter than before and really gives a fairly factory look similar to BMW's black line tail lights, for those who are familiar. The owner of this car was also in Orange County/Anaheim Hills.

Before:

Left side tinted / smoked, right side untinted / unsmoked.

Tinted/smoked

Untinted/unsmoked

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #124
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Tinted / smoked the headlights on this new white C250 Mercedes sedan with the new lighter shade of tint that I have been using. The darkness of this tint is about half of other tint shade that I used to use. This shade of tint is light enough to still allow a good amount of light through it, so that not too much light output is reduced, but it is still dark enough that it still tones down the head lights / tail lights that it is being applied to. The owner of this car came out to me from around Corona to Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. I also blacked out the chrome and the roof on this same car.

Before - Untinted/unsmoked on passenger side, tinted/smoked on driver side:

Untinted/unsmoked:

Tinted/smoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 04-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #125
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Again, this is the new lighter shade of tint/smoke film that I am using. This is not regular normal window tint. This material is designed to be used on the exteriors of cars. I tinted / smoked the tail lights on this darker gray gunmetal colored new E350 sedan. We decided to go with covering the entire tail light to give it a consistent finish over the whole tail light versus just tinting the clear or red section on this car. The owner of this car was from around Newport Beach area and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. It's not often that I get non white cars, so this will help out those who have similar colored cars and were thinking about getting their tails smoked or tinted and how it'd look. I also took some pictures inside and outside, to show the differences of how the shade looks in different lighting conditions.

Before:

Driver side tinted/smoked - Passenger side untinted/unsmoked.

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #126
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this white Mercedes E550 coupe contacted me to lightly tint / smoke the tail lights on their car. The owner of this car was also from Orange County and came over to my shop in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. This is the new shade that I am using for tail lights, which give a very light factory smoke look. I tried to take some more before/after pictures so you guys can better see/visualize the differences and how this shade of smoke / tint looks like. I am not really into blacking out tail lights or dark tail lights, so this shade is perfect to me imo.

Before:

Right - Passenger side tinted / smoked:

Before - Untinted / unsmoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #127
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car came out to me in Orange County from the Los Angeles area to have me lightly smoke / tint the tail lights on his black Mercedes Benz CLK55. In addition to the tail lights I also smoked / tinted the headlights and the side blinkers on the mirrors of his car. This light smoke / tint shade is nice, because it is not too dark and won't block out too much of the light output from the head/tail lights. Also, since this film material has a gloss finish to it, it'll give a shine to your headlights or tail lights again if they are a bit dull from age/wear.

Before:

Tinted / smoked inner smaller passenger side headlight:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 06-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #128
E46 Jared

My Ride: none
Hey Don, is there any vinyl to make tail lights this sort of light grayish color?
Or have you never seen anything like this before?

E46 Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #129
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

That just looks like clear to me.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #130
E46 Jared

My Ride: none
My bad, I can't find a good picture, but my friend has a TL and his lights look like those, but darker.
E46 Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #131
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I know I don't post this often, but I also do clear headlight film protection as well. I just never really take pictures of it, since you can never really see or tell the difference of a before and after

In this picture the driver side has already been done and the passenger side has been applied, just waiting to be trimmed. You can see everything is custom fitted, since I do not use pre cut materials. This allows me to cover more of the headlights than pre cut pieces do and also get a closer/better fit to the pieces that I am covering/applying the material to.

Clear headlight protective film is good if you have glass headlights, so it'll prevent rocks from cracking it or chipping it. This can also be applied to fog lights, which are more prone to cracking, since they're lower/closer to the ground. Even if your headlights are plastic, the film will help prevent nicks and chips in the plastic lenses. It'll also help protect/prevent against oxidation better. If your headlights are already oxidized/faded, I can clear/clean those up for you before putting on the clear film.

I know clear bras / clear headlight protection films aren't very exciting, so I figured I'd post pictures of this gray / silver Mercedes Benz E55 AMG's tail lights that I tinted as well. This is my lighter shade that I used for this cars tail lights. Unlike a lot of the other tail lights that I have posted recently, I only tinted the clear portions on this car's tail lights versus tinting the whole thing. So these pictures will be good to help show those who were interested in something similar for their cars and were wondering how just the clear portion would look like tinted / smoked, only slightly darkening the clear parts of the tail light.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 06-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #132
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had this newer 2012 or 2011 alpine white BMW E93 335i convertible come by for me to tint / smoke their tail lights and black out the chrome window trim (I'll post pictures of that process later). The owner of this car was from Irvine / Orange County and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. The tint / smoke film is very light and just slightly darkens the tail lights enough to give it a very factory look. It's light enough where you most likely won't get any hassle from cops about them. It's also light enough where if you put it on the headlights, fog lights, etc, it won't reduce the light output by that much compared to darker films.

Before:

Only driver side trunk tail light is tinted in this picture:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #133
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I tentatively only have 1-3 spots left. I have two cars to confirm for 2 of those 3 spots, so if they do, then I'll only have one spot left available, which would be on Monday the 16th at 4pm.

Here is a white Scion / Toyota FR-S FT86 that I worked on. The owner of this car drove from San Diego up to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to have me tint the tail lights on his car with my clear red vinyl film material to tone down the altezza / chrome-ish tail lights that came on the car. Everything was done seamlessly using a single piece for each tail light. It changes the look of the car dramatically. This is how the cars should have came from the factory. Doesn't bother me though, at least it gives me another job/car to do and offer to you guys

Lighting to me is always one of the biggest look changers that you can do on a car. It is sometimes over looked, but by applying a clear red film like this over the tail lights completely changes the look of the car and even lightly tinting / smoking the tail lights can create a big effect in the car's look.

Before:

During - Driver (left side) stock, passenger (right side) tinted with red clear film:

After w/ tail lights on"

After w/ tail lights on and blinkers / hazards on:

After - (blacked out front lower lip):

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 07-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #134
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
amazing work as always don!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #135
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Thanks

This is one of the cars that I did some vinyl work on last month when I was up in norcal / Bay Area for vinyl wrapping. The owner of this car had me black out the chrome / aluminum window trim on his black E63 wagon. In addition to that, I also tinted his tail lights with my smoke film. Instead of tinting the entire tail light, I cut out the clear portion of the tail lights so that only the red is tinted / smoked. At first I wasn't sure how it'd look, but the contrast it ends up creating is pretty nice and I must say I like it. We also went with the matte black over the gloss black for the window trim, to provide some contrast to the gloss black paint and allow the trim pieces to still accent the car.

Before:

Driver (left) side stock - Passenger (right) side tinted / smoked before clear portion was trimmed out:

After:

Tinted / smoked tail lights WITH clear portion trimmed out now:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #136
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The headlights of this white E-class had become a little pitted and slightly faded over the years. So to freshen it up a bit and change up the look at the same time, I used my lightly smoked / tinted film that I also normally use on the tail lights for these head lights. The film covers up any rock chips, provides a glossy shine, and protects the headlights at the same time. A clear film could provide the same thing, but the owner wanted me to use the smoke / tint film for his car. It's a fairly light shade, so light output isn't really affected, which is a good thing. The owner of this car was from south orange county in Mission Viejo or so and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done.

I took some in progress pictures to show you how it looks like from stock to tinted and I also took some pictures of how it looks inside in darker lighting and outside in brighter lighting, to show the differences between the two.

Before:

During: Passenger (left) stock - Driver (right) smoked / tinted

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #137
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Went over to my friend's shop (Serge @ BenzWorks in Huntington Beach / Orange County) to tint / smoke the tail lights on this white CLS63 AMG. I only tinted / smoked the clear portion of the tail lights and I left the red alone. This gives the car slightly more character with just the subtle change in shade of the clear portion of the tail lights. It's a fairly light shade, so it almost feels factory looking, so it goes well even on cars that are more lightly modified or more on the stock-ish side.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #138
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I don't think a lot of people know, but I also have/use a clear yellow transparent film as well. Normally I use this film for fog lights, etc, but the owner of this white 350z wanted to have me wrap the headlights of his car with my transparent yellow vinyl film material. I know this is definitely not for everybody, but this will at least show you what my transparent yellow film looks like. The owner of this car was from around Long Beach I believe and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to get the vinyl work done.

Before:

During:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #139
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had this black Mercedes Benz C63 coupe black series come by to have me tint the clear portion of his tail lights and also black out the chrome / brushed aluminum window trim on his car. For the window trim we went with my matte black material to give it that contrast and more aggressive look and for the tail lights I only tinted / smoked the clear portion of the tail lights. Tinting / smoking only the clear portion gives it a very factory look. Even though my tint / smoke film is already fairly light, this is even a further step closer for being an OEM+ type look for those who are trying to achieve that look.

Before:

Tail lights (Driver (left) side untinted / stock - Passenger (right) side tinted / smoked):

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #140
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I don't just tint / smoke lights. I also have clear / transparent vinyl film materials that can be used such as red, yellow, etc. I believe the owner of this white Hyundai Genesis coupe was from around Riverside county and drove out to me in Orange County to get his tail lights tinted with my red clear film. He wanted to get rid of the chrome area in the center of his tail lights and to make the tail lights look like they came from the factory a solid red. The end results made a big difference in the appearance of the car. It's probably the simplest and easiest solution that you can do to matching the red of the tail lights.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com