E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
9mm Glock Magazines

I'm curious to know if anyone owns a 9mm Glock magazine (doesn't need to be a factory Glock mag) that has a follower that rides all the way to the top of the feed lips like the mag on the left of this picture?

Every mag that I have has a gap like the one in the right of the picture. In fact, there is a projection on the inside that appears to act as a stop on all of them.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
WinterBeemer

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
I'll check, but my Glock 43 is a single stack mag...Not sure if it'll make difference.
WinterBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
WinterBeemer

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
FYI: All four of my Glock 43 mags have no gap.
WinterBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Thank you for checking!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Gaps here.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Thanks Joe!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Looks like the older 2183 follower that had issues with last round FTF.
Glock was replacing them for free with the 9mm3
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #8
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Mine all have the gap
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Looks like the older 2183 follower that had issues with last round FTF.
Glock was replacing them for free with the 9mm3
All of my magazines but one are using the revision 6, the one is using revision 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Mine all have the gap
Thanks for checking!

I'm having issues with the bolt locking back after the last round on the new UDP-9. I performed an initial function test at the range using about 500 rounds of ammunition to ensure that everything worked appropriately before sending off my Form 1. Other than a few failure to feeds in the first 30 rounds (which I'm attributing to initial break in) it ran flawless except for the bolt lock back. While performing the initial ammunition test, I labeled each magazine with the brand of ammo that was loaded. After the UDP-9 successfully fed and fired each brand, I just loaded them randomly. Throughout the test, the bolt only locked back a few times (I don't have an exact count). Eventually I was more surprised when it did lock back. There was no discernible pattern as to the type of magazine that was in the firearm when it did lock back. When I returned home I decided to do some more testing. I laid out the same (empty) magazines on the floor, inserted a magazine, and manually charged the gun. I found that I had to be very deliberate in pulling the charging handle firmly and bottoming it out in order for the bolt to lock back. If the charging handle was not brought fully and deliberately to the rear, then the bolt did not lock.

Tested with the following magazines
Three ETS 31 Round (brand new)
One Factory Glock 33 Round Gen 3
Two Factory Glock 17 Round Gen 3
Two Factory Glock 15 Round Gen 3

Ammunition Used
Magtech 115g
Blazer Brass 115g
Fiocchi 115g
Remington 115g
Freedom Munitions (new) 115g
American Eagle 147g

Their initial response was that the bolt held open on the last round with all of their mags that they tested, except the one on the right in the first picture (that's their picture). They said they opened it up, cleaned it, and stretched the spring a bit and the follower now rides all the way to the top of the feed ramp with no gap like the one on the left.

The problem here is that I have yet to find anyone that has a factory Glock magazine with a follower that rides all the way to the top and has no gap like they are describing. Additionally, I think the magazines in his picture look a little different than mine, they don't appear to have the square relief cut just above my thumb in the second picture. Every one of my mags, and a gen 2 and gen 4 that I've looked at have that relief. I replied to their email with the second picture and that all of my magazines are like that.

Because I can get the bolt to lock back by manually cycling the charging handle all the way to the back, my thought is that the bolt is not travelling all the way back in order to engage the bolt lock. Ordinarily I would think a lighter buffer/spring combination may be a fix, but I'm not familiar enough with a blowback style AR system to know for sure. The gun is still with them, and I'm waiting for a response today.

Thanks again for checking your mags, I appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
the two I pulled have gaps.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI on a BMW board since 2005.

2016 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
the two I pulled have gaps.
Thank you.

Update: the owner emailed me back and apologized for the confusion. He somehow transposed/flipped/reversed the image in Photoshop. All of his magazines look like mine.

So now I'm back to thinking this is a buffer/spring/ammo issue. He stated that all of their testing was done with Winchester White Box, and when I looked it up that ammo it seems to run hotter than the ammo that I used in my testing. If there were a few hot rounds in the batches that I tested, that would explain why the bolt locked back a few times. They offered to pay to have me ship them a few of my magazines, and I agreed but also asked if they used any different ammo for testing. I hope to speak with them this morning.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Well another update on the UDP-9. They further tested the gun and sent it to their smith that determined that the lower was out of spec and they issued a complete replacement firearm that I received last week. I took it back to the range and tested it with 300 rounds of 115g FMJ Remington, Blazer Brass, Freedom Munitions (new), and Magtech in three ETS 31 round mags, three Glock factor 17 round mags, and two Glock factory 15 round mags.

The results were much better with the replacement. It locked the bolt back most of the time (if I had to estimate I would say 90%) with the Glock magazines, but rarely with the ETS. I could not come to a conclusion at the range as to why it would sometimes not lock back as it happened with each of the four different brands of ammunition and at least once with each of the factory Glock magazines. At this point I would say that it's not reliable enough to go through the process to SBR it and to use in classes or for home defense.

I spent some time really studying the way that the bolt lock works, even manually removing the last round from the magazine (simulating the bolt feeding) and found that the followers sometimes tilted forward a bit and did not fully engage the bar that is connected to the bolt lock.

I ordered new Wolff +10% Glock 17 and 19 magazine springs that should arrive on Thursday. I'm going to replace the springs in the same magazines that I used to test it and then take it out on Friday to test again. My magazines have been cycled quite a bit, so it's possible that the springs have weakened to the point that they may not always push the follower all the way up. It wouldn't be an issue in a pistol, but may be just enough in the AR.

Public service announcement: This is why you should thoroughly test any firearm that you plan to SBR!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Well another update on the UDP-9. They further tested the gun and sent it to their smith that determined that the lower was out of spec and they issued a complete replacement firearm that I received last week. I took it back to the range and tested it with 300 rounds of 115g FMJ Remington, Blazer Brass, Freedom Munitions (new), and Magtech in three ETS 31 round mags, three Glock factor 17 round mags, and two Glock factory 15 round mags.

The results were much better with the replacement. It locked the bolt back most of the time (if I had to estimate I would say 90%) with the Glock magazines, but rarely with the ETS. I could not come to a conclusion at the range as to why it would sometimes not lock back as it happened with each of the four different brands of ammunition and at least once with each of the factory Glock magazines. At this point I would say that it's not reliable enough to go through the process to SBR it and to use in classes or for home defense.

I spent some time really studying the way that the bolt lock works, even manually removing the last round from the magazine (simulating the bolt feeding) and found that the followers sometimes tilted forward a bit and did not fully engage the bar that is connected to the bolt lock.

I ordered new Wolff +10% Glock 17 and 19 magazine springs that should arrive on Thursday. I'm going to replace the springs in the same magazines that I used to test it and then take it out on Friday to test again. My magazines have been cycled quite a bit, so it's possible that the springs have weakened to the point that they may not always push the follower all the way up. It wouldn't be an issue in a pistol, but may be just enough in the AR.

Public service announcement: This is why you should thoroughly test any firearm that you plan to SBR!
Good info to share, but sorry for the trials. Sounds like there is reason to be hopeful for the new springs to make the difference.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 12-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm not entirely surprised, as I'm trying out a completely new system. If it works it will be an amazingly fun and useful firearm, especially suppressed!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Reedo302

Sage words of advice. Always test shit. Thanks for the info on the UDP-9.

If you ever are looking for higher-cap mags, take a look at the Magpul GL9 21rd mags. I have been using them for a couple months now on duty. In training they've been excellent. The springs are strong and feed reliably, but you can actually fully load the mag without breaking your thumb or needing to use speedloader/mag assist. They're also $19 a pop.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-14-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Original Glock spring vs Wolff spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	647191  
Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Sage words of advice. Always test shit. Thanks for the info on the UDP-9.

If you ever are looking for higher-cap mags, take a look at the Magpul GL9 21rd mags. I have been using them for a couple months now on duty. In training they've been excellent. The springs are strong and feed reliably, but you can actually fully load the mag without breaking your thumb or needing to use speedloader/mag assist. They're also $19 a pop.
I was going to order their new 27 rounders, then I read that Angstadt specifically says not to use them.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #18
MP0WER

Quote:
Wow.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #19
Reedo302

Quote:
I had this same problem with my duty Gen3 G22 at my last department. Glock uses shlt mag springs. They always have. It's fine for the 9mm, but they use the same spring for the .40S&W. The mag spring is about 1/3 of the issue as to why the Gen3 G22 has malfunctions with a WML attached (17lb recoil spring being the other 2/3 of the problem).
When I replaced my springs with Wolff springs, it was night and day difference in feeding.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #20
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I put another 250 rounds through it today, 2-3 rounds at a time, so I would empty the mag each time. I used six different mags with the Wolff springs. It locked the bolt back every time.