E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
every time I see reviews like this, I die a little inside

Quote:
Building off the success of Taurus Judge line of revolvers, Smith & Wesson decided to join the party. Home defense sales have steadily risen over the last few years, and I think most weapon manufacturers are looking at new and innovative ways to enter and capture their share of the market. S&W took a good thing and in my opinion made it better. While the Judge models fire 45LC/410 GA, the Governor fires 45ACP/45LC/410GA and holds six rounds.

Smith & Wesson markets this revolver in two configurations, with or without laser grips. Were going to review the model without them. According to S&Ws website specs for this gun, it weighs in at 29.6 ounces. My scale showed it weighed 30 ounces (+/- .5 ounces). It has a 2.75 steel barrel, an overall length of 8.5 and a maximum width of 1.75 measured at the cylinder. The frame is made of alloy, while the cylinder is hewn from stainless steel using a PVD coating. PVD coatings provide color and some scratch resistance. This is a nice touch since the cylinder is usually what ends up getting touched or roughed up the most. As mentioned above, the cylinder holds six rounds. The sights are fixed, with the front post having a tritium dot for night or low light use. The rear sight is a notch without any sight indicators on them. So, its a little difficult to locate them in the dark, but if you rely on the front sight post, that seems to work pretty well. Id rather see a double dot system on the rear sights, but they are a little small. Not so small they cannot be located, but probably too small to effectively place tritium dots on them. It can be used single or double action. Double action use showed an excess of 12 pounds for trigger pull. Single action was a nice and easy 4 pounds. The trigger pull is smooth all the way to the break point. In my opinion, its one of the best feeling trigger actions Ive experienced in recent memory. The trigger guard is large enough to wear gloves with, and doesnt interfere with your second finger on the grip
Looking at the pictures of his targets, I'm left wondering why he would really want something with that low of a hit reliability for home defense. Every .410 revolver review I read that says it's such a great home defense piece seems to shoot itself in the foot when it's actually taken to the range, and the reviewer doesn't even realize it.

http://www.usacarry.com/smith-and-we...a6bbc-47520841
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
The judge type of 410 revolvers sound like a good idea until you ask yourself, "What is a good caliber for a home defense shotgun?" Who would answer that with "410"?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The judge type of 410 revolvers sound like a good idea until you ask yourself, "What is a good caliber for a home defense shotgun?" Who would answer that with "410"?
That was exactly my reply to the article.

You'd get a severe tongue-lashing from Reedo if you suggested a shotgun period for HD use here.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Re: every time I see reviews like this, I die a little inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
That was exactly my reply to the article.

You'd get a severe tongue-lashing from Reedo if you suggested a shotgun period for HD use here.

Reedo is full of sh!t. Joe Biden said two shots in the air from a double barrel would do the job. Idgaf about Reedo's military record, combat experience, extensive firearms training, or law enforcement experience. If it's good enough for crazy uncle joe, is good enough for me.

Sent from my Obamaphone
Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Reedo is full of sh!t. Joe Biden said two shots in the air from a double barrel would do the job. Idgaf about Reedo's military record, combat experience, extensive firearms training, or law enforcement experience. If it's good enough for crazy uncle joe, is good enough for me.

Sent from my Obamaphone
anyone got a lead on a double barrel .410?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler

I've never even seen a sidexside .410.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I've never even seen a sidexside .410.

Stevens Model 311 comes in a sidexside .410. I think people use them for upland birds and such.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Stevens Model 311 comes in a sidexside .410. I think people use them for big game in the bush, people, and such.
Ftfy

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
CZ has one.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/ring...case-hardened/

Product Description
Unlike other manufacturers that mount 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame and call it good enough, CZ’s Ringneck Mini quail guns are built on petite gauge-specific frames to give them proportion and balance found on no other production gun on the market.

The Mini is built with the same Turkish walnut stock with Prince of Wales grip, single selective trigger and hand-engraved, case-hardened receivers as the Ringneck. In .410, the Mini has fixed IC/MOD chokes while the 28 gauge has removable chokes.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
shoot from <10ft away and you're good with 410

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 11-02-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I've said it before, and it's certainly not an original thought of mine, but ask any "gun shop commando" about using a .410 pistol and they'd be all over it. Ask them to use a .410 shotgun for HD and they'd call you nuts and question why you'd use anything other than 12ga. You know, as if the .410 magically gets better with a 2" barrel vs an 18.5" barrel.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I've said it before, and it's certainly not an original thought of mine, but ask any "gun shop commando" about using a .410 pistol and they'd be all over it. Ask them to use a .410 shotgun for HD and they'd call you nuts and question why you'd use anything other than 12ga. You know, as if the .410 magically gets better with a 2" barrel vs an 18.5" barrel.
obviously because of the inherently greater stopping power of a shotgun shell over a handgun round.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote