E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
zidoff

My Ride: E46
The Small Led in the "Auto" Button of the "Air Condition" is Always On.

Dear All
I have an E46 316 2001;

The Small Led in the "Auto" Button of the "Air Condition" is Always On Even When I Press it to make it Off it keeps ON consequently The air condition always runs when I start My Car with the previous settings (degree );
Therefore each time I start my car I press the controller back to Zero to Shutdown it; Which is very annoying

Does anybody faced the same problem? And what was the solution?

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Last edited by zidoff; 09-22-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling Check
zidoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
I*do*Werke

My Ride: E46 --> E30
everyones car does that. you just have to live with it
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Furball

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Yes, it is very annoying. My car started this about 4 months ago. One day it decided to just stay lit and annoy the crap out of me. Been like that ever since.
M3 front and rear bumper, AC Schnitzer rear window air dam, TEIN Basic coilovers, Meyle HD control arms and Powerflex bushings, Ground control rear shock mounts, powerflex RTAB, aFe CAI, Highline Tuning full catback exhaust, tint, 6000k HID low beams and fog lights, tinted tail lights, 6000k Angel Eyes, clear corners, LED bulbs everywhere.//Saving for 18" D-Force LTW-5 wheels.//
Furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
First of all, the auto button has nothing to do with the A/C. It only takes control of the fan and vent selection. The snowflake button or defrost button are the only things that turn the A/C on or off.

To turn it off you just have to push one of the vent buttons (windshield, main vents, or floor vents).

You need to read the manual.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
No, my car doesn't do that, the AUTO button is on only if previously was set to on, if it was off before then when you start the car it will remain off, also same thing to the air condition, the A/C stays on or off depending on the previous settings. However; the fan is always on at the previous set level except that it will stay on at lowest level if previously was set to off.

Last edited by taibinhvuong; 09-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Automatic air distribution and
supply

The AUTO program adjusts the
air distribution and the air supply
for you and in addition adapts the
temperature to external influences
summer, winter to meet preferences
you can specify.

Individual air distribution
You can cancel the AUTO program
by selecting specific distribution
patterns to suit your
own individual requirements.
While the AUTO program is then deactivated,
the automatic airflow control
remains in operation. Air flows onto the
windows , toward the upper
body , and into the footwell .
You can reactivate the automatic air
distribution mode by selecting the
AUTO button.

Air supply/Blower

By pressing the upper or lower
button, you can vary the air supply.
This deactivates the automatic
control of the air supply, AUTO
disappears from the display panel. Nevertheless,
the automatic air distribution
remains unchanged. You can reactivate
the automatic air distribution mode by
selecting the AUTO button.
When the lowest blower speed is set
and you press the lower button, all of
the displays are canceled: the blower,
heating and air conditioning are
switched off. The outside air supply is
blocked. You can reactivate the system
by pressing any button for the automatic
climate control.

Read first, post later.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
zidoff

The Air conditioner in my BMW is going fast like invoking the button of "defrost the windshield and side windows", is it a normal behavior of there's some settings to adjust?

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Last edited by zidoff; 07-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by I*do*Werke View Post

not mine chooch

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
The LED means that car is automatically selecting which vents to direct the air to. If you manually select the vents (windshield, face, floor, or any combination of the 3), then the LED will turn off.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by I*do*Werke View Post

not mine chooch

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by zidoff View Post
The Air conditioner in my BMW is going fast like invoking the button of "defrost the windshield and side windows", is it a normal behavior of there's some settings to adjust?

Thanks In Advance

Regards
Sounds like fsr issue. Unless, you're on auto setting and air, in which case if the car is hot, it will crank up the speed of the fan automatically...but I gather that's not your issue.

Can you get the fan to go at slower speeds if you turn AC off...or, say, turn heater on?

If you've lost control of fan speed, that's seemingly always an fsr issue. Search FSR...final stage resistor.

BTW, Solidjake just posted a vid diy on this. I don't know how, but he got Marissa Tomei to get on her knees and replace that sucker in like 20 mins...for me, best diy vid of all time!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
zidoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
The LED means that car is automatically selecting which vents to direct the air to. If you manually select the vents (windshield, face, floor, or any combination of the 3), then the LED will turn off.
Thanks TeaaPhantm, it was useful information's.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
zidoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Sounds like fsr issue. Unless, you're on auto setting and air, in which case if the car is hot, it will crank up the speed of the fan automatically...but I gather that's not your issue.

Can you get the fan to go at slower speeds if you turn AC off...or, say, turn heater on?

If you've lost control of fan speed, that's seemingly always an fsr issue. Search FSR...final stage resistor.

BTW, Solidjake just posted a vid diy on this. I don't know how, but he got Marissa Tomei to get on her knees and replace that sucker in like 20 mins...for me, best diy vid of all time!
I didn't face that in Winter, I'm facing this issue right now during Summer time where the temperature is around 35 degree Celsius. But It's bothering me since I open the window and then i feel like hot air coming from inside the car so I turn off the air conditions by increasing the speed to the minimum.

Regards
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by zidoff View Post
I didn't face that in Winter, I'm facing this issue right now during Summer time where the temperature is around 35 degree Celsius. But It's bothering me since I open the window and then i feel like hot air coming from inside the car so I turn off the air conditions by increasing the speed to the minimum.

Regards
No, I meant that if it's on auto, it will ramp up the speed of the fan to cool down the 'hot interior' of your car.

If you select one of the manual vent locations, the auto setting will go off and you'll have manual control of your fan as well. I never use the auto setting myself and the high fan speed annoys me!

Forget the fsr stuff I mentioned; I misunderstood your post. Sorry!

I'm picking up an accent from you...hmmm, Italy? Croatia? Perhaps something in our Baltic States?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote