E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
neil1138

Exclamation * No-Reverse Solution For GM Transmission *

This doesnt apply to everyone! Please read carefully

Alright lets get started. A lot of threads have come up recently about no-reverse and such. Well something needs to be cleared up. At any rate, here's my story:

About 3 years ago, I bought my 2000 328Ci (automatic). I loved it, but one day I discovered that it wouldnt engage reverse. I used my trusty friend google and searched "bmw 3 series reverse gear wont engage" like any future fanatic would do. Well it led me to this site, I was told by many of you that it was my reverse drum in the transmission and that I was screwed. I mean, this could have been the case, but it wasnt. Here is the general breakdown of how E46s and transmission are distributed: A5S360R is the transmission we are looking for

323's - Mostly ZF transmission (Rare but can have GM tranny as well), the reverse drum actually shreds, causing you to lose reverse. This is the general and accepted idea of what happens. And it is true.

328's - GM transmission, (328s have the GM tranny). I have (well had) a GM tranny as I have a 328Ci. You could get under your car and check for a green label which is pictured further down the page, but I guarantee you that you have a GM tranny if you have a 328i/Ci

Now here's the main point: People will come on here sometimes and complain of no reverse, a normal situation to fanatics. But what they dont realize and what they dont notice is that the OP might just have a 328 and not a 323.

Here is why that's important: Automatic 323's are known to lose the reverse drum, that's a fact. Automatic 328s can lose reverse as well, that's a fact. But what's the crazy fact is that 328's with GM transmissions might not have actually lost the reverse drum! GM and ZF trannies both lose reverse gear but they do it in different ways. The drum failure is the common failure on the ZF transmissions. The symptoms of the 5L40E (GM tranny) are identical, you place the car in reverse and it revs up like in neutral and does not move. And that's the point of this thread. To show you what to do if you have a steptronic GM transmission.

So GM trannies might not have lost the reverse drum? Then what is the problem you ask? There are things called solenoids in the pan of a transmission that control pressure allowing the transmission to engage gears. We all know that automatic transmissions in E46s are hydraulically driven correct? Well one of those solenoids can go bad, and guess which one? The reverse solenoid. The name which you should call it as is the "TCC and PWM solenoid"

What happens: At any rate, what happens is when the car is cold, ect, this reverse solenoid has a mesh screen on it and build up can get on the screen causing it to not be able to control the pressure to the reverse gear. This in turn is when people notice the infamous "no-reverse." Thus, people with GM transmissions wont be able to engage reverse gear and they think that their reverse drum is to blame. This is not the case!

Here's some articles that explain a little bit about the TCC and PWM solenoid:

http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TS6-MS-062-065.pdf

http://www.zoom-tech.com/downloads/s...s/gm/5l40e.pdf

http://www.automaticchoice.com/Catalogue/5l40e.pdf

Tell if you have a GM tranny: Bentley info and Transmission Charts (Important!)

http://www.automatikoelwechselsystem...skontrolle.pdf

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...ge/BMW_ATF.pdf

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...fluidchard.pdf

I experienced reverse failures with my GM transmission 3 years ago but after a little bit of research that long time ago, I found that my reverse gear actually hadn't shred.

This is how I found out: I couldnt engage reverse ok, so I put my car in Neutral and rolled it down my driveway, to where I was able to engage Drive. I drove around town for a little bit, maybe to clear up the mesh screen, and then I tried engaging reverse. Lo and Behold! My reverse engaged again! This was an on and off occurrence for me for years. I never decided to replace the solenoid because I didnt really care for it. If I ever lost reverse in a parking lot, I just waited for the car to warm up and shifted around a bit. Then reverse engaged itself again.

At any rate, if you are the owner of a car that is experiencing no reverse and you have a GM tranny, try and get your car out into the open and drive around for a bit then try and engage reverse. If it comes back to life, then your solenoid is to blame. If the reverse drum was really shredded, you wouldnt be able to engage reverse again. The solenoid is in the pan and only costs around $250 to fix (labor aside). So even if you arent sure, I'd say its worth a try.

Here is the part you need, Part #4 in the diagram. Reason I say it will cost $250 to fix is because you should get a new gasket and filter:

04 Pressure regulator,convert.lockup clutch 1 24327532013 $83.5

Gasket and filter:

02 Gasket, oil pan 1 24117524707 $36.19
06 Set oil filter 1 24117557070 $132.11

Little green marker on the side indicating a steptronic GM tranny:

tranny stamp

dead tranny

tranny

Some pictures of the reverse solenoid:

DSC_0289

Reverse solenoid in the valve body

DSC_0306

Actual solenoid

DSC_0339

Screen that gets clogged

DSC_0340

I'm sorry I didnt post this 2 years ago.

Cliffs:

I think people with the GM trannies automatically associate the ZF transmission failure (reverse drum shredding) to their GM transmissions no-reverse even though the GM transmission has a completely different no reverse issue! I think most people just dont know the difference between a GM and a ZF tranny. Most take it to a shop saying they cant engage reverse so the shop just replaces the entire transmission when all that was needed was a solenoid! If you have a GM transmission and are afraid of losing reverse, when it happens, look into replacing the TCC & PWM solenoid. You don't need to replace your entire transmission!

This is just a possibility to look into, this doesnt apply to everyone!

(For anyone interested, my thread I made nearly 2 years ago)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=tcc

And my quote from that thread 2 years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I have a 2000 bmw 328Ci. My transmission has been acting up in the past year. I experienced the infamous "no reverse" problem. But its not the same as others no reverse problem. The car sometimes doesnt shift into reverse, reverse acts like a second neutral. But after i drive for a while in Drive, the reverse gear magically works again. This has happened 2 or 3 times. I have been reading and I dont think i have the ZF Transmission where the reverse gear completely strips because after i go in Drive, the reverse works again. I think its the TCC PWM solenoid. What should i tell my mechanic? Thanks in advance.
Cheers my friends

edit by B: changed some picture links as per PMed request from Neil

Last edited by Solidjake; 09-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
This information could have saved that guy on that thread today 2,500 dollars.. If only the noreverse website was run by mechanics instead of angry people (who are rightfully angry sorry rheide)

Nice write up

Last edited by Acarder; 09-23-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Blacke46bmws

My Ride: black 2001 330i
+1

<-----454 Big Block Chevy,Cams Racing Headers Dominator 1000CFM carb Chevy 12 bolt posy diff Roll cage Tubbed 16" Slicks 560 HP--->1973 Pontiac astro
Codename: WD40
Blacke46bmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
+2
Very good info
I hope this helps a lot of ppl

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
OCX

My Ride: 323i
+3

I was panicking thinking for months that I had the ZF transmission but only to find out that I have the GM Transmission. Great Write-up thanks

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the link. Nevermind

Last edited by OCX; 09-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.
OCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
neil1138

Thank you guys! And yeah, I have that link posted under "how to tell what transmission you have" but thank you for reminding me to check!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
bumere46

My Ride: E92
great info!!!
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
ejamin73

It's a sticky

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
rheide

My Ride: 2000 323i
Neil,
Thanks for the info. I manage the noreverse site and have just posted it there. True, I'm no mechanic and I'm not really angry (any more) - just trying to share as much info with others as we can!
Thanks again - great write up!!
rheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
neil1138

Thank you! What an honor! If it helps somebody down the line, then my goal will have been accomplished. Thank you again, glad to be of help.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
nice info..
but a sticky for automatics
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Great thread!
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
ejamin73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nice info..

Quote:

Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
Thank you!!!!1 !! one!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
FatBimmer

My Ride: was e46
Good btdt info
Neil, at what mileage did you get the noreverse condition on the GM tranny?
FatBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nice info..

in on first page.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBimmer View Post
Good btdt info
Neil, at what mileage did you get the noreverse condition on the GM tranny?
I bought the car at 120k miles and experienced the problem from the first week I had it up until I did my manual swap at about 137k
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
FatBimmer

My Ride: was e46
Quote:
I bought the car at 120k miles and experienced the problem from the first week I had it up until I did my manual swap at about 137k
Im at 90K miles, I have roughly about 30K miles before I start to anticpate the noreverse failure on my ride. Is it a hit/miss on these the GM trannies?

I specifically did not buy an e46 manual for 3 main reasons: avoid to replace clutch, a b*tch to drive in stop-go rush hour traffic, engine not powerful enough (less than 200HP)

But now, I may have to deal with a no-reverse failure. Nonetheless, the no-reverse fix is not that anal compare to replacing a clutch in the future.
FatBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Cliffs:

I think people with the GM trannies automatically associate the ZF transmission failure (reverse drum shredding) to their GM transmissions no-reverse even though the GM transmission has a completely different no reverse issue! I think most people just dont know the difference between a GM and a ZF tranny. Most take it to a shop saying they cant engage reverse so the shop just replaces the entire transmission when all that was needed was a solenoid! If you have a GM transmission and are afraid of losing reverse, when it happens, look into replacing the TCC & PWM solenoid. You don't need to replace your entire transmission!
Neil, for those interested, do you have the part #s handly?

Great thread! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBimmer View Post
Im at 90K miles, I have roughly about 30K miles before I start to anticpate the noreverse failure on my ride. Is it a hit/miss on these the GM trannies?

I specifically did not buy an e46 manual for 3 main reasons: avoid to replace clutch, a b*tch to drive in stop-go rush hour traffic, engine not powerful enough (less than 200HP)

But now, I may have to deal with a no-reverse failure. Nonetheless, the no-reverse fix is not that anal compare to replacing a clutch in the future.
lol wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Neil, for those interested, do you have the part #s handly?

Great thread! Thanks!
Yeah I will add it to the first post, thank you for reminding me!

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission