E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #81
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
Well...I was going to buy a second car today..a 323i 2000...But now I'm a bit worried. Well, at least I know what to check for when I see the car later today.

Below is a pic taken on 1/16/10
Photobucket
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #82
Jaryn26

My Ride: 330ci
so has anyone actually done this to their transmission?
Jaryn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #83
LOCUST1978

My Ride: 325ci sport converti
Hi, what a brilliant forum, this thread is the reason i have signed up,my 1st post.

I have a 2001 325ci auto convertible uk spec, and i have been suffering with an intermittent reverse problem.

As described, it comes and goes, it hasnt failed on me, but sometimes when cold, it will rev and move slowly, after a min or so it will engage reverse fine.

I find the table a little confusing as to which gearbox mine has, can anyone help to diagnose if its the solenoid problem ?

Thanks in advance.
LOCUST1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #84
Jaryn26

My Ride: 330ci
just go under there and look at the tranny itself it will tell you

i think you have a zf not sure i also have a 01 and its zf so this solenoid doesn't pertain to us
Jaryn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #85
leopoldoguti

My Ride: E46 328i
Send a message via MSN to leopoldoguti
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Damn, it happened again after working all day yesterday. Crossing my fingers that it will come back after some driving, I'm geting tired of pushing my car back and then hopping in before I rolls away from me.
Actually i have the same issue, 328i reverse only works sometimes, and if before i park the reverse works then the reverse will work when i get back in the car.
So every time i park i make sure the reverse works, if it doesn't i look for a different spot...
leopoldoguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #86
thisguy408

My Ride: 2000 Bmw 328i
this just happen to my 328i car last week i wonder if i hav ethe ZM or GM thingy transmission BMW is such a harsh car to fix OMG... i think i might just sell my 1999 bmw 328i with 120,000 miles for 4300 grand you guys think that is a fair amount???
thisguy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #87
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldoguti View Post
Actually i have the same issue, 328i reverse only works sometimes, and if before i park the reverse works then the reverse will work when i get back in the car.
So every time i park i make sure the reverse works, if it doesn't i look for a different spot...
You'll be glad to know it's an easy fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy408 View Post
this just happen to my 328i car last week i wonder if i hav ethe ZM or GM thingy transmission BMW is such a harsh car to fix OMG... i think i might just sell my 1999 bmw 328i with 120,000 miles for 4300 grand you guys think that is a fair amount???
You have the GM transmission, woot
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #88
leopoldoguti

My Ride: E46 328i
Send a message via MSN to leopoldoguti
[QUOTE=neil1138;11333947]You'll be glad to know it's an easy fix!

Yeah, my car is in the Shop right now.
My mechanic will check every solenoid and replace the reverse one, and while he is there put some new fluid and filter... should be good by this afternoon

ill let u guys know how it goes
leopoldoguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #89
pyo

My Ride: Z4 3.0i '04
Send a message via AIM to pyo Send a message via MSN to pyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldoguti View Post

Got the solenoid replaced as well as fluid and filter. Was working fine for 2 days then it stopped working after all day of driving. Drove 10 min and everything was fine again. No hiccups since. Hope it stays that way
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #90
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Son of a monkey. My reverse didn't work today. It just started working again, but I know I need to do something now.

I have a GM transmission. Is there a link to a full tutorial? Ill keep reading and if I find one I will link it.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #91
DaHammer

My Ride: 2003 E46
Neil or anyone else that cares to chime in. Everything in this thread is specific to no reverse. Could one of the solenoids be the cause of a slow to engage drive? Same symtoms as the no reverse with the GM trannies, except it takes a few seconds for drive to engage also on a GM tranny. I know there is a TSB for this and BMW was replacing the trannies at first under the TSB, but later changed the TSB to update the software. Also, (bare in mind I know very little about the internals of trannies) if it's just a clogged screen in the solenoid, why can't you just clean the screen instead of replacing the solenoid?
DaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #92
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHammer View Post
Neil or anyone else that cares to chime in. Everything in this thread is specific to no reverse. Could one of the solenoids be the cause of a slow to engage drive? Same symtoms as the no reverse with the GM trannies, except it takes a few seconds for drive to engage also on a GM tranny. I know there is a TSB for this and BMW was replacing the trannies at first under the TSB, but later changed the TSB to update the software. Also, (bare in mind I know very little about the internals of trannies) if it's just a clogged screen in the solenoid, why can't you just clean the screen instead of replacing the solenoid?
+1 regarding cleaning the solenoid. Also I have Q, You said that it's clogged, What is making this solenoid clogged?. is it somthing in the fluid?! and could we clean the other solinoids as a maintenance every time we change the fluid?

I have anther problem in trans. ( harsh shift from 1-2 during warm up ) I dont know what causing this prob.
But you Mr. Neil open the ideas to me to think about my problem.
Thanks for you.

Last edited by maxi; 03-28-2010 at 02:23 AM.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #93
Pipebomb

My Ride: E39 E46
This happened to me so I replaced the solenoid Saturday. Everything worked fine the rest of the weekend until today. It failed to go into reverse twice today so far. Drive it a bit and everything seems normal again. Here is my thinking.... I believe the valve itself is the problem. I think the solenoid can go bad but there is also the possibility that debris is causing the valve to stick. Anyone else feel free to chime in with any other ideas.
Pipebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #94
Toad21

Where is a good step by step tutorial to do this yourself?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #95
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
This happened to me so I replaced the solenoid Saturday. Everything worked fine the rest of the weekend until today. It failed to go into reverse twice today so far. Drive it a bit and everything seems normal again. Here is my thinking.... I believe the valve itself is the problem. I think the solenoid can go bad but there is also the possibility that debris is causing the valve to stick. Anyone else feel free to chime in with any other ideas.
What tutorial did you use?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #96
pyo

My Ride: Z4 3.0i '04
Send a message via AIM to pyo Send a message via MSN to pyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
Same situation as you. Replaced solenoid, worked fine for a few days and then started acting up once in a while. Haven't found a solution yet, but if you a post wouldbe much appreciated. I'll do the same.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #97
neil1138

If the solenoid didn't fix it, that could be troublesome. Cleaning out the valve body isn't easy, if you decide to take it apart, best of luck getting it back together properly. I honestly don't have advice for doing valve body work, that's over my head. For what it's worth, you could try cleaning it without taking it apart but I don't know how well that would work. We could move to simpler things like taking a look at the electronics behind the gear engagement. Take a look at your internal transmission wiring harness, I know when I took mine out, it was so brittle who knows if it was going to go bad at some point. Have you guys tried fluid changes, at the very least a filter change? Maybe the whole problem is behind there being too much gunk in the valve body and when you put a new solenoid in there, it just gets gunked again? I kinda confused here because I've never heard of this failing for so many people, there must be another underlying problem causing your no reverse
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #98
Toad21

Neil, could you so kindly give me a list of things to do? I have read this entire thread and there is no 1st step that I know of.

Should I just use the regular transmission flush tutorial, and then when the pan is off replace the solenoid?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=trans
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #99
Pipebomb

My Ride: E39 E46
UPDATE: Car still shifting fine. Have been driving it the past couple days to work and everywhere else and reverse still works. If it comes down to it and I do pull the valve body, I will definitely take pictures. I have a couple very knowledgeable people at my disposal when it comes to rebuilding them.
Pipebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #100
Toad21

Pipebomb, what was the step by step procedure you used?

I find it hard to believe that is not in this thread somewhere.

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission