E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #401
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
When the reverse goes out on the ZF, the reverse drum needs to be replaced. So if it works on and off, it must be a GM.

Did you see the old solenoid?
On mine (also 2000 328i), the inlet filter broke off and the broken pieces caused the problem.
I documented it in post #348.

New valve body seem to fix some of them, but it's a hit and miss.
You're looking at about the same expense for a used tranny, or a new valve body.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #402
boostjunkie92

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Re: * No-Reverse Solution For GM Transmission *

Mine goes on and off...I just replaced the solenoid and it still happens... the old solenoid was in great shape too
boostjunkie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #403
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Still no luck with GM trany leaking out of breather

I posted a while back about my problem with ATF coming out of breather at times, mainly with trany is cold and in reverse. Well about a month ago 400 miles, did a full trans flush and filter. Installed Napa Dextron 6. No problems and leaks for 400. Then the other day it did it again. So I guess have no choice but to take to shop for rebuild. One shop thinks if something to do with the forward pump?

Just wanted to give an update
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #404
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Riverjamie,
Why are you deciding to take it in for a rebuild? Other than blowing fluid out of the breather hole, is it not shifting and driving ok?

I have had the same problem (you'll see my posts a few pages back). Several times, my '99 328i has puked tranny fluid presumably out of that breather hole. But, it has continued to drive just fine (except for the first time which I attributed the problem to the ABS sensors acting up). Most recently, a couple months ago, I again was parked on the slope of my driveway (not real steep) and reversed out of the drive and it leaked out a half a quart or so. But, it continued driving ok. If it does it again, I may re top-off the fluid as I assume it will be too low. But, as long as it's driving ok, I don't want to do a rebuild.

So, I'm just wondering if you're thinking about doing a rebuild just because it is blowing out fluid or because it's not shifting/engaging properly.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #405
riverjamie

eweis, thanks for the feedback. Most of the time when it does it. It doesn't blow a lot out. Maybe a few big drops, but a few times before I did the fluid change it really blew some out, probably at least a pint??? So I agree I really don't want to spend 3k for a rebuild. But my concern is with soiling my driveway and other peoples if I go somewhere. I could just park it on the street.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #406
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
How about a vented catch can???
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #407
riverjamie

Corvairwild, you mean a normal transmission with a dipstick tube. That would have been to easy to install don't you think. If they would have put one in on these cars then the excess fluid from what ever pressure is causing it could just go up the tube and then fall back in or just come out around to top of the dip stick tube. And if the trany was getting low I'd have a way to measure it and refill. But noooooo BMW thought that this trany fluid would last a lifetime. What a joke. Something with metal and oil is going to wear, so eventually you have a metal based ATF wearing your trany faster and faster as it ages. Rocket science. The problem is that the breather is so small maybe 1/4 to 3/8 in diameter, and the location is a real pain to get to. but I did think of the same thing. The breather looks like a little metal tube with a floating cap on top, the whole thing is only about 1/2 high.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #408
bumere46

My Ride: E92
some seller is selling a ZF drum on eBay. he claims it to be an updated part
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #409
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
I think all the AWD xi's have the ZF
According to this, all xi's have a GM transmission, not the ZF. You should read the first post in this discussion, and follow all of the links it contains. You would not say stuff like, "all xi's have the ZF."

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #410
4hoods

My Ride: 02' 325xit 5sp white
I had a Lexus rx 300 suv lost reverse and just took out input output tranny sensors, wiped the shavings off them because they are magnetic, switched them with each other. Reverse worked perfect and then I sold the damn thing. Everyone wanted to do a tranny swap. But I could feel it engage but when pressing the gas it would just rev and then slam in gear. Not sure what trannies they have but damn sensors can cause havoc.
4hoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #411
cwithbmw

My Ride: e46 328i
A lot of inaccurate info posted recently. This is almost always a case of the GM Valve Body. You can buy re-manufactured bodies with the Sonnex kits pre-installed.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #412
CORVAIRWILD

Care to elaborate?

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 11-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.
CORVAIRWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #413
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
A lot of inaccurate info posted recently. This is almost always a case of the GM Valve Body. You can buy re-manufactured bodies with the Sonnex kits pre-installed.
That's the problem. You don't know for sure until a lot of $$$ is spent.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #414
cwithbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
That's the problem. You don't know for sure until a lot of $$$ is spent.
You are certainly correct, sorry for sounding like it is always the problem. As I did my research for my GM transmission, I found that replacing the solenoid or drum rarely fixed the problem for an extended amount of time. Whereas a new valve body helped consistently (also since GM recalled this transmission for this issue, it is most often the case).
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #415
lszlszx

I agree, when I had the no-reverse problem I read this whole thread.
It's an overstatement to call it "no-reverse solution", there have been maybe 2 or 3 owners who were able to fix the problem by replacing the solenoid.

What did GM say about the valve body? Do the bores wear out?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #416
cwithbmw

Now that I am looking it up again, I don't see the recall mentioned. However, Sonnex did a full case study on this transmission and the mis-design of the bore hole placement.

http://www.sonnax.com/publications/t...reverse-or-tcc
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #417
CORVAIRWILD

Sure is technical!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #418
Skeens43

My Ride: 2000 328i (4dr/auto)
For all those interested in what happened to the 2000 328i I own that we replaced the solenoid in a few months ago (with the ZF tranny), it started losing reverse again and I just can't own a car that I can't count on working properly. It's in the shop this week getting a remanufactured tranny installed - another $3,000 spent on this car... Funny, I though these were supposed to be some of the best engineered cars in the world, yet in my 49 years and a list of Dodge, Ford, GM, Honda products, I've spent almost as much money on this BMW than the rest combined... I don't get it.
Skeens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #419
lszlszx

Sorry to hear the solenoid didn't fix it!
I think you have GM transmission though.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #420
CORVAIRWILD

I have found that the rattiest rustiest greasiest cars usually run the best the longest. I've had lo miles cars have engine or tranny probs, and some with double or triple the miles go and go and go. I think it's cause stuff just gets worn in together. Kinda like an old timer that's just fading slowly. Used cars or trucks are a crapshoot, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

These forums really help... Example; A friend bought a junker '99 Subaru from a scammer dealer on ebay. So he finally had a good used engine installed, (not easy to find, Subbys have serious engine probs, and many are improperly repaired), so the repair guy is 100 miles away, totally honest, but even tho the car is running like new, the factory alarm flashes the parking lamps and dash lamps. The mech has never seen the prob, and the dealer mech says it may take 2-3 hours at $95 an hour to diagnose. A Google search has a simple 30 second solution...

Keep us posted on the prob w the tranny. Is it a rear drive? Mine is an xi, so ZF tranny.

Here's the video of my friend pkng up the Subby

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission