E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #981
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The 887 is completely clad in polymer. It's basically an 870 with a polymer coating. The advantage is weather resistance and durability in harsh conditions. The disadvantage is the excess weight and bulk.

Frankly, if you're looking for an HD shotgun, the Express is perfectly fine. The 887 is not worth it IMO. You won't see a difference in quality until you step up to the 870 Police Magnum models, which hover in the $600 range.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #982
Reedo302

Word around the campfire is that the Glock 43 is going to be a 9mm single stack in the G42 frame. Rumored to be out by Christmas 2014. We'll see if this holds true or not. I'm guessing not, but you never know...

Glock Armorer

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #983
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
That'd be sexy. My wife's hands are too small to comfortably fit around my Glock 19.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #984
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Word around the campfire is that the Glock 43 is going to be a 9mm single stack in the G42 frame. Rumored to be out by Christmas 2014. We'll see if this holds true or not. I'm guessing not, but you never know...
Haha that would really piss some g42 buyers off

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #985
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
Sigh. This is basically the gun I'd been waiting for, for over a decade. A 9mm Glock 36.

This past weekend I just gave up waiting and purchased an XDS. Really happy with it so far.

Devious21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #986
Reedo302

Everybody has been waiting for it. Glock said they were going to do it back in 2009. Here we are 5 years later and we're still waiting. It's pretty ridiculous, which is why I have zero faith in this being a reliable timeline.

I bet some G42s will be up for sale pretty quick if the G43 comes out in single-stack 9mm. I have zero sympathy for anyone who bought a .380 the size of a 9mm Shield. Makes zero sense to me. Zero.

Glock Armorer

Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #987
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I've heard rumblings of this before and I guess it sort of makes sense (for Glock). If they released the 9mm first, no one would buy the 380s.

1) Sell a sh!tload of 380s to folks who'll buy anything Glock
2) Use owners as De Facto Beta testers and use feedback to work out kinks in the frame
3) Release a near perfect 9mm, with most of the bugs worked out (Thanks in part to said testers)
4) Profit

Last edited by Ghostie; 07-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #988
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
That'd be sexy. My wife's hands are too small to comfortably fit around my Glock 19.
giggity

If glock had had a single-stack SC 9mm out, I would have never bought my Nano. As much as I like it, I still prefer the feel of a glock. The Nano, though, has kind of been relegated to safe duty since my wife bought be the XDs .45, though. I prefer the feel of the Nano for carrying, even though the XDs is only about an inch longer, and the same width and height, but I really prefer the way the XDs shoots, which is kind of the important part.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #989
NOVAbimmer

Random Gun talk Thread..

Stopped by the LGS to talk about price on an FNX tactical 45, they wouldn't budge below their $1350. I asked if they could get down to $1100, which is what I'd pay for one online, including transfer fees and shipping, they weren't having it. So I guess if I want it, I'll just order it.

Edit: I'll probably just transfer it to a different shop. I'll drive a bit further for a shop with better service. Every time I walk in there I'm less and less impressed with them.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 07-30-2014 at 03:35 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #990
Reedo302

Pretty much all of my firearms purchases are done online now. Nobody sells locally for a competitive price anymore.

Glock Armorer

Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #991
NOVAbimmer

yeah, I'd love to be able to support a local business, but if they're unwilling/unable to work at a decent price, I'm not giving them $300 extra just to support their brick and mortar.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #992
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Any recommendations for a 1911 in the $550-650 range? I'm open to other similar suggestions as well. Long story short is my dad purchased a gun the year I was born that I inherited. With the upcoming birth of our first son I'm looking to do the same thing. Thanks!

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #993
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Any recommendations for a 1911 in the $550-650 range? I'm open to other similar suggestions as well. Long story short is my dad purchased a gun the year I was born that I inherited. With the upcoming birth of our first son I'm looking to do the same thing. Thanks!
You're going to need to spend more if you want something worth owning, especially a piece to pass along to your son.

If budget can't climb much higher, I'd maybe look at a revolver...would be a cool piece to inherit as well.

JMHO.

I'm sure others will chime in with specifics on the 1911 front, but it seems like $850-1000 is minimum for a piece worth owning.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #994
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
You're going to need to spend more if you want something worth owning, especially a piece to pass along to your son.

If budget can't climb much higher, I'd maybe look at a revolver...would be a cool piece to inherit as well.

JMHO.

I'm sure others will chime in with specifics on the 1911 front, but it seems like $850-1000 is minimum for a piece worth owning.
I've handled Springfields in that price range that seem nice

I don't know much about 1911's so maybe I'm off base.

For reference I inherited a Browning High Power. Not a Grail gun by any means, but still nice.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #995
Bimmed

My Ride: 335i e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Get a preowned springfield or colt

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Bimmed; 08-03-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Bimmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #996
Reedo302

A guy over on Bimmerforums just received his backordered shipment of 2 cases (2k rounds) of .45ACP ammo from Freedom Munitions. The first three rounds were squibs. FYI about another company you should watch out for.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #997
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
A guy over on Bimmerforums just received his backordered shipment of 2 cases (2k rounds) of .45ACP ammo from Freedom Munitions. The first three rounds were squibs. FYI about another company you should watch out for.
I just bought 500rnds of 9mm from them

Guess we'll see how that goes.

Devious21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #998
Reedo302

Pay attention while shooting. Anything doesn't feel right, stop shooting and field strip the gun to check for a stuck bullet. Hopefully it was a fluke, or only related to .45ACP

Glock Armorer

Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #999
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Were they reloads or new? Freedom Ammunitions sells both, and that's certainly an important distinction.

Last edited by Serbonze; 08-05-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #1000
Reedo302

In a conversation in another forum, a member asked about getting an ACOG. This is what I had to say, in case anyone here is looking at getting an ACOG in the future.

I ran a TA-01 in Iraq from '03-04 as a DM. The ACOG is an insanely overbuilt optic that can take a pounding, and the optical quality is exceptional. For what I used it for in open terrain, it was a fantastic optic. Having said that, I have some observations:
-the optic has terrible eye relief, even with the "extended" eye relief of the TA-11 model
-The optic has infinite focus, which is why the eye relief sucks
-the infinite focus requires your eye to adjust itself to bring the target into focus. This is fine for short-term use, but long term use in an overwatch position leads to rapid eye strain, which causes fatigue and headaches.
-the single-illuminated models (tritium) are very slow at close range
-all models (except the LED model) have horrible washout in varying light conditions, especially at twilight, but also when in a dark area like the inside of a building looking outside where it's bright, or being in the dark and aiming to an area under a street light
-The expense is tremendous
-Tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years from activation, and by the time you as the consumer buy the optic, you are about a year behind that. The tritium really is only usable for about 8-10 years, though. Tritium replacement in an ACOG costs about $400.
-The dual-illuminated BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) does allow rapid use in CQB when using binocular vision. That said, they're by no means as simple and easy as a red dot, or a true-1x variable power scope.

When I got back from Iraq, we wound up stack-mounting a mini RDS on the ocular with the Trijicon adapter. The optic was exceptionally quick in CQB again. The problem with that was that the optic mechanical offset was around 4" above the boreline, so holding for offset at close range was a necessity and more difficult than just a standard RDS mounted to the receiver. If you run an RDS with the ACOG, it's best to run an offset RTOS (rapid transition optical sight) mounted at the 45* angle.

Having looked for alternatives to the ACOG, I learned that the newest TA648 6x48 models are probably the best for what the ACOG was designed for. Unfortunately they're very large, very heavy and very expensive. If you want a fixed-power combat optic, the Leupold HAMR is a superior optic in every way. The glass is as good or better than the ACOG, the illumination is battery powered so that it's adjustable to avoid washout, the BDC is accurate, it has a lot longer eye relief, and the ocular piece can be focused manually. The design integration with the DeltaPoint is also very good.

If you have the money for an ACOG, save up a little bit more and get the VCOG 1-6x. Otherwise, invest in another 1-4x, 1-5x or 1-6x variable power rifle scope with a true-1x and daylight visible illumination. The Leupold VX-6 1-6x MultiGun is a phenomenal sub-$1k option, and you can use the reticle to set up a drop chart. The Vortex Razor HD Gen-II 1-6x is also getting rave reviews. That one's comparable in price to an ACOG. There are other options as well, including the upcoming release of the Steiner T5Xi 1-5x, and numerous 1-4x options. All are more utilitarian for use overall.
Keep in mind that the ACOG was first introduced in 1987, and dual-illuminated BAC models came out in 1992. You're dealing with tech that is 2 decades old in an environment that is rapidly developing new technology at an exponential rate. The ACOG still does what it needs to, but it's antiquated technology and there are better options available. This is evideced by Trijicon developing the VCOG.

Glock Armorer

Tags
guns, poosay magnets, random, talk