E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.37 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #161
rd995

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
for 3 weeks now my reverse is been working fine, at the beginning after the oil change and solenoid replacement the car didn't have reverse just like before. What i recommend if you are having this problem first change your trans oil, filter and gasket after you change your oil run the car for couple of weeks if you problem is still there then the problem might be the solenoid or the valves.
rd995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #162
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
I was looking for some more infos about trans. may I can get some thoughts about how problems happen. I have found this link of pdf copy. it has some nice info about trans.
http://www.ge39.com/files/electran1%2B2.pdf

I have read it, very good infos.

Hope you find it useful.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #163
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I stated a few months ago that I had fixed the No Reverse issue in my '00 323i. The problem has returned.

I took the car in for the solenoid (Item # 4 in the parts diagram included in the original post of this thread) but the mechanic said the screen was clean and the solenoid did not need to be replaced. I'm insisting that he go in again and replace the solenoid.

THE QUESTION i CAN'T ANSWER FOR MYSELF IS ...

How come this solenoid impacts the Reverse circuits but not the Forward circuits?

I read the write-up and some of the attached links, and found out more than I ever dreamed of knowing about TCC and PWM, and how these are implemented in an automatic transmissiion. I can't follow the description of how and what the TCC/PWM is(are) doing, and the No Reverse problem that I'm having with my 5L40-E. I am not disputing what the guys that know more about this than I do, I'm only trying to connect the dots to what they say to the problem I'm having.

Clearly, I'm missiong something. Help me out, please.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #165
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
That's one of the articles that I read.

I think (and I'd appreciate a response either way -- confirm or deny) that the TCC solenoid must pull or push, depending on what it is doing, asking for forward or reverse gears. I see that the TCC is involved in Reverse, but it is also involved in Forward gear selection as well. The problem I can't get my arms around is that the TCC failure only affects Reverse gears.

This can only mean that the solenoid must activate by pulling and by pushing -- simply reversing the polarity of the electrical supply would make this possible -- and that one direction works properly while the other direction can stick intermittently causing that direction to not function.

The fluid chart on the Sonnex link is't very clear, but as far as I can see there are two passages, and one allows fluid flow to the forward gears when the plunger moves one way, and allows fluid flow to the Reverse gear when the plunger travels the other direction.

If the plunger sticks and does not allow fluid flow through the Reverse circuit, then the fix would be to replace the solenoid. But, if the trouble was the electrical signal being applied, then replacing the solenoid would not fix the problem.

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but inquiring minds gotta know.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #166
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I'm not a tranmsission guy. I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff, but I've never done hydraulics. I make basic assumptions based on mechanical logic, and the assumptions could easily be flawed as a result. I'm trying to connect the dots of what I do know with those of what I think I know, but I don't know what I don't know so the process is difficult.

I have No Reverse. Intermittently.
I had the fluid changed and _requested_ at that time to have the TCC replaced. The fluid was changed but the TCC was not. Now, I'm on the mechanic to do the job over again because he did not do the service I specifically requested, and he's giving me grief that I would want him to do something today for free that I asked him to do as a billible call a couple of months ago.

Her we are at Today
I'm facing a mechanic that says the problem is not what I've learned that it is by reading the sruff here. I believe the stuff here, and since the TCC was not replaced on request two months ago, then I want to have a better fact base to convince him that he should repeat past service for free, and only charge me for the part that I asked for the last time he did the same service. I believe I should pay for the part, indeed I insist that I pay for the part. What I don't want to pay for is the repeated labor, and I don't want the mechanic to try and convince me that the tranmission must be replaced because the fluid change that he already did didn't fix the issue.

I'm convinced that the fresh fluid helped, but since the car carries more than 9 quarts of fluid with the converter and the converter fluid isn't drained when the pan is taken off, then the car was left with partial Fresh Fluid and partial Old Fluid. The TCC worked good for a while, but the partial Old Fluid and the crap that was already blocking the TCC has simply returned. If the New Fluid also came with a new TCC, I'm convinced I would not be faicing down my mechanic today. I was expecting (even with the new TCC) that I would be facing another fluid change after several months just to dilute the fliud with as much Fresh Fluid as possible.

The trouble is, I'm not sure that I'm right and that bothers me.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #167
neil1138

If you want to convince your mechanic that the reason for your loss of reverse is somehow solenoid/valve body related, I fail to see how the sonnax article doesn't cover it to your heart's content. There is nothing I can say that the articles/links here don't say. A technical article would be better to show your mechanic than my words would be

Worst case, your entire transmission doesn't need to be replaced, your entire valve body needs to be rebuilt/replaced. Sounds like your mechanic is no good anyway... I would take it to a proper transmission shop where they can diagnose what is actually wrong within the valve body. There is no point in throwing parts at it... I would just do that instead of just replacing the solenoid and hoping it works (because it doesn't work all the time). That's the safer bet at this point.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #168
maxi

A professional mechanic can open the valve body and clean it, and can see if there is any problem with the Elec. cables.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #169
yukonrich

My Ride: 2000 328i
Sonnax for Ventura County CA?

Any Transmission place to install Sonnax in Ventura County, CA?
yukonrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #170
yener

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via MSN to yener
Question

hey guys i have a 2001 330i auto and i have a transmission code.
I checked with snap on modis it gave me the code 19
Magnetic valve shift lock
Is it the solenoid in the tranny? if it is which one?
last 7 win is FJ68995

could it be solenoid valve part no 24341423368
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=24&fg=15

and since i will open the tranny i am going to put valvoline max life, anything cheaper out there?

thanks
yener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #171
yener

Oh the car is running fine by the way, no problems I have reverse.

just the annoying tranny light is on.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #172
aluseni

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i Sedan
ok so my e46 has lost reverse and neutral turned into drive.... could a new valve body fix this issue?
aluseni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #173
maxi

a new valve body mean new trans, sence it cost $$$.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #174
yener

anyone?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #175
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
2 months ish since I did this repair, and reverse has failed 3 times in about 150 drives. If reverse doesnt work, I drive for about 5 miles normally, and reverse starts working again. 49/50 times reverse works, I can live with that for now.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #176
maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
2 months ish since I did this repair, and reverse has failed 3 times in about 150 drives. If reverse doesnt work, I drive for about 5 miles normally, and reverse starts working again. 49/50 times reverse works, I can live with that for now.
Do you feel any thing wrong with the performance? or you feel that the trans. is bugging somtime.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #177
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
Do you feel any thing wrong with the performance? or you feel that the trans. is bugging somtime.
Trans feels great, shifts great, very smooth, don't really notice it.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #178
scottrocks

My Ride: bmw e46 cic
anyone knows how much for the work? i live in la and have the same problem. thanks pm me
scottrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #179
maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
Trans feels great, shifts great, very smooth, don't really notice it.
So it's better thatn B4
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #180
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluseni View Post
ok so my e46 has lost reverse and neutral turned into drive.... could a new valve body fix this issue?
That almost sounds like shifter cable, or shifter arm on tranny. Your shift console is connected to the tranny gear selector through a cable that mounts to the side of the tranny and tells the trans which gear to engage based on selector lever input. If the cable has come loose, mount damaged or control arm damaged in some way, you could get the issue you're getting. A way to check would be to follow the cable (car jacked, Parking Brake on), and have someone go through the gears and see what the cable is doing. Shouldn't be any play or looseness when shifting..... If it's the trans itself, you've managed to strip on of the gears internally and it'll be cheaper to replace than rebuild. Hope its linkage related. You can also disconnect cable and manually go through gears and see if trans shifts into appropriate gear as you move the lever manually....
2000 Z3M

Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission