E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Pick which V8 I should swap into my E46 non-M coupe
GM LS3 - $6K new + $4K 29 13.94%
E39 M5 S62 $6K used + $5K 95 45.67%
E9X M3 S65 $12K used + $6K 64 30.77%
GM LS9 $22K new + $5K 20 9.62%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #41
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
car enthusiast? it hardly sounds like he's going to do the work himself. I don't mind new things as long as I can coherently reason them out and justify them. I've been several years working in shops through college so I do speak with some degree of experience.

call me a fan boy all you want, but there alot of things such as weight distribution, air intake velocity, chassis support structure that will not accomodate your "new ideas of anything is possible."

And car manufacturers do open their minds to new things, but they actually have engineers with degrees sit and do their homework. It's not a bunch of kids saying "omg lets throw a vette engine inside this honda CR-V and omg it'll be so fast" honestly this guy is getting married and should save his money rather than blow it all. If I had an e46 pull up to me sounding like a misfiring corvette I'd be laughing my ass off, and so would the girls in my car - even after he raced me out from the red light.

ramble, blaa, blaa, its not your choice, its up to you to say if its worth it, if the wanted to put a VW engine would that be ok with you, its german. i dont care if the car is balance in the end, its not my car or money,.

the OP did not ask for your personal BS, pick a engine or move on and who gives a flying fcuk if the OP is not doing the work himself..
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #42
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by altink View Post
hey man if u got the money to do it then go for it. dont listen to anyone sayin go buy a corvette if u want chevy power. u probably want corvette power in a four door car. i deffenetly do it if i had the money. GL bro
errr.... pontiac GTO?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #43
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Ok, so you put an ls9 in the front of the car AS WELL AS the rear of the car. One engine will destroy one half of the frame, and the other engine will destroy the other half of the frame, and because it is being done simultaneously it will cancel out so your car will be fine. And then you will have 1276+ HP, (insert evil laugh here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
If you've ever lost a guinea pig to a stray arrow, you'd know that 24k is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
323ci newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #44
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
if the OP wanted to put a VW engine would that be ok with you, its german.
It's not a German/America engine-thing, it's a engine/chassis thing.

Quote:
i dont care if the car is balance in the end, its not my car or money,
Then you do this forum a disservice if you don't think something like weight distribution and chassis strength is important.

To do this right, OP would have to spend at least $50,000 - not $15k! To do this right, you have to start from the rolling chassis.

Quote:
the OP did not ask for your personal BS, pick a engine or move on and who gives a flying fcuk if the OP is not doing the work himself..

It's not really "my personal BS", my comments are verifiable facts - but you are right the OP is free to do as he pleases. However this is a forum, not myspace for cars where the only function is to give a thumbs up for an extra set of LEDs around someone's new sony xplode system. Tell me, how do you reinforce structural mounts - or weld new 600hp/tq+ engine, transmission, and subframe mounts on a chassis that was designed to handle less than 200hp/tq car? If you at least don't know what I'm talking about you probably shouldn't be commenting here at all because when he's wrapped around the tree you probably won't find out about it and the shop will be too busy counting their money to notice.

viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #45
viceversa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci newbie View Post
Ok, so you put an ls9 in the front of the car AS WELL AS the rear of the car. One engine will destroy one half of the frame, and the other engine will destroy the other half of the frame, and because it is being done simultaneously it will cancel out so your car will be fine. And then you will have 1276+ HP, (insert evil laugh here)
Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #46
GunMoto

My Ride: EG8 | E46 | W211
Send a message via AIM to GunMoto
LS3 - Low start up cost, and plenty of aftermarket parts to increase output.

Contact Vorshlag Motorsports. They released a kit for the E36 and may be developing a kit for the E46.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #47
Lukask

My Ride: E46 SEDAN + VAT
You will know what you want. anything is possible I must admit driving a V8 powered car is totaly nuts I enjoy my E46 to bits so go ahead and do it. Just be patient the electronics on the BMW V8 swap are going to be a bit of a hassel. After that you will have a super smooth car that has power from the worg GO!!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #48
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
why not an LS7 from the z06?

in anycase probably less of a hassle and do an s62 not like your going to be slow with that beast

s65 can be done as the guy above me has done it but sourcing and engine and getting it to run properly may be too much for such a limited budget...

remember to also beef up the suspension and brakes for this kinda beast
Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #49
jerseyfresh

My Ride: is schwartzed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by myksbmw View Post
This may be a good alternative to the LS9 motor!

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...8-P2385C2.aspx
Yea, you know I looked into that, and apparently it doesn't have the same upgraded internals as the LS9... Of the top of my head I don't remember everything, but it's mainly got to do with a bunch of titanium components... (That's still a bad@$$ motor though)

SLP Performance in Toms River, NJ is going to help me sort out a bunch of these little details if I do end up going the GM route...
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
jerseyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #50
jerseyfresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukask View Post
You will know what you want. anything is possible I must admit driving a V8 powered car is totaly nuts I enjoy my E46 to bits so go ahead and do it. Just be patient the electronics on the BMW V8 swap are going to be a bit of a hassel. After that you will have a super smooth car that has power from the worg GO!!!!!
As far as the electronics go, I'm pretty fortunate that I've got some friends who are awesome with programming, so we'll have to see how that goes down... I've got some time here though...

And to answer a few people... Yea, I'd rather go S65 over S62 any day... Sourcing it has been a total b*tch though obviously...
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
jerseyfresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 S54B32 View Post
RB26 swap....you can compete with the guy who just did the 2jz swap..

if not how about an viper SRT-10 engine...would that fit?

Oh the insanity... Yea, for as totally insanely funny stupid as the Viper motor would be, I didn't even consider it... WAY to heavy from what I understand... although it would have that "Oh, get the f*ck out!" reaction ability

...And let's everybody stop with their suggestions for Japanese engines...

It's just not happening... If I wanted a rice burner, it would've been in the options list on the poll...
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #52
jerseyfresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMoto View Post
LS3 - Low start up cost, and plenty of aftermarket parts to increase output.

Contact Vorshlag Motorsports. They released a kit for the E36 and may be developing a kit for the E46.

OK, you get a cookie!!!

That's going to be invaluable! Major thanks...

See kids, this is what we call staying focused on the subject

Not, rice motors
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #53
viceversa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyfresh View Post

Not, rice motors
What's the difference here?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #54
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I voted s62. The BMW motors are going to be a bit of a hassle to get running with all the electronic engine management I'd think. I don't think the chevy motors are as refined but they are brutal when you're looking for horsepower. GL with whatever you decide.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #55
jerseyfresh

Everyone read this if you're going to post on this thread

OK, I just want to get this out of the way...

It's day two of this thread, and already we have some legitimate bickering over this subject... not constructive suggestions.

For those people who don't understand what's going on, this is meant to be a FUN project, not a battle royale over whether you think another person's opinion is stupid...

...Trust me, for as funny as it is to see those little quarrels, that's not what I was hoping for.

This is my project, and I'm hoping to enjoy the process of seeing it all come together... I've accepted that it's not easy, I've accepted that there are a lot of factors that I won't understand until I get there, and I've accepted that there are things that will go wrong in the process... But PLEASE, remember that the whole reason I'm doing this is to have a fun, and to do something that me and my friends will enjoy working on... Not everyone is going to agree with this, but that's OK; just don't miss the point that this is supposed to be FUN!!!
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #56
Freeflow

My Ride: 330zhp ; E30/325is
V10 from an 08+ M5izzle thank you
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #57
KootRoc

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to KootRoc
Quote:
OK, I just want to get this out of the way...

It's day two of this thread, and already we have some legitimate bickering over this subject... not constructive suggestions.

For those people who don't understand what's going on, this is meant to be a FUN project, not a battle royale over whether you think another person's opinion is stupid...

...Trust me, for as funny as it is to see those little quarrels, that's not what I was hoping for.

This is my project, and I'm hoping to enjoy the process of seeing it all come together... I've accepted that it's not easy, I've accepted that there are a lot of factors that I won't understand until I get there, and I've accepted that there are things that will go wrong in the process... But PLEASE, remember that the whole reason I'm doing this is to have a fun, and to do something that me and my friends will enjoy working on... Not everyone is going to agree with this, but that's OK; just don't miss the point that this is supposed to be FUN!!!
I hate when ppl ruin the fun. ^_^ I love when other people spend their money. Can't wait to see the Work in progress
Happy spending!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #58
iDriftYou

My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Quote:
Oh the insanity... Yea, for as totally insanely funny stupid as the Viper motor would be, I didn't even consider it... WAY to heavy from what I understand... although it would have that "Oh, get the f*ck out!" reaction ability

...And let's everybody stop with their suggestions for Japanese engines...

It's just not happening... If I wanted a rice burner, it would've been in the options list on the poll...
That "rice burner" you say will take any of the engines stated up there with a tune on its stock turbos and stock internal. What you anti-JDM people don't know is that the 2JZ and the RB26 are probably one of more strongest motors made. They can easily take 600-800bhp on stock internals. Thats from a straight 6 motor, not huge displacement V8's.

Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #59
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriftYou View Post
That "rice burner" you say will take any of the engines stated up there with a tune on its stock turbos and stock internal. What you anti-JDM people don't know is that the 2JZ and the RB26 are probably one of more strongest motors made. They can easily take 600-800bhp on stock internals. Thats from a straight 6 motor, not huge displacement V8's.
dude. dont even bother trying. anything japanese is clearly a tin can in which rattles when the rock inside it is shaken
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #60
iDriftYou

My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
dude. dont even bother trying. anything japanese is clearly a tin can in which rattles when the rock inside it is shaken
true that, you see this bull shiit more on euro car forums than any other.

Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2jz fanboys, ls3, ls9, s62, s65, v8*, vanos > *, vtec>vanos