E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
06///m3

My Ride: 2006 bmw m3
Which rifle to buy...

Looking to buy a rifle and looking at the following two rifle.

Both of them are 5.56 nato caliber the most common ammo. Also they can shoot .223 rem ammo too

1) daniel defense lightweight 16 inch
2) This is bcm eag 14.5 carbine

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396677344817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	552728   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396677370012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	552729  
06///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
2001m3e46

Bro this is a m3 forum..?

2001m3e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
gigikabmwm3

My Ride: bmw
buy this

gigikabmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
06BMWM3

My Ride: 06 BMW M3
Just buy both

Sent from BimmerApp mobile
06BMWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
#2 is a Class III SBR. You aren't going to just drop by and pick one up.

Last edited by Alan; 04-05-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
madbouncy

My Ride: rx7
Which rifle to buy...

As long as the flash suppressor puts it to 16" and it's pinned not screw on you're still legal.

I'd buy the one with the better trigger feel.

Last edited by madbouncy; 04-05-2014 at 07:55 PM.
madbouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6spd
Clearly he needs this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	552909
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
#2 is a Class III SBR. You aren't going to just drop by and pick one up.
ehh looks like a pinned bcm mod 1 comp...so it wouldn't be an SBR. If it's unpinned it's an SBR but can be pinned easily and made non nfa.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
EAG carbine is a 14.5" pinned/welded non-NFA rifle. It's not an SBR.
Given that the OP lives in California, it would be wise to look up the laws regarding what parts can and cannot be had. Both of those rifles pictures have flash hiders. If you need it permanently affixed, the EAG is the one to get. I would recommend buying a specific California-legal rifle. If those rifles are already in circulation in California, then you may be okay.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
06///m3

I am leaning toward the DD. It's not as heavy as the bcm even though it's shorter. Plus the DD is reliable and easy to shoot.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
check your state laws, like Reedo said. Both appear to have pistol grips, collapsible stocks, flash suppressors, and removable magazines, which could make them both nono assault weapons.

Both will be reliable and easy to shoot, though.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
What weight you lose on the lightweight DD barrel you make up for on the added 3" of rail length. In the end, the weight will be about equal to the BCM EAG carbine. Tangibly, you won't notice a difference.
In terms of reliability, they're basically Honda vs Toyota. Both are ridiculously reliable and made from top quality components. They are both literally at the top of the rifle hierarchy in that respect. One thing I will say is that if you are looking for a softer, smoother shooting rifle, you should look at a midlength gas system like with the BCM EAG. The DD model is a shorter carbine length gas system that is more "abrupt" and pounds the internals a wee bit harder. DD does make several midlength models, as does BCM. Both also make carbine length models.
You're definitely on the right track, but seriously make sure you get what is legal in your gun-hating state. What most of us in Free America can buy and own, you can't.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #14
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
Primaryarms.com has a crazy deal on dd rifles right now
I had an m4v3 but sold it before I ever shot it. It was top notch stuff and I wish I didn't have to sell it but it was one of my panic buys.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 AM   #15
06///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
What weight you lose on the lightweight DD barrel you make up for on the added 3" of rail length. In the end, the weight will be about equal to the BCM EAG carbine. Tangibly, you won't notice a difference.
In terms of reliability, they're basically Honda vs Toyota. Both are ridiculously reliable and made from top quality components. They are both literally at the top of the rifle hierarchy in that respect. One thing I will say is that if you are looking for a softer, smoother shooting rifle, you should look at a midlength gas system like with the BCM EAG. The DD model is a shorter carbine length gas system that is more "abrupt" and pounds the internals a wee bit harder. DD does make several midlength models, as does BCM. Both also make carbine length models.
You're definitely on the right track, but seriously make sure you get what is legal in your gun-hating state. What most of us in Free America can buy and own, you can't.
Thank you for the info. Even though I am leaning towards one rifle I'm still doing my due diligence. On one hand I've been told there's always loopholes to get around these laws. On the other hand I don't want to get stuck with a rifle I can't even use. DAMN CA!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06///m3 View Post
Thank you for the info. Even though I am leaning towards one rifle I'm still doing my due diligence. On one hand I've been told there's always loopholes to get around these laws. On the other hand I don't want to get stuck with a rifle I can't even use. DAMN CA!!!

I don't think you will have to worry about getting stuck with one that you can't use. Most vendors will not ship an "evil" rifle to you.

Daniel Defense and BCM are both top tier companies, and you can't go wrong with either choice. I own several BCM ARs, and they have never let me down. I can't personally speak for Daniel Defense, but I have never seen one fail in a class.

Ultimately it will come down to the features that are allowable by your communist state and what is available for purchase at the time.