E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.21 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #361
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth9976 View Post
2000 bmw 328i no reverse, I replaced the solenoid in the tranny filled with new fluid and filter still won't go in R any ideas what I should do? Any input will be helpful thanx
Was the inlet filter on the solenoid? If not, check out my post #348

Last edited by lszlszx; 07-21-2013 at 05:00 PM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #362
Seth9976

My Ride: 2000 BMW328i
Send a message via Skype™ to Seth9976
Ok

I pushed the car out of my driveway drove down the road and back and reverse cam back I let the car sit for a few hours and it's still working so we will see tomorrow morning if it still works thanks ill let u know how it goes I have another issue after I replaced the battery in the car the doors won't unlock only with the key
Seth9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #363
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
Punctuation?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #364
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
Punctuation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth9976 View Post
2000 bmw 328i no reverse, I replaced the solenoid in the tranny filled with new fluid and filter still won't go in R any ideas what I should do? Any input will be helpful thanx
You could have a ZF tranny, which means you need to open your tranny and replace the reverse drum.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #365
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
If the solenoid doesn't fix it or you have a forward gear problem I posted a rebuild DIY in the DIY section.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1000845
Darrell
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #366
bmwsedan99

My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i 2003h2
which Tranny do i have

Hey everyone I have a 1999 323I 4 door sedan I have had this car for a few years and want to do a fluid and filter change I counted the number of bolts holding the pan on and came up with 20 with none missing Now all the filters I see on the internet when I go to order a filter and gasket ask if it is a 16 or 22 bolt pan and also what size torx bit is used to take the fill plug loose
bmwsedan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #367
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsedan99 View Post
Hey everyone I have a 1999 323I 4 door sedan I have had this car for a few years and want to do a fluid and filter change I counted the number of bolts holding the pan on and came up with 20 with none missing Now all the filters I see on the internet when I go to order a filter and gasket ask if it is a 16 or 22 bolt pan and also what size torx bit is used to take the fill plug loose
First you need to identify which tranny you have, the GM, or ZF.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #368
bmwsedan99

well tag on side of transmission has GM on it with other numbers and every filter I have ran across so far either has a 22 bolt pattern or 16 even the one I ordered from BMW
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #369
bmwsedan99

filter and gasket that is
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #370
Johnnykash

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i Sedan
Man **** just got this problem no reverse my car is a 2001 bmw 325i with the sports pkg wtf should I do? Do I have to get a new tranny that's what the mechanics telling me ;(. Any suggestions would be helpful I might convert to stick let me know some good shops in the DMV area if anyone lives around here
Johnnykash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #371
Johnnykash

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i Sedan
Unhappy So sad

How do I find out what kind of tranny I have? My car just won't go in reverse anymore it happened when I was in drive and then tried to reverse quick nd it wouldn't move. What should I do man any suggestions are extremely helpful in this trying time for me. It's a 2001 bmw 325i sports pkg so it might be the gm. This is really stressing me the **** out man
Johnnykash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #372
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Did you start from the beginning of this thread?/ Its all there..

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #373
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsedan99 View Post
well tag on side of transmission has GM on it with other numbers and every filter I have ran across so far either has a 22 bolt pattern or 16 even the one I ordered from BMW
Now I remember, there were 2 extra holes on the gasket that I put on.
That's OK, the gasket may also be made for other transmissions that use 22 holes.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #374
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnykash View Post
How do I find out what kind of tranny I have? My car just won't go in reverse anymore it happened when I was in drive and then tried to reverse quick nd it wouldn't move. What should I do man any suggestions are extremely helpful in this trying time for me. It's a 2001 bmw 325i sports pkg so it might be the gm. This is really stressing me the **** out man
You probably have a ZF tranny. Just take a quick look under the car and look at the tranny pan. If it has ribs in it, it is the ZF.

You need to remove the tranny and replace the reverse drum to fix it.

Look at post here describing that procedure:

DIY- How to replace reverse drum, ZF5HP19
(http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=750714)

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 08-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #375
Skeens43

My Ride: 2000 328i (4dr/auto)
I bought a used 2000 328i in July. We've owned it 58 days and it's been in the shop for 43. I've about had it! Right now I don't know if it's the car or mechanic and would like to get some educated opinions. It's been a list of problems, but now it's the tranny. I talked to the previous owner and I know this: About 100,000 miles the car lost reverse and he had a pressured fluid change (with filter) that was supposed to flush valves, etc. Said the car never had another issue. He traded it with 128,000 miles and after three months on the lot, we bought it. During this time I just found out (after the sale) it once failed to go in reverse for the owner of the car lot, but started working again. We get the car and guess what? With no rhyme or reason, reverse works, then it doesn't. Turn the ignition off, restart, guess what? Reverse is working again. Works for a couple weeks and same thing, this is with the car warm and at the end of a 30-mile trip, no reverse. The mechanic drives it and says he drops it into reverse 10 or more times, no problem. Takes it home, gets in it coming to work, no reverse. Little while later, its working again. Here's my confusion - I mention to him if it's a GM tranny and he says it isn't. Of course I don't have the car to check myself either. In most post I've read it seems if it's NOT a GM tranny and the other kind, no one talks of it coming and going like this car, that it's always the reverse drum and reverse is gone. Get this too, they called to tell me they can't promise it will fix the trouble, but they're going to replace the reverse solenoid in the valve body. Can anyone weigh in here on what's going on? Does the FZ tranny loose reverse for good or can it be intermittent like this? Can it also be repaired with solenoid replacement? Did my mechanic miss quote and it can only be a GM tranny? Is my mechanic a dork and needs to find another occupation? Please tell me what going on!
Skeens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #376
CORVAIRWILD

I'm just the gofer when it comes to trannys, but MOST mech's are dorks, and with cars going electronic, it's game over. Parts replacers will eventually solve the prob... But at a sig waste of time and money.

What's the answer in your case? Troll all the BMW forums, and there will be someone that works/worked at a tranny shop/dealer, and help you with your prob. You could try call a tranny parts wholesaler, like Rich at Winners Choice Tranny supply in Pa, he walked me thru all the probs with my "freshy" rebuilt 4L80E in my Silverado diesel pickup as I lined the burned up parts on a card table. Maybe he can recommend a shop??

http://www.winnerschoicetransmission...ign/Categories

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 09-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
CORVAIRWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #377
CORVAIRWILD

I'm just the gofer when it comes to trannys, but MOST mech's are dorks, and with cars going electronic, it's game over. Pars replacers will eventually solve the prob... But at a sig waste of time and money.

What's the answer in your case? Troll all the BMW forums, and there will be someone that works/worked at a tranny shop/dealer, and help you with your prob. You could try call a tranny parts wholesaler, like Rich at Winners Choice Tranny supply in Pa, he walked me thru all the probs with my "freshy" rebuilt 4L80E in my Silverado diesel pickup as I lined the burned up parts on a card table. Maybe he can recommend a shop??

http://www.winnerschoicetransmission...ign/Categories
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #378
jrcarter_2000

My Ride: 323i
solenoid will not fix it, need to replace the valve body......had the exact same issue as you, mine is a GM tranny, pretty sure yours is too or your reverse gear is trashed and you don't get reverse intermittently......better to replace the valve body and be done with it. Even if it is just the solenoid it is not going to cost that much more labor wise.
I replaced the solenoid first and paid for the part/labor and the reverse went out again 3 weeks later.
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #379
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens43 View Post
I mention to him if it's a GM tranny and he says it isn't. Of course I don't have the car to check myself either.

Here is a link to help determine what transmission you have.

2000 328i has a GM Transmission.

2001 325i has a ZF Transmission.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 09-12-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #380
jrcarter_2000

My Ride: 323i
More info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=458451

Bought my new valvebody from http://valvebodyxpress.com/
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission