E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 4.27 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #381
Skeens43

My Ride: 2000 328i (4dr/auto)
Well folks, it's back to the drawing board. The reverse solenoid replacement worked for two weeks and without warning, went out again tonight. Did learn this 2000 BMW 328i we have does have a ZF tranny instead of the GM. I'm calling the mechanic bck tomorrow and I really don't know what direction I should go with it. I'm really confused about what to do. Is it better to bite the bullit and throw in a rebuild tranny or since the other gears shift fine and the reverse gear "exists" in the tranny, just not shifting into it (again), would replacing the entire valve body be the most economical route to take? I'd appreciate any advise.
Skeens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #382
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens43 View Post
Well folks, it's back to the drawing board. The reverse solenoid replacement worked for two weeks and without warning, went out again tonight. Did learn this 2000 BMW 328i we have does have a ZF tranny instead of the GM. I'm calling the mechanic bck tomorrow and I really don't know what direction I should go with it. I'm really confused about what to do. Is it better to bite the bullit and throw in a rebuild tranny or since the other gears shift fine and the reverse gear "exists" in the tranny, just not shifting into it (again), would replacing the entire valve body be the most economical route to take? I'd appreciate any advise.
It is more than likely the reverse drum. Find out how much the tranny shops will charge to rebuild your tranny and replace the reverse drum. You can buy a used tranny, or have this one rebuilt. Or if you really want to become dangerous, you can learn to repair it yourself.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #383
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
Pricey decisions... I feel your pain...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #384
Skeens43

My Ride: 2000 328i (4dr/auto)
Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post. Just another quick update. After three weeks of no issues with the replaced reverse solenoid, without warning it stopped working. I had a few minutes so I posted about it. Get this, my son drives the car home and just as uneventful as it going out, it starts going back into reverese again! What the heck? I read about the reverse drums going bad on the ZF transmissions (which this car has), yet it sounds like when you lose reverse in the ZF most everyone says its the drum and when it's gone it's gone. So why has mine gone out, started working again, out again, replace the solenoid, working again, out again tonight, yet now it's working??????? What is happening with this car????
Skeens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #385
CORVAIRWILD

Is there a port on the tranny to connect a pressure gauge?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #386
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Updated link to the Sonnax article by Bob Warnke discussing causes for no reverse for the GM 5L40E transmission:

A good read.

http://www.sonnax.com/publications/t...reverse-or-tcc
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #387
CORVAIRWILD

But isn't this a ZF? Does the same thinking apply?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #388
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens43 View Post
Thanks to all the people who have replied to my post. Just another quick update. After three weeks of no issues with the replaced reverse solenoid, without warning it stopped working. I had a few minutes so I posted about it. Get this, my son drives the car home and just as uneventful as it going out, it starts going back into reverese again! What the heck? I read about the reverse drums going bad on the ZF transmissions (which this car has), yet it sounds like when you lose reverse in the ZF most everyone says its the drum and when it's gone it's gone. So why has mine gone out, started working again, out again, replace the solenoid, working again, out again tonight, yet now it's working??????? What is happening with this car????
You need to do some sluething to get to YOUR problem:

Drop your pan and filter and see if you find fragments of the reverse drum in the pan, etc. You may have to drop your valve body as well if there are none in the pan.

If you find the fragments, it is your drum.
If you do not find any drum fragments, then it is the solenoid or valve body.

This is one way to further narrow down your problem.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #389
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I would get a used transmission or something.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #390
boostjunkie92

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Re: * No-Reverse Solution For GM Transmission *

Mine goes on and off...I just replaced the solenoid and it still happens... the old solenoid was in great shape too
boostjunkie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #391
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Still no luck with GM trany leaking out of breather

I posted a while back about my problem with ATF coming out of breather at times, mainly with trany is cold and in reverse. Well about a month ago 400 miles, did a full trans flush and filter. Installed Napa Dextron 6. No problems and leaks for 400. Then the other day it did it again. So I guess have no choice but to take to shop for rebuild. One shop thinks if something to do with the forward pump?

Just wanted to give an update
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #392
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Riverjamie,
Why are you deciding to take it in for a rebuild? Other than blowing fluid out of the breather hole, is it not shifting and driving ok?

I have had the same problem (you'll see my posts a few pages back). Several times, my '99 328i has puked tranny fluid presumably out of that breather hole. But, it has continued to drive just fine (except for the first time which I attributed the problem to the ABS sensors acting up). Most recently, a couple months ago, I again was parked on the slope of my driveway (not real steep) and reversed out of the drive and it leaked out a half a quart or so. But, it continued driving ok. If it does it again, I may re top-off the fluid as I assume it will be too low. But, as long as it's driving ok, I don't want to do a rebuild.

So, I'm just wondering if you're thinking about doing a rebuild just because it is blowing out fluid or because it's not shifting/engaging properly.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #393
riverjamie

eweis, thanks for the feedback. Most of the time when it does it. It doesn't blow a lot out. Maybe a few big drops, but a few times before I did the fluid change it really blew some out, probably at least a pint??? So I agree I really don't want to spend 3k for a rebuild. But my concern is with soiling my driveway and other peoples if I go somewhere. I could just park it on the street.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #394
CORVAIRWILD

How about a vented catch can???
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #395
riverjamie

Corvairwild, you mean a normal transmission with a dipstick tube. That would have been to easy to install don't you think. If they would have put one in on these cars then the excess fluid from what ever pressure is causing it could just go up the tube and then fall back in or just come out around to top of the dip stick tube. And if the trany was getting low I'd have a way to measure it and refill. But noooooo BMW thought that this trany fluid would last a lifetime. What a joke. Something with metal and oil is going to wear, so eventually you have a metal based ATF wearing your trany faster and faster as it ages. Rocket science. The problem is that the breather is so small maybe 1/4 to 3/8 in diameter, and the location is a real pain to get to. but I did think of the same thing. The breather looks like a little metal tube with a floating cap on top, the whole thing is only about 1/2 high.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #396
bumere46

My Ride: E92
some seller is selling a ZF drum on eBay. he claims it to be an updated part
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #397
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
I think all the AWD xi's have the ZF
According to this, all xi's have a GM transmission, not the ZF. You should read the first post in this discussion, and follow all of the links it contains. You would not say stuff like, "all xi's have the ZF."

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #398
4hoods

My Ride: 02' 325xit 5sp white
I had a Lexus rx 300 suv lost reverse and just took out input output tranny sensors, wiped the shavings off them because they are magnetic, switched them with each other. Reverse worked perfect and then I sold the damn thing. Everyone wanted to do a tranny swap. But I could feel it engage but when pressing the gas it would just rev and then slam in gear. Not sure what trannies they have but damn sensors can cause havoc.
4hoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #399
cwithbmw

My Ride: e46 328i
A lot of inaccurate info posted recently. This is almost always a case of the GM Valve Body. You can buy re-manufactured bodies with the Sonnex kits pre-installed.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #400
CORVAIRWILD

Care to elaborate?

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 11-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.
CORVAIRWILD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission