E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.12 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #181
BrutaL

My Ride: E46
Took me 2 days (on/off) to finish reading the whole thread
So no one has put a finger on the root cause of the no reverse fiasco?
BrutaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #182
miggynuez

My Ride: 2003 2.0L 318i
My tranny is acting really funny.

When I engage reverse with my foot is still on the brake, the rpms bounce really low (500-700) and the car shakes. Occasionally, this kills the engine but not all the time. Once you gas it, it slips and the rpm rises (like in neutral) but engages almost immediately after that and reverses but the shaking and jerking is still there and you can really feel the slip.

In Drive, the shifting is harsh in low rpms and smooth in high revs. By harsh I mean that when I gas it in drive, the rpm drops, then the car feels heavy (loss of power), and then rpm rises again regaining power. What I don't understand is it's fine when you drive it hard (high rpm, In forward).

Please help. I'm desperate to get this fixed...

Please?

"Take the first step in faith..."

"Anything with t*ts or wheels will give you problems..."
miggynuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #183
Irish58

My Ride: 2000 Auto E46 Black
E46 No-Reverse Issue

Had mine replaced, now getting another problem on cold mornings, feel a heavy sound under 10MPH that the gear is not droppin in to gear correctly.
Irish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #184
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I am having this problem. I took it to a mechanic to have the fluid and filter changed. Afterwards the forward shifting seems better but the reverse may be worse. Before it was shifting in reverse usually after warming up. Now it shifts into reverse for a few seconds then I have to put it in neutral and then back in to reverse a few times to get it to back up. Is my problem the same as the one listed here? Also, I went to the noreverse site and there was a guy I talked to in San Diego that said he fixes this problem if you send the valve body to him. It doesn't sound like its cheaper than replacing the valve body from what I've read here and the linked posts. Any info greatly appreciated. Also, when the car shifts from 3 to 4 it drops to 5 and doesn't shift back down to 3 very easily, especially when going up a hill. Could this be because of too much fluid or something else? Thanks again.
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #185
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutaL View Post
Took me 2 days (on/off) to finish reading the whole thread
So no one has put a finger on the root cause of the no reverse fiasco?
To Summarize,

The problem is in the Valve Body. That is for 100% sure.

Reverse is not engaging most likely due to the Reverse Lockout Bore not engaging. Several things can keep this from happening.

So far the TCC module replacement has not fixed anyone's problem in the long term.

Flushing the fluid is good for the transmission and will make it shift better overall.

Getting your Valve Body repaired (300-500 ish) or getting a new one (1200) might be the only true, long term fix.

Or if we could learn how to repair the Valve Body ourselves we would be best off.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #186
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmr View Post
I am having this problem. I took it to a mechanic to have the fluid and filter changed. Afterwards the forward shifting seems better but the reverse may be worse. Before it was shifting in reverse usually after warming up. Now it shifts into reverse for a few seconds then I have to put it in neutral and then back in to reverse a few times to get it to back up. Is my problem the same as the one listed here? Also, I went to the noreverse site and there was a guy I talked to in San Diego that said he fixes this problem if you send the valve body to him. It doesn't sound like its cheaper than replacing the valve body from what I've read here and the linked posts. Any info greatly appreciated. Also, when the car shifts from 3 to 4 it drops to 5 and doesn't shift back down to 3 very easily, especially when going up a hill. Could this be because of too much fluid or something else? Thanks again.
You donot have a G5M transmssion, this is unrelated to the thread, might be your reverse drum.

Last edited by Toad21; 07-15-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #187
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
It has been a while since I was here. I have the GM tranmsission in my 323 with a build date of July 99. I got a great price on the car because the seller was convinced it needed a tranmission, I followed the recommendations of this thread and decided that I needed the TCC Solenoid. I'm actually a pretty good mechanic, but I haven't the guts to cut into a transmission and start screwing around. To be honest, my main issue is filling it with properly when the new parts are installed. Maybe filling the transmission isn't hard, but the directions look difficult and I don't have the proper equipment to get under a car without laying flat on my back.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I took the car to my mechanic specifically for the TCC. He said that when he dropped the pan, it was dirty but that the TCC was okay. I don't know how he could surmise that, but I went along with him. The car worked fine for weeks, but the problem eventually returned. My daughter drives the car, and she reports that the transmission fails about 10% of the time, and there's no pattern as to always cold or always hot. Reverse balks at any time with no rhyme or reason.

I took the car back and got the fluid flushed for free and paid for the TCC. We got the car back on July 15 with a new TCC and 6 quarts of ATF. I paid for the fluid and the part, the mechanic covered the labor because he didn't put the part in when I asked.

I'll keep tabs and post back.

Basically, I hit a bases loaded home run on buying the car unless I have to do major transmission work -- and then I only hit a single that didn't bring anybody home.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #188
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish58 View Post
Had mine replaced, now getting another problem on cold mornings, feel a heavy sound under 10MPH that the gear is not droppin in to gear correctly.
What is the cold morning you problem you have ?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #189
SolidBMW

My Ride: Toyota Camry
Is it truth that changing tranny fluid can mess up the tranny. BMW has the "lifetime" fluid.

Last edited by SolidBMW; 08-05-2010 at 01:02 AM.
SolidBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #190
BrutaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBMW View Post
Is it truth that changing tranny fluid can mess up the tranny. BMW has the "lifetime" fluid.
Yeah I've read about failed tranny after fluid change.

I aint touching my lifetime fluid with a ten foot pole unless fluid level is low.
Since it's a sealed unit, the synthetic fluid has no where to go unless there's obvious leakage. If so,I'll fix the leak and top up with fluid.
Since I drive an auto and dont abuse the car, there is no chance of grinding the gears or shaved metals. Therefore, as far as tranny mechanicals is concerned, my tranny will infinitely last a long long time.

If Im gonna have tranny issues, it's gonna be in the tranny electronics.

Last edited by BrutaL; 08-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #191
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
My transmission is GM A5S 390R. I'm having the manual swap done. The good thing about the manual is that it only holds 2 quarts of fluid and from what I can tell doesn't have a filter. This will cut down on maintenance.

Last edited by jeffmr; 08-07-2010 at 07:01 AM.
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #192
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
I followed the advice of Starless in this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=458451 and had a rebuilt valve body with sonnax kits installed (after the solenoid fix failed). Now all is well!
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #193
BrutaL

It appears the valve body going bad is root cause for some people. So what makes the valve body go bad. Improper tranny oil change procedure (hehe) or just bad luck?

Last edited by BrutaL; 08-09-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #194
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
What tranny does my A/T 325Ci have? I noticed you pointed out what transmission type the 323 and 328's have, but not the 325... And is the 325Ci prone to these issues?

Last edited by Lusticles; 08-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Lusticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #195
BrutaL

You have to back-read or read from the top of this thread. There's a guide somewhere . Heck it took me 2 days to read from page1

And the person who pm'd me basically asking the same question, find the guide somewhere in this thread. Look for Neil's post.

Last edited by BrutaL; 08-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #196
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
I followed the advice of Starless in this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=458451 and had a rebuilt valve body with sonnax kits installed (after the solenoid fix failed). Now all is well!
Could you please elaborate? What shop did you use? How much did it cost? What is the sonnax kit?

I will be getting my transmission valve body repaired after a short while, and no one is reporting back with the results. Starless's thread just said it works, doesnt say how much, where, etc.

Let me know and thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #197
Toad21

Wow. This is the solution to fix the GM trans no reverse due to faulty valve body.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=458451

Long story short;

Option 1: you can spend $700 for the tools and parts to fix it yourself (Sonnex Kit + Tools)
Option 2: Spend $500 to ship it off to a professional shop that will install the Sonnex kit for you
Option 3: Buy a re-manufactured one for around $500

So your thinking, what do I need to do?

1. Put your car on 4 jack stands
2. Drain Transmission
3. Remove Transmission Pan
4. Remove Valve Body
5. Ship Valve Body to a shop or Install re-manufactured one. (Needs to be Sonnex capable)
6. Wait for 1-2 weeks (not if you choose remanufactored)
7. Reinstall

I am guessing it will costs 700$ all said and done. Shipping will be 30$ each way, and the fluid is 100$.

Last edited by Toad21; 08-16-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #198
ben_00_328ci

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Thanks for the info! Haven't had any issues with my 328 yet, but if I do I'll be sure to remember this post.
ben_00_328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #199
BrutaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_00_328ci View Post
Thanks for the info! Haven't had any issues with my 328 yet, but if I do I'll be sure to remember this post.
That's great! How many clicks on the odo? Aside from checking for leaks or fluid level, I wouldnt touch (tranny oil change ) that tranny if I were you. If you do, make sure it's done right. But if I were you I wont do it.

Last edited by BrutaL; 08-30-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #200
miggynuez

My Ride: 2003 2.0L 318i
Thanks toad21 for the post. The dealer is recommending I change my valve body since they think replacing will fix my problem 100%.

The only problem is they need to charge me $3,000 for the new valve body from germany and another $1000 for labor. They must be out of their freaking minds.

So I have contacted the seller of the remanufactured valve body from the link you posted. Hoping to get a reply soon.

Thanks man.

"Take the first step in faith..."

"Anything with t*ts or wheels will give you problems..."
miggynuez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission