E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
love dodge

My Ride: soon m3
The R/T button on steering wheel doesnt work

Yes as the title says:My R/T button on the steering wheel does nothing when i press it...What this thing suppose to do?I have a 03 m3 btw.
I think is the mode button but im not sure....thanks a lot
love dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
You probably don't have the bluetooth kit installed in the car, or your phone is not properly paired. Check your trunk (left side behind carpet kit) to make sure you have a ULF.

Looks like this:

Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
It displays the phonebook on the radio display if you have bluetooth.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
UTL1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
It displays the phonebook on the radio display if you have bluetooth.
That's assuming his phone is properly paired. Doesn't seem like that's the case.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
That's assuming his phone is properly paired. Doesn't seem like that's the case.
Correct.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
trudnick

My Ride: 2005 M3
The pairing code can be found on the Bluetooth unit itself (there's a couple stickers on the unit you can easily remove, I took one and placed it inside my user manual in the glovebox for future reference). You have to remove the left (driver's side) trunk lining to get to the unit.
Good luck.

2005 BMW ///M3 / Carbon Black / Black Leather / 6MT
OEM BMW Performance Short Shift Kit, Illuminated ZHP Knob, XM Direct, DICE iPod, Color Matched Reflectors, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.
trudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
sahib

My Ride: Carbon/Cinnamon///M3
i have a r/t button but no bluetooth...how would i go about getting one?
sahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
2003 bmw m3

My Ride: 2003 M3 tiag vert
yeah i have the r/t button and i look at my trunk and it says that im prewired for bluetooth and oem alarm but i don't have any of these things yet just prewired
2003 bmw m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
UTL1098

You will need to purchase a BMW bluetooth kit. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...oth-Phone-Kit/
Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
trudnick

Call your local dealer and get the correct part number for the BT module for your model year and then give Tischer a call, odds are Tischer will have the best pricing for any OEM part. I believe the OEM BT part number is 84216958358, but this varies depending on the year. Install is a no brainer.

OEM BMW Performance Short Shift Kit, Illuminated ZHP Knob, XM Direct, DICE iPod, Color Matched Reflectors, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
love dodge

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
You probably don't have the bluetooth kit installed in the car, or your phone is not properly paired. Check your trunk (left side behind carpet kit) to make sure you have a ULF.

Looks like this:

that's right I don't have the Bluetooth kit.But I do have the little talking face on the steering wheel plus the R/T button.I was checking on the manual and it says that the R/T button is the MODE button, meaning u can switch between CD and Radio(on my case).That's true?If it is something is wrong with my button because when I press it doesn't do anything.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
trudnick

R/T = Radio Mode / Telephone Mode. It's not wired to switch between the cd and radio. If you don't have Bluetooth the R/T button does nothing.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
WytLytnyn

My Ride: 2005 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudnick View Post
The pairing code can be found on the Bluetooth unit itself (there's a couple stickers on the unit you can easily remove, I took one and placed it inside my user manual in the glovebox for future reference). You have to remove the left (driver's side) trunk lining to get to the unit.
Good luck.
Ironically, when I first got my car, I went to the dealer because I was erroneously told that they would have to do something in order for it to be paired. The service advisor kept telling me that the code was the last five numbers of the VIN! After that didn't work and no one in the service department had a clue, I laid rubber out of the place and never went back.

Since one of my friends works at BSW, I called him and he told me to pull back the liner and look at the code on the unit. Worked like a champ.

So that was the last time I ever go to a dealer for anything....
WytLytnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
love dodge

Quote:
R/T = Radio Mode / Telephone Mode. It's not wired to switch between the cd and radio. If you don't have Bluetooth the R/T button does nothing.
Makes sense....
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
love dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WytLytnyn View Post
Ironically, when I first got my car, I went to the dealer because I was erroneously told that they would have to do something in order for it to be paired. The service advisor kept telling me that the code was the last five numbers of the VIN! After that didn't work and no one in the service department had a clue, I laid rubber out of the place and never went back.

Since one of my friends works at BSW, I called him and he told me to pull back the liner and look at the code on the unit. Worked like a champ.

So that was the last time I ever go to a dealer for anything....
Wait a minute here....If i have the bluetooth kit when i press the button it should at least "say" anything...right?I dont understand this stuff man...im confused
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Call your local dealer and get the correct part number for the BT module for your model year and send Tischer an email, odds are Tischer will have the best pricing for any OEM part. I believe the OEM BT part number is 84216958358, but this varies depending on the year. Install is a no brainer.
fixed...send an email to bmwpartsdepot@mileone.com
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
That's correct, if you have bluetooth you press the R/T button to end the call.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
WytLytnyn

My Ride: 2005 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by love dodge View Post
Wait a minute here....If i have the bluetooth kit when i press the button it should at least "say" anything...right?I dont understand this stuff man...im confused
Hold the button down for several seconds and there will be a loud beep with a guy's voice asking for your command.

At that point, you can ask for it to:

1) You can "Save Name" by which you record a name and save it then save the digits.
2) "Dial Name" (after you've saved a name in the system - after you've paired the phone with the car). It will ask you to verify the name and then call them.
3) "Dial Number" - you can read off the digits and it will call. The system always says "Continue?" after you've stopped speaking. At that point you respond, "Dial".
4) You can have it "Read Phonebook" by which it goes through all the names that you've saved. You can also "Clear Phonebook" to reload the contacts that you want.

Those are all the commands I know. I believe that some of the other car systems can also control the NAV system, but I might be wrong.

For some reason, there is a massive discrepancy between the volume of the local system (beep, voice) and the volume of remote callers/receivers in my car. Always catches me off guard!

I was kinda hoping that I could get the BT reprogrammed with the voice of Madeline Kahn's character, "Lilly Von Stupp" from Blazing Saddles!
WytLytnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by love dodge View Post
To learn more about OEM bluetooth and BMW E46 cars start by reading this post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=18

And then this one is good:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=230898
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
jbcritch

My Ride: 2005 Steel Blue 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
That's correct, if you have bluetooth you press the R/T button to end the call.
That's odd. I press the "talking man" button to make and end calls. I only use R/T to toggle between the Radio and Telephone.
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint....for now.
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote