E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
mestupmonkydude

My Ride: 328i
bavarian soundwerks

Has anyone done the bavarian soundwerks stage I audio upgrade for the speakers? If so how do you like it was it worth the $600, plus the work to install.
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/

Also has anyone done the subwoofer system that bsw offers. Is it worth the $700.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/
mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
jratoll

My Ride: 330I
I only did the speakers. Yes, the sound quality is a lot better than the OEM. I'd say it's worthed. The removal and replacement, make sure you take your time in removing all 4 door panels.
jratoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
mestupmonkydude

sweet that will probly be my next intermidiat level mod.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Some have gone with Infinity door and rear deck speakers that are rated with the same ohm value (impedance) that the factory head/amp requires. Others have added aftermarket subs that are self powered and tap speaker level audio not needing line-level or a dedicated sub send. Fitment of the speakers is the challenge as the factory diameter is not a standard size.

I'm certain these solutions are far less $$ and equal quality. I can't justify $1300 for an "upgrade" and have looked at them. I've seen the same deal with Mercedes replacement speakers where designer companies offer quality replacements at a shocking price. I think these suppliers target luxury cars where buyers want a drop-in solution and don't care about $$. I'd love to know who actually makes the speakers and what their cost is. The plug connector is probably their only R&D.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 09-16-2009 at 02:40 AM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jratoll View Post
I only did the speakers. Yes, the sound quality is a lot better than the OEM. I'd say it's worthed. The removal and replacement, make sure you take your time in removing all 4 door panels.
Did you upgrade from the standard system or the HK system?

thanks
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Some have gone with Infinity door and rear deck speakers that are rated with the same ohm value (impedance) that the factory head/amp requires. Others have added aftermarket subs that are self powered and tap speaker level audio not needing line-level or a dedicated sub send. Fitment of the speakers is the challenge as the factory diameter is not a standard size.

I'm certain these solutions are far less $$ and equal quality. I can't justify $1300 for an "upgrade" and have looked at them. I've seen the same deal with Mercedes replacement speakers where designer companies offer quality replacements at a shocking price. I think these suppliers target luxury cars where buyers want a drop-in solution and don't care about $$. I'd love to know who actually makes the speakers and what their cost is. The plug connector is probably their only R&D.
There is way more than our plug and play harness in terms of R&D on our stage 1 package. At this point we are on our 4th or 5th version and have upgraded with each version.

Our drivers not only plug in but they bolt into the vehicle in 90% of the applications. The OEM drivers in an e46 for example feature a recast of an OEM midrange/tweeter housing. Features a 3 point mounting pattern that goes right into OEM locations. Other aftermarket solutions require cutting, drilling and/or custom mounts.

On top of that we impedance match and overly engineer the kits for the cars. They feature overly built drivers, bottomless design, large butyl rubber surrounds with fiberglass composite curvilinear cone cones.

We really go beyond 'let's make these fit' with our packages. Here are some of the photos for comparisons of various BSW Products:

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth

Last edited by Halston@BSW; 09-17-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
02alpinebimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW:(
Can you say...OWNED Sponsors stepping up! Great quality.

I can read/reset engine codes. (87 and up)
PM ME

-Steve OK-
02alpinebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
I want a stage I right now but just don't have $600
Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
allwheelsdriven

My Ride: 330i zhp sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
I'd love to know who actually makes the speakers and what their cost is. The plug connector is probably their only R&D.
...about 3 minutes on their website and you can learn that the drivers are Rainbow, which is a highly respected German car audio manufacturer. The cost breaks down to about ~$60 a driver. Its not junk. It may not be the route I go since i have a closet full of old school ADS, but everything I've read about them and reviews points towards quality.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
mestupmonkydude

It all looks and sounds good on paper. Im deffinatly getting them. the speakers first, then the woofer.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Rollo`

My Ride: 330i
The speakers are an enormous upgrade from the HK package I had in my 330i. I would have never believed just the speakers could make so much difference. I should note that I already had the JL stealth subs in my car being powered by a JL 250 watt mono amp. Adding the BSW front soundstage was absolutely worth every penny and more. I wish now that I had not waited so long to do it.
Rollo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
oops, sponsor! Um, didn't know that. I sincerely apologize for any comments that put the BSW representative on the defense. I never questioned BSW quality, just their pricing. The connector R&D thing was guessing. I stand corrected.

This all was directed from my Mercedes days where Rainbows were marketed through a similar US reseller/distributor who clearly set price points for the "qualified buyer". The guys who bought them often kept their factory Becker head units. The result was often disappointment as after a considerable investment, the audio improvement was marginal to many. The problem was purchasers expect thumping bottom with mind blowing mids & highs. What they got were very good speakers demonstrating transparency, uncolored response, proper fit, impedance etc. What they didn't get was noticeable decibles per dollar increase. The speakers were more efficient per watt but without more headroom (read amplifier output power) the big payoff wasn't there. It's all subjective to the buyer, audiophiles would love 'em where younger listeners, out to impress their 1200 watt per channel friends, did not.

I have never heard BSW's dropped into a sedan so I have no qualified opinion. I do know audio and people's expectations with a $600 -$1,300 speaker upgrade. Just pointing out alternatives for the not-so qualified buyers.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
RSteckhahn

My Ride: '05 325i
I have been interested, but have kind of been waiting for BSW to come out with an interior amp that is matched with the package. In my past audio experience, during college with my jeep, the JL/ series interior amp was one of the best components of the system, something many people skip out on.

Does anyone have this package with an upgraded interior amp? I don't listen to loud music much at all anymore, so was thinking of keeping the HK subs and conserving trunk space, but would really like an upgraded interior amp for sound quality reasons, not volume.
RSteckhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
If you call BSW, they will set a package up for you with an amp.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
tOekNee323i

My Ride: BMW 323i
Dont know yet!!!! Ordered the d110 Subwoofer system and waiting! Ill let you know how that sounds.
tOekNee323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #16
fwardell

My Ride: 2003 330i Sport
I'm thinking about the Stage I, too, but here's my post on Bimmerforums on the Bav sub:

The Car: 2003 BMW 330i - Bright Red!
The Sound System: Factory HK Sound System.
The Sub: Bav Soundworks d110.e46 subwoofer system (10" powered subwoofer) that fits under parcel shelf in the trunk.

Probably took about three hours to install and had to call/e-mail Bav Sound for procedure clarification a few times - good response. Powered up but wimpy bass - big disappointment! Opened up ski pass-through - still wimpy. Cranked bass controls up full - nothing. Folded down one rear seat - nope. Rechecked all wiring changes - found wire had pulled out of line output control device - very unusual. Ordered new LOC and installed.

Now have incredible bass! All trunk openings closed. Amazing what that one 10" speaked can do - of course it is powered. Actually had to turn down radio bass control down to "0". Sub amp gain set at about 1/3 full - though may ease it up some. This is not the boomy, heavy, exagerrated bass you often hear with the bass cranked up on the factory system or like those kids in the stylized Hondas. It's that deep, satisfying "thump" you can feel but only when it's actually there in the music. Oh, you can crank up the bass to "trunk lid blowing" levels but why ruin the trunk!

Nice product, well-designed and built with a custom Bimmer look. Expensive and takes up some trunk space but worth it.
fwardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
BSW will be getting my cash fairly soon.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
in order to do a worthy replacement of the ten speakers that your car has, you'd want to buy two sets of speakers for at least $300, grab a class D amp for about the same, and then with just those parts alone, you're looking at matching BSW's stage 1 package.

i did a complete overhaul of my system over the end of the summer and can honestly say that judging by the reviews of the Stage 1 kit, you'll be thrilled with the sound quality you'll be getting for the price point. it's easy for people to criticize the cost of the speakers, but when it comes to not having to fabricate anything, keep the setup reversible, and not have to completely rewire the entire audio system to work with different speakers/amp, it's a completely legitimate price point. i also dropped in some subwoofers of my own--and that combined with a audiocontrol crossover and lc6i, i had dropped easily over $1600 into the car's audio system.

if you're dying to get your sq up in the cabin for a good price, go with the BSW Stage 1, and they may have a Stage 2 (amp) coming out soon.

as far as getting their sub, i personally think that you'd be able to tap the wires, buy an enclosure, buy a sub, get a solid amp, and hook it all up for less than $700, though it might not have the look you're going for. build the enclosure yourself and you'll save even more...
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
maz5915

My Ride: 2006 325 CI
I pretty much agree with everyone here, I've actually bought the Stage 1 and returned them and did my own upgrade (still technically in process). So you can take my advice from doing both. I thought the install was EASY for the BSW's. Their YouTube videos are pretty much spot on with what you have to do. When I put it all in, I wasn't overly happy. Only noticeable improvement was at high volumes, mostly from the tweeters, but at very high volumes, decent. The woofers are mediocre and you won't get good bass, but you can't really expect to from a 6 inch woofer. If you do it, you need to get the sub or a sub of some kind. I'd imagine it sounds really good with the sub, as the distortion at high volumes from the other speakers won't be noticed as much.

I will clarify, I'm pretty damn picky on my audio and I think I probably have killed my eardrums over the years and need louder sound than most.

I ended up returning my Stage 1 and put in Infinity Reference components. Installation was a nightmare to say the least, but I got it done (with good help from a lot of people on this forum) and it can be done. Speakers were $300 vs $600 for BSW. They are better and cheaper. To clarify again, I also had a new amp, not the stock amp which I had the Stage 1's on. The Stage 1's may be better with a new amp and BSW is working on a new one, but you can always do your own.

I also had two 10in subs hooked up for the bass. This makes a huge difference. Also, speakers have built in crossover, and the amp allows you to adjust frequencies for hi and low pass filters. This has a tremendous impact on the sound and lets an individual really adjust to their own preference.

I can't knock BSW though. They make a good product, and the installation is definitely worth a pretty penny. There customer service is great and I had no problem with the return, I just had to pay to ship it back. What I would consider most for yourself is 1) How picky are you really about your audio... If you want a good upgrade, BSW is a good upgrade. It's not the absolute best that you could do though 2) How handy are you? If you want to put something other than BSW in to save money and get better sound, value your time and skills, because it takes a LOT more time. 3) Cost - to do it all you're looking at $1300 from BSW. I paid $300 for speakers, $350 for amp, sub I already had but you can get for $150, $200 in wires, etc. so you save a few hundred, but you could spend more or less depending on what you get.

I would love to hear the BSW sub. It was on backorder for me for over 3 months. I cancelled my order to get my money back. To me, that is a deal for the sub and box and amp. If they had a 5 channel amp in there that I could power the other speakers with, I would have bought it.
maz5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
I want a stage I right now but just don't have $600
I have an open box Stage 1 for the E46 which is pretty rare Let me know if you have Standard or HK

400 shipped on the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteckhahn View Post
I have been interested, but have kind of been waiting for BSW to come out with an interior amp that is matched with the package. In my past audio experience, during college with my jeep, the JL/ series interior amp was one of the best components of the system, something many people skip out on.

Does anyone have this package with an upgraded interior amp? I don't listen to loud music much at all anymore, so was thinking of keeping the HK subs and conserving trunk space, but would really like an upgraded interior amp for sound quality reasons, not volume.
The plug and play amp is coming. It is simply a product that has to be over engineered and over tested to make sure it is 110% correct.

We now have all d110.e46s/c in stock. It was on backorder as it is very popular. We got 10 of each last week

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bsw