E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

My Ride: 01 330ci,05 Yama R1
Bespoke Suits: Are they worth it?

For those of you with a bespoke suit or know what a bespoke suit is.....is it worth it?

Does the fit and quality really different from lets say an Armani or Hugo Boss quality type suit.

I'm in London for three months and will be graduating after this semester is over. I walked around Savile Row today and noticed the snazzy suit(Also, three Ferrari's, 2 Astons, and about 10 Bentleys) . I'm contemplating buying a black bespoke suit for interviews/work but wanted some further opinions.

To my well dressed e46ers', help me out!

Cheers
Rogue Engineering Pulleys
ECIS Intake
Stoptech Stage II Brake Kit
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
ksuen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
330xiBoarder

My Ride: a car
get one they are worth it
330xiBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xiBoarder View Post
get one they are worth it
do you have one? pics/experience/brand?

thanks
ECIS Intake
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
Not worth it. Real Saville Row bespoke suits are thousands of dollars. There is very little benefit to having one as a junior professional in any industry. In fact, it may even get you laughed at. A couple of other pointers, stay away from Black suits and Armani or Boss. Black is too formal for work and Armani/Boss are overpriced for the quality you get.
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
330xiBoarder

well i dont have a Real Saville Row bespoke suit. but i have a bespoke suit made for me here in seattle...and the fit is exceptional.....the guy also made 3 custom fit shirts that fit perfect....

so i dont know about about the whole saville suit thing....
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
ok. no, you don't need a savile row bespoke suit at your point in life. a MTM or even a nicely tailored off the rack suit would be sufficient. If you do decide on bespoke, go check out Gieves & Hawkes on savile row and also pogson and davis in Mayfair. They make very top notch stuff but very expensive. One thing you shouldn't ever do is spend over 2500 on an OTR suit. At that price point a bespoke is a better alternative. and Please, do not get a black suit, especially for interviews. The importance and versatility of a Navy suit cannot be overstated. I think a perfect business wardrobe would consist of at least two navy two button suits with double vents and no pleats...two grey suits one stripe one plain etc and also one charcoal chalkstripe and a windowpane suit of some sort to mix it up. Spread collar shirts are the ONLY way to go and for christs sake, get a good pair of shoes.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Novare330

My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
they make some very nice cufflinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
330CK

My Ride: > your ride
Okay look, take my advice and win, take any conflicting advice and lose.

Do not get a black suit. Say it to yourself: do not get a black suit. Get a navy blue or charcoal wool suit. These are the two most versatile business wear suits. Flat front trousers, no cuff. One or two buttons, or double breasted.

Now about whether or not bespoke is for you is a tougher question than it seems. Bespoke generally takes several fittings to get the custom pattern correct. This is fine if you live there currently and can take a few months to a year to get the fit right. Now, in rare cases, bespoke will not be the best solution. A quality tailor will make this a much easier process. Know what you beforehand so you don't look like a philistine.

MTM is a cheaper solution where a tailor takes his established pattern of suit and makes slight adjustments based on your measurements. A lot of the time this a much more fiscally responsible route if you can find a company with a good pattern for you.

OTR is tricky. You will have to try on a lot of suits, all while taking terrible suggestions from commissioned sales people. Make a trip to NYC and go to the Polo Mansion on Madison ave and have them fit you. RL generally has a pattern to just about anyone.

The deciding factor is your budget, though.
330CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Another small note about Hugo Boss suits. The fit is nice, but for the money, the construction (for most of their line-up) is sub-par. Another option is to go to one of the Asian countries and get a bespoke suit for dirt cheap. You can also get very nice bespoke shoes as well. You say that for the price of the ticket, you can get a suit in London? Well, this way, you'll be getting another vacation to Asia.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
What's wrong with a black suit?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Generally, a black suit is said to be too sharp of a color and that for business applications, navy blue or charcoal are a more versatile option. I have a black suit for now, but my next suit (which will be either a very nice OTR suit like a Zegna or a bespoke suit) will be a solid Navy suit. The things you can match with that gives you a very nice range. Also, and this is a personal thing, I like wearing brown shoes and both Navy (especially Navy) and Charcoal can support brown. Some may differ on the Charcoal with brown.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
330CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Abraham Lincoln was shot in a black suit. From then on, black suits were for 'the help and the deceased'.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
330xiBoarder

i have a black suit and i see nothing wrong with them .... they are sharp lookin....i dont see what all the fuss about a black suit is
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
330CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xiBoarder View Post
i have a black suit and i see nothing wrong with them .... they are sharp lookin....i dont see what all the fuss about a black suit is
Wear whatever you want - confidence is key, but a black suit is sartorially incorrect.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #15
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Even if it's just once, a man should buy a bespoke suit. OP, the vendors listed are all good but check out Ozwald Boateng, too - I can personally reccomend him - awesome suits!

I'd agree with the comments re avoiding black for everyday work - I do have one for funeral duty and when I want to give bad news at work (it was known as my 'firing suit") but it's not really de rigeur for the workplace. My favourite suit is a thick chalkstripe 3 piece (I'm a sucker for a waistcoat!) If you're worried that your suit might be a bit boring, spec up the loudest material you can find for the lining - I've seen chartreuse before (a bit OTT, but you get noticed!)

+1 on the shoes, though - get a pair (or three!) from any of the famous Norhampton houses, you should be good, but if you've got cash to burn go for Lobb - not cheap mind, I think 700 was about par for an OTP pair and you can easily do double that for bespoke - one day!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #16
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKman View Post
Not worth it. Real Saville Row bespoke suits are thousands of dollars. There is very little benefit to having one as a junior professional in any industry. In fact, it may even get you laughed at. A couple of other pointers, stay away from Black suits and Armani or Boss. Black is too formal for work and Armani/Boss are overpriced for the quality you get.
+1 i use either a solid navy blue or a grey pinstripe depending on the place
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #17
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

Thanks for all your comments guys, I already have a black suit but was thinking about getting a navy or a charcoal pinstripe. As I am on a budget being abroad, I don't know if now is the time to get one(money, time constraints with fitting, etc).

But are there good bespoke tailors in the USA. I was researching online and found a tailor by Duncan Quin. Supposedly he does suits for Jeremy Piven, Diddy and stars alike.

In my lifetime I would like to have a bespoke suit, but I don't know if at my tender age of 22 that would be necessary. Thanks for all the responses
ECIS Intake
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
330CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuen21 View Post
Thanks for all your comments guys, I already have a black suit but was thinking about getting a navy or a charcoal pinstripe. As I am on a budget being abroad, I don't know if now is the time to get one(money, time constraints with fitting, etc).

But are there good bespoke tailors in the USA. I was researching online and found a tailor by Duncan Quin. Supposedly he does suits for Jeremy Piven, Diddy and stars alike.

In my lifetime I would like to have a bespoke suit, but I don't know if at my tender age of 22 that would be necessary. Thanks for all the responses
Charcoal pinstripe is not a versatile choice.

It's apparent you're not ready for a bespoke suit. For the same money buy yourself a few good (not armani, boss, etc) OTR or MTM suits. Start with a navy blue and charcoal. Then take the rest of the money and invest it in a good pair of brown and black leather (and leather soled) shoes. You want these to be versatile too, so don't get wingtips or any other highly ornate shoes. Allen Edmonds will probably be your best bet.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
This thread isn't old...not at all...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Totally worth it for me! Hard to fit any off the rack suits on me without alot of tailoring!