E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #121
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Wow, just put together my latest TO BUY list. This is going to get expensive...

1. 11.5" AR carbine (current LaRue/DD/VLTOR build)
2. Glock Gen4 17 (will buy sometime this summer)
3. Accuracy International AE MkII (hopefully will own by fall 2011)
4. FNH SCAR-17S (2012 purchase)
5. Beretta Ultralight O/U 12ga (2012 purchase)
6. Glock Gen4 21 (2012 purchase)

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #122
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
I want, I want, I want, I want....

My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #123
Reedo302

Did you see the recent Tactical Arms episode where Larry Vickers talked about the FAL and the advancements DSA made to make their FAL-SA58 rifles more reliable and durable. Very interesting, and it convinced me that if I ever get a FAL, I need to get a DSA. A long ways out for me for sure, as the SCAR-17S comes first, but I wouldn't mind getting a FAL like that at some point.

Glock Armorer

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #124
shwagon

^ I haven't seen the episode, do have any recommendations on watching these types of things online? Just took a quick look at DSA's website, man they make some sick looking guns!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #125
Reedo302

Some clips are here, but they don't give you much. No FAL portions on there yet, though.
http://tacticalarms.tv/

There's some stuff on YouTube, but not much.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #126
Reedo302

Well, I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but I just may buy an AK. Trying to decide which one to buy, and which caliber- 7.62 or 5.45... It's going to be a training rifle, not a SHTF rifle. I want to learn the AK to be able to compare it to the AR for training purposes. Additionally, if I ever get this training idea off the ground, it would be prudent for me to know the ins and outs of the AKs.

Ideally, I want the ARSENAL/Saiga SGL-21 (7.62x39) or SGL-31 (5.45x39), but it's going to cost me $700-800 for the rifle, and I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a rifle I will basically be beating the living shit out of.

Are the WASR rifles still having issues? Or have they gotten any better? Anyone?
Also, does anyone know if the 5.45x39 loads cycle through the same mags as the 7.62x39, or are they different mags? I would think they're similar.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 03-02-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #127
shwagon

Got'a go with the 7.62 with an AK, just run a bunch of russian steel through it to save money, thats what their built for right
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #128
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
Got'a go with the 7.62 with an AK, just run a bunch of russian steel through it to save money, thats what their built for right
Yeah, no use in shooting good ammo through those things, that's for sure. I'm most likely going to get the 7.62x39 version. Just don't know which one.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #129
Reedo302

Just had a discussion with a guy about 1911s. Guy didn't know if he wanted one, and if so, which to get. The best advice I can give for 1911s is from Larry A Vickers and Hilton Yam:

Larry Vickers:

"How do I know if a 1911 is the right choice for me? That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock."

Hilton Yam:

"For a dedicated and knowledgeable end user, the 1911 has no equal. For non-dedicated personnel, they are better served by a modern, low maintenance weapon such as a Glock, SIG, or HK."

Glock Armorer

Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #130
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
bring this thread back to life before I just start a new one haha.

Just ordered my sig p226 dark elite. I have 5-6 weeks before it gets here and want to stockpile some ammo and accessories before it gets here.

1. Good "cheap" light/laser for the front rail. What are some good options?

2. best place to buy mags online?

3. Good ear/eye protection recommendations?

4. Good place to buy a range bag from?

5. Good lube/cleaning kit
TIA

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 05-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #131
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post

Just ordered my sig p226 dark elite. I have 5-6 weeks before it gets here and want to stockpile some ammo and accessories before it gets here.

TIA
1. The best overall value for a weapon-mounted light is a Streamlight TLR-1S. The -1S is available for under $100. The SureFire X300 is also fantastic, but it costs $249. The only difference is that the SureFire is waterproof to diving depths and has 10 lumens more illumination power. If you want a laser, I would recommend that you look into Crimson Trace grips as opposed to a laser/light combo. Laser/Light combos typically won't fit into most holsters. However, understand that lasers on full-size handguns are basically worthless because they cause you to not use your sights and lose focus of your target, and instead you just "watch the dot". They're much more applicable to pocket revolvers and micro-pistols that have minimalist notch sights.

2. Buying mags is subjective to what you're looking for, but I always recommend RainierArms.com. Look into the Magpul PMAG or the new generation Lancer L5 AWM. The TangoDown ARC mags are good too, but they don't fit very well in magazine pouches because they're too bulky. After T&Eing them, I'm overall not very impressed with them. I had a lot of issues pulling them out of pouches during high-speed combat reload scenarios. A new mag out is the Troy Industries BattleMag. It's a good design and pretty simplistic; KISS principle. You can buy a 3-Pack from TroyInd.com for $42.

3. How much do you want to spend? I would recommend TCI HEDPs/MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic ear phones, but they're $279. Well worth it, and they're what I use and they're phenomenal, but for the average person they're overkill. For electronic muffs, look into the Peltor Tactical Sports. For eye pro, I prefer Oakley, but if you don't want to spend that much, look into Revision Eyewear. Crap eyewear is cloudy and scratches easily from stuff as soft as cotton balls (seriously). Good eyewear is very clear, strong, durable and does not scratch very easily.

4. Again, how much do you want to spend? MidwayUSA has some decent bags for dirt cheap, as does Cheaperthandirt.com. However, higher quality bags go a long way. 5.11 makes some nice bags, as does Maxpedition.

5. Look into the Otis general pistol cleaning kit. It's got everything you need for a starter setup in one handy little travel kit. Pistols don't require very much maintenance. All you need to do is clean out the chamber and along the slide rails. Once those are clear, it's up to you how much more spic-and-span you want your gun. Slip2000 lube is the best, and their cleaning products are by far superior to everything I've ever seen. However, a bottle of Militec-1 lube is also pretty good and is commercially available in most places. Just understand that Breakfree CLP is crap, and you can't use WD-40.

Some others might have different suggestions. This is just what I personally recommend.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 05-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #132
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:

TIA
1. I have no idea. I used to use a TRL-2 on my PX4, but I sold it because I used my Glock as my HD gun and have the Glock laser/light combo. I did really like it though.

2. If I'm not mistaken, the Sig p226 is a pistol, so I think Reed might be smoking a little crack right now while recommending Pmags and Troy Battlemags. He's usually really good with recommendations though, so we can give him pass on this one. CDNN usually has some pretty good deals on magazines.

3. I picked up a pair of Rudy Project glasses, and they were covered by my vision insurance. I love them. http://www.e-rudy.com/search_results...arch1=shooting They come with Photochromic lenses so they will turn into sunglasses in UV light.
I use these for hearing: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...6530319&sr=1-1 and I sometimes combine them with these for indoor ranges: http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Defen...6530855&sr=1-9

4. How much stuff do you want to put in the range bag, and what is your budget? I have this for when I'm bringing multiple guns, and it's packed for a B-O-B as well. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...Ready-Bag.html. Otherwise, I usually use this: http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

5. Reed's recommendation is a good one, but you can even go to Dick's sporting good store and pick up a basic kit.

Last edited by Serbonze; 05-27-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #133
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Lots to look at and some great recommendations. I've been looking at the streamlights they look very nice. Id prefer to not spend 250 on ear protection. As I ned a set for my gf as well. The howard ones look pretty good I'll have to read some reviews.

What color lenses do you recommend for indoor and outdoor shooting?

As for a gun bag id rather spend a little more and get something nice but don't need anything crazy either.

Thanks for all the help

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #134
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
2. If I'm not mistaken, the Sig p226 is a pistol, so I think Reed might be smoking a little crack right now while recommending Pmags and Troy Battlemags. He's usually really good with recommendations though, so we can give him pass on this one. CDNN usually has some pretty good deals on magazines.
Yeah, what the hell was I doing when I typed my answer to this one? I really have no excuse here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
3. .... I sometimes combine them with these for indoor ranges: http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Defen...6530855&sr=1-9
SureFire Defenders are great for ear plugs. Best bang for the buck.

Quote:
Lots to look at and some great recommendations. I've been looking at the streamlights they look very nice. Id prefer to not spend 250 on ear protection. As I ned a set for my gf as well. The howard ones look pretty good I'll have to read some reviews.

As for a gun bag id rather spend a little more and get something nice but don't need anything crazy either.

Thanks for all the help

For indoor, some people prefer amber (yellow) lenses. For some weird reason I can't stand amber, so I always just use clear. You can use either.
For outside, it helps to get something darker. It's all about your eyes and what you prefer for sunglasses. When it's sunny out, I wear my tinted lenses. When it's cloudy out, I wear my clear lenses (I have Oakleys with interchangeable lenses). Ideally, get something with interchangeable lenses. Also, make sure you have wrap-around glasses, as most shooting schools and training programs, as well as many gun clubs and ranges, require side protection (which wrap-around glasses afford).

Glock Armorer

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #135
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:

Thanks for all the help

One easy way you can double up on hearing protection yet keeping the cost low is to use both foam earplugs and the cheapo hearing protection. Especially if you're shooting indoors. I would say get the high-end hearing protection a little later on when you've become more familiar with the sport. In terms of lenses, I'm with Reedo - I hate yellow lenses (even though I have 2 pairs). I prefer clear lenses personally.

Honestly, I find range bags kind of useless, imo. I see guys show up with really pricey bags, and pull one gun out of it. I feel like they're a total waste. I usually use a backpack with the gun cases inside. That way my hands are free to carry ammo/equipment/supplies.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #136
nmulax

My Ride: '07 Z4M Coupe
What do you guys think of FNH? I went and shot the FNX-9 last week; didn't shoot as well as the M&P or G17, but I still like something about it.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #137
Reedo302

FNH is a good company. The grip is a bit square and funky, which is the chief complaint, but it's a solid pistol. It's a DA/SA pistol, so not exactly in the same category of pistol as the M&P and Glock (and XD), but it's not a bad alternative from all I've been reading.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #138
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Knocked 1 thing off my ever growing list. Bought the jumbo la police gear tactical bag.

Found some 18rd mecgar mags on cheaper than dirty Im going to order as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #139
Reedo302

So, check this awesome course out: Gradous Rifles Gunsmithing Class.
You pay for the cost of the rifle, plus an additional $1000.00, and you actually go there and get to build your own tactical rifle. That is friggin' SWEEEET! I would totally pay to do this and build the Tactical Short Action in .260 Rem with a 26" Bartlein barrel.

http://www.gradousrifles.com/tactical.php

Glock Armorer

Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #140
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

got my streamlight and absolutely love it, thing is very bright and seems extremely well built.

Tags
guns, poosay magnets, random, talk