E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #141
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
The owner of this car was also in Orange County and brought me by his CLS63 to have me lightly tint / smoke the clear section of the tail lights. I had previous blacked out his chrome / brushed aluminum window trim in matte black, which you can kind of see in the corner pictures and on the rear trunk handle piece. Even though this car was fairly blacked out, we only tinted the clear portion of the tail lights instead of the whole thing, which gave it a nice subtle touch. For comparison, if you look in the background, my X5's tail lights are completely tinted with the same shade/material.

Before:

During:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #142
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I do like these new E coupes and C coupes that have been starting to show up on the roads more. The owner of this white E class coupe wanted to have me tint / smoke their tail lights with my light film. In the pictures, the car/surrounding may seem under exposed or over exposed, but that is done on purpose, since the focus is on the tail lights. Each of the pictures represents how the tail lights look exactly at that moment in person in those lighting conditions. The owner of this car was from around south Orange County and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done.

Before:

During - Driver side stock - Passenger side tinted / smoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #143
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Had this new white E class E350 come by to have me lightly tint / smoke the tail lights on his car. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the work done. Since the tail lights over lap onto the rear quarter/side a bit, I also took a side picture to give you guys an idea of how the tinted / smoked tail lights looks like from a side profile.

Before:

Driver (left side) stock - Passenger (right side) tinted / smoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #144
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is not your standard car you see me working on, but I do not discriminate. I work on all types of cars, even if I mainly work on Euro cars typically. The owner of this silver Toyota Corolla came by to have me tint the tail lights on their car. The owner drove out from around Los Angeles / West Covina area to have me to do the work. Even on a stock car, the light tint / smoke on the tails still adds a nice overall touch to the car without making it look overly done or out of place. I took some before pictures, but they weren't that great, due to the direction of the lighting.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #145
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this black Mercedes Benz E550 sedan came to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have me black out his chrome / brushed aluminum window trim and also had me lightly tint / smoke the tail lights on his car. He was overall going with a darker theme with his car, so these two changes really help tie that theme together. I took some pictures of the tail lights inside and outside to show how it looks like in different lighting scenarios. Also, for the trim, we went with the matte black finish over the gloss finish for his car.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 01-28-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #146
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is one of my favorite mods to do on cars. My other favorite is getting rid of the chrome on cars. Tinting the tail lights light like this really gives the car a OEM+ look. It's good for cars that want to change up the look of the car a bit, without making it very obvious or noticeable what was done. However, that doesn't mean that this won't work or look good on modified car as well. I also like the light tint because it's less likely to get you pulled over, since so many cars come with slightly darker tail lights from the factory already as it is (IE BMW blacklines for their tail lights, etc).

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #147
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this white Audi R8 was getting other work done on the car and he decided to have me tint his headlights with my light smoke/tint film as well. The owner of this car was from around the Los Angeles county area and drove out to me in Orange County to get the work done. I took some pictures of the car with the headlights off and the parking lights on to show how the light transmission looked like after the install was done. Over, it gave it a nice meaner look without reducing overall light output by anything too much.

Before:

During - Driver (right) side tinted/smoked, passenger (left) side stock.

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #148
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
love the headlight tint
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #149
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

For this new white Mercedes Benz CLS550 sedan, I vinyl wrapped the tail lights with my light tint/smoke film material. On this car, I we decided to do the whole tail light. I didn't take pictures of it before, but the first picture does show the driver side as tinted/smoked (left) and the passenger (right) untinted. The lighting of it inside kind of makes it hard to gauge, but in the other pictures where I took them outside will help you better see the differences. As you can notice, as the lighting changes, the appearance of the darkness of the shade changes as well.

-Don Nguyen

Donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #150
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

For this new white Mercedes Benz CLS550 sedan, I vinyl wrapped the tail lights with my light tint/smoke film material. On this car, I we decided to do the whole tail light. I didn't take pictures of it before, but the first picture does show the driver side as tinted/smoked (left) and the passenger (right) untinted. The lighting of it inside kind of makes it hard to gauge, but in the other pictures where I took them outside will help you better see the differences. As you can notice, as the lighting changes, the appearance of the darkness of the shade changes as well.

-Don Nguyen

Donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #151
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this brand new white VW TDI wagon brought his car by to have me lightly tint / smoke the tail lights and third brake light on his car. I took some pictures from side to side, showing how the tint looks like in directly sunlight and in some shade. As you can see, it's fairly dynamic and changes depending on the lighting. I haven't had anyone have any issues with this shade though, as far as light output or having any issues with law authorities though, so that is a plus. The owner of this car I believe was from around Pasadena and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to get the work done.

Before:

During (driver/left side tinted, passenger/right side stock) -

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 06-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #152
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Tinted / smoked the center clear portion of the tail lights on this brand new white Mercedes E350 sedan. In addition to tinting the tail lights with my light film material, I also wrapped the trunk spoiler in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material and blacked out the chrome trunk handle with my matte black vinyl material. Overall, the light shade of tint was a nice slight change in the look of the car, without making it too dark and is still visible during the day/night.

Most spoilers aren't practical to wrap, but this one happen to work out.

Before:

Driver side tinted/smoked - passenger side stock:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #153
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
I love the light tint on black cars. I'm really starting to consider doing that

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #154
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Some requests for these pictures, so I figure I'll post them up here. This is one of the cars that I did while I was up in the bay area (san jose) / norcal area last time. I tinted / smoked the tail lights on this new Mercedes Benz E63 AMG. In addition to the tail lights, I also blacked out the chrome / brushed aluminum window trim on his car with my matte black vinyl material. Everything worked and tied in together pretty nicely with the rest of the theme of his car:

Before:

Left/driver side stock - Right/passenger side tinted/smoked

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #155
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this black VW Passat drove out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills from Los Angeles county to get some vinyl work done. He wanted me to black out the chrome / brushed aluminum around his windows and to also lightly tint his tail lights. The pictures may seem over exposed in some of them, but I did that on purpose, as to capture how the tail lights looked at those exact moments and in those lighting conditions. For the window trim, we went with my matte black vinyl material.

Before:

After (note - far right tail light piece is not tinted, but the other 3 to the left of it are):

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #156
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this dark blue Subaru WRX hatchback wanted me to red out his tail lights, to make it not so white/clear. So what I did for him was use my clear red vinyl film and applied it over his rear tail lights. He wanted me to cut out the reverse light and turn signal portions so that they would show through their original colors still. However, I took in progress pictures to show you guys how it would have looked like if they weren't cut out, so you can compare and contrast which style/look you'd prefer more.

Before:

In progress/during

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #157
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
Smoked/tinted tail light pictures

Made a RCR type layout for a few months

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #158
Arpee

My Ride: E30 M3/ 323ci
Can you do that on E30 M3s? (Smoked tail lights).
Arpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #159
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I can't tint the tails on an E30, due to the dips that are in the tail lights.

-Don
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #160
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 09-18-2013 at 10:52 AM.