E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
I just checked. From the point of release until it hits the floor, 0.780 seconds. Release point was 1.5m above the floor.
haha so I fixed my previous post
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #22
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
When I pulled the pan on the Z4, it took me a while because when you have a brand new 6 speed from BMW, the new front casting is made to fit numerous engines, but does not have the cutouts to remove the two bolts at the rear of the pan (like the older 6 speeds). So, with some work (using a few drills and a hacksaw) everything works just fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
When I pulled the pan on the Z4, it took me a while because when you have a brand new 6 speed from BMW, the new front casting is made to fit numerous engines, but does not have the cutouts to remove the two bolts at the rear of the pan (like the older 6 speeds). So, with some work (using a few drills and a hacksaw) everything works just fine.
How high does your "airjack" system go?

When I changed the clutch on my car a couple of weeks ago...I ended up re-installing the tranny myself by hand. (no tranny jack) I don't think I've sworn so much in my life....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #24
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
The nut is pretty easy to drill a hole through. If you have the ability to remove the oil pan, I bet you have the ability to drill a hole through the nut.

The only reason why people are trying different shafts, is because the 3.0l motor breaks off the shaft. It took me about 5 blown up motors to figure out how to keep this from happening. I can tell you that it takes about 117 seconds of no oil pressure to blow up the motor.
You had nothing in your car to tell you that you had no oil pressure??
InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #25
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Really? I thought getting it back in was the easy part

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
How high does your "airjack" system go?

When I changed the clutch on my car a couple of weeks ago...I ended up re-installing the tranny myself by hand. (no tranny jack) I don't think I've sworn so much in my life....
Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 AM   #26
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
So does everyone here think that the VAC Upgraded Oil Pump kit is a waste of time because it seems for the pictures and description like it would work well? Does anybody here know about how long would it take a good mechanic to install the oil pump upgrade kit and baffle?

I was thinking about going with this kit and their baffle at the same time when I swap out my engine and tranny mounts; it's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than the Motorsport kit! Is everything below basically what you get with the VAC kit?

Thanks.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 09-23-2009 at 05:03 AM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Does anybody here know about how long would it take a good mechanic to install the oil pump upgrade kit and baffle?
I was going to go with the baffle and drilled nut but I'm not a hardcore track junky. Just doing it for peace of mind. I imagine that the baffle wouldn't take long but I think you would need the services of a welder.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
mrshelley

Quote:
So does everyone here think that the VAC Upgraded Oil Pump kit is a waste of time because it seems for the pictures and description like it would work well? Does anybody here know about how long would it take a good mechanic to install the oil pump upgrade kit and baffle?

I was thinking about going with this kit and their baffle at the same time when I swap out my engine and tranny mounts; it's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than the Motorsport kit! Is everything below basically what you get with the VAC kit?

Thanks.
That's the one that I took out of the Z4. As for the baffle, you need to cut the stock one out, drill and tap three holes. Then you need to seal the back sides of the pan as you'll have three holes on it.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #29
SpeedDemon

Quote:
That's the one that I took out of the Z4. As for the baffle, you need to cut the stock one out, drill and tap three holes. Then you need to seal the back sides of the pan as you'll have three holes on it.
Did you take the VAC pump out because you had a problem with it? If so, what was the problem?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
I didn't bolt mine in, I just had it welded in.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #31
mrshelley

As for the oil pump. I never knew what the engine had in it as is was a used racecar. When I finally took the engine apart, I discovered the pump problem. The bolt was tight and had red loctite on it. Thing is, the sprocket was loose and was wobbling around on the shaft. You could tell that it was a matter of time before it was going to fail. I wish I would have kept it but I have enough parts sitting around and if it's no good, it goes in the garbage. Since I've had good luck with the motorsport system, I just keep using it. You have to remember, I rent these cars out. If you were renting my car, wouldn't you want the best thing in that motor?

As for the baffle, the motorsport one is much more complex than the VAC one. It has a whole bunch of doors in it and costs a fortune. I bolt it in because (for example) the Z4 busted the oil pan when it was wrecked a few months back. I was able to take the baffle out and stick it in another pan. A few years ago, we blew usp a motor and I was able to take the baffle out and clean out all of the babbit.

One other thing. I actually do have an oil pressure light. In addition to that, the AIM dash will flash a warning across the bottom of the dash. Thing is, you actually have to look at the dash to know it's out of oil pressure (just like on a street car).
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #32
SpeedDemon

So is the VAC one a good option for a street/track car? I'm confused from the posts I've read about exactly what problems people have experienced with the VAC stuff.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #33
bigjae1976

Something tells me that Mrshelley is pretty serious about racing. I would say that the VAC option is sufficient for most of us who occasionally go to the track for fun and want to take some precautions.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
mrshelley

Remember, in Koni, we log a pretty good amount of hours. I think it was around 200 hours in 2008 alone.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #35
SpeedDemon

Quote:
So is the VAC one a good option for a street/track car? I'm confused from the posts I've read about exactly what problems people have experienced with the VAC stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Something tells me that Mrshelley is pretty serious about racing. I would say that the VAC option is sufficient for most of us who occasionally go to the track for fun and want to take some precautions.
Quote:
Remember, in Koni, we log a pretty good amount of hours. I think it was around 200 hours in 2008 alone.
I know, but I'm just trying to find out exactly what kinds of problems Adam and Shelley have had with their VAC kits in the past exactly so I can know what their weak points are.

I'm aware that the VAC kit is probably good enough "for the rest of us" but I want to make sure that it is really a worthwhile improvement over the stock configuration (mostly the pump since I'm aware that the baffle does a good job at what its supposed to).

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #36
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
I know, but I'm just trying to find out exactly what kinds of problems Adam and Shelley have had with their VAC kits in the past exactly so I can know what their weak points are.

I'm aware that the VAC kit is probably good enough "for the rest of us" but I want to make sure that it is really a worthwhile improvement over the stock configuration (mostly the pump since I'm aware that the baffle does a good job at what its supposed to).

Thanks!
You are going to have to accept that there is risk in using the VAC kit. Whether that risk applies to your use of the engine depends on how often the engine will live above 6000 RPM.

Do I think that the VAC kit is better than stock? Yes, I do.

The VAC kit's primary "upgrade" is the use of 2 machined locking surfaces for the sprocket, versus the stock piece with 1.

Both the OEM nut, and the VAC bolt have proven to back off even when loctite is applied and torqued properly. The only 100% solution to this is welding, however then you get into the fatigue life of the oil pump input shaft. Mr.Shelley can comment on this with experience, as he's seen the oil pump input shaft sheered off completely after welding.

So to summarize:

- Leaving it stock you'll probably see a failure with track use.
- The VAC kit offers better component quality than OEM.
- Without welding, you'll see the nut or bolt back off by itself.
- With welding you'll see the input shaft sheer off at some point.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #37
SpeedDemon

^^^ Thank you!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #38
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
This thread has been inactive for a while. To give it a bump - does anyone have a root cause for the failure of the fastener or the shaft itself? Sounds like there a bunch of bandaids being discussed, but the root cause may be what needs to be attacked..
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #39
SpeedDemon

I believe that the root cause is the way the engine internals vibrate over 6000 RPM; getting increasingly more severe, the higher you rev.

The fact that the shaft is too thin and doesn't have multiple connection points to the sprocket is what allows it the wear over time on race motors and then break.

The nut falls off mostly because there is no thread locker applied from the factory and that becomes a bigger problem when you put that together with the fact that the stock nut isn't reverse-threaded and you've got the problem. With that said, the ZHP is the only E46 M54 car that came with threadlocker on the nut from the factory: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=714263
Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #40
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
So to summarize:

- Leaving it stock you'll probably see a failure with track use.
- The VAC kit offers better component quality than OEM.
- Without welding, you'll see the nut or bolt back off by itself.
- With welding you'll see the input shaft sheer off at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
If anyone is SERIOUSLY(!!!) interested in the 3/4 bolt sprocket shaft PM me. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the other options, and equally as good IMO.
I need to replace my oil pan gasket soon so I thought I would revisit this subject. Seems the only bulletproof solution is the Motorsport kit but the pricing on that makes for an expensive bit of insurance given the price of a replacement engine these days (edit: until you blow multiple motors). Where would vaio's 3/4 bolt sprocket shaft slot into the upgrade heirarchy? Why doesn't this solution seem to be more common? Have any new options surfaced recently?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 01-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote