E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #801
ajv85483

My Ride: E46 325I
Alright guys, so my guy at the shop is saying that he is having problems with the suspension.

Have any of you guys had a problem that when you put the rear suspension on and have the coil settings even the car is dropped to one side more than the other??

Im thinking one of the springs might be defective. The only way to get the car to look even is to have the coil on the lower side al lthe way up in order to work. any ideas??
ajv85483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #802
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
thats normal from all the installs ive done (not specific to only racelands), my passenger side rear has been lower on my rl setup and now my current h&r coil setup
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #803
615bimmerboy

My Ride: 02 325i
i know this is kinda off topic, but i made a thread and no one has responded to it.....

has anyone used (or know someone that has used) the Ground Control Coilover conversion kit? im not talkin about the track coilover setup, but the conversion kit....

i know some people run them on e36's and e30's and other older models but didnt know if anyone's had any experience with them?

if so, hows the ride quality? i guess it kinda depends on the shocks that you use....and how much drop do they give you?
I will not show you photos of my nuts.
615bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #804
Dominic.G.
Banned

My Ride: Jetblack 1999 323i
I was looking at the endlink from autozone and it looks like it just like our stock ones and doesn't look like its adjustable????

Here's a pic of the stock endlink and an aftermarket adjustable one. You can easily see how the aftermarket one is adjustable.

Now here's a pic of the autozone endlink... it looks like the stock one, i don't see how its adjustable.

Dominic.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #805
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
i dont think its supposed to be adjustable. The reason why you need the new endlinks is because you need shorter endlinks. so the ones from autozone are probably shorter. Just my thoughts, dont really know. Gonna find out soon though. I wonder where daron (w0w) got his endlinks from, because his are adjustable.
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #806
Dominic.G.
Banned

he got them from velocity motorcars i'm pretty sure, i just read from page 1-20 hahahaha That Bmw_Matt guy was really annoying. Started off strong being a dick to anyone who said they were interested in race lands and then near the end started saying they were ok....
If I get these from autozone will I be able to adjust the coilover ride height when I want? What i'm trying to say is....
If stock endlinks are too long and will bend when we lower the car a lot... how do I know how low I can go on these autozone endlinks? Also can endlinks be too short? Like.. If i only want to lower the car an inch could these endlinks end up being too short?

Thanks for the helpful reply's.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #807
Dominic.G.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 615bimmerboy View Post
i know this is kinda off topic, but i made a thread and no one has responded to it.....

has anyone used (or know someone that has used) the Ground Control Coilover conversion kit? im not talkin about the track coilover setup, but the conversion kit....

i know some people run them on e36's and e30's and other older models but didnt know if anyone's had any experience with them?

if so, hows the ride quality? i guess it kinda depends on the shocks that you use....and how much drop do they give you?
My friend here at school is trying to get his hands on some "ground control" coilovers
Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #808
UTSYCO

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Here's my input on the Racelands/Rokkors.

I just installed the suspension on my e46 convertible. The install is pretty simple even for someone who has never worked on a car. I've done many suspension swaps on my cars and this one is by far the simplest. As far as the quality of the kit, not too great. The fronts seem to be decent but they've only been on the car for 5 hours. The rears are garbage. I wouldn't even use the springs because they are not a very good spring weight with the shocks that are matched up with them. Actually, I say the shocks are useless. When I compressed them, they extended 5 inches and I had to pull them out the rest of the way. I'm assuming they will work if you slam your car and drag the oil pan, but that's the only time. The fronts seems to be a better quality than the rears by far. Since my car already had the sport suspension I just installed the fronts only and adjusted the ride height. When I installed the rears, I almost threw up a little in my mouth. At full height it was still too low for my tastes, but regardless of tastes the rear shocks are trash. If you swap in this kit I HIGHLY recommend just spending the extra 80 bucks for rear shocks. Steel rods would be better than these things. Don't get me wrong, I am PRO Raceland/Rokkor for the price if you just plan on using the fronts. Even with the warranty, I just can't even remotely think I will use the rears at all. I also used the Impala SS end links and they fit fine. The one thing to be sure of is that if you get these parts from Autozone, check the part numbers to be sure they match exactly. My set had the correct part numbers, but one was "D" and the other "G". No one at Autozone could explain the difference as only the part number showed without a prefix. The differences I found was the D set was 5/8 nut, the G set was 14mm with an oval shape. The end links are exactly the same size, but the nuts were different on each. I went ahead and used them since they were lifetime warranty and the same size in length.
I have not had much time on the suspension to give a good driving review, but since I had blown fronts and poor rears I can already tell you I notice a huge improvement in handling. This car is just something I use to take the kids out on a sunny day with the top down and is never autocrossed or tracked, I have an SSM prepped Miata for that.

Overall grade- 4 out of 10 for quality and a 6 out of 10 for price. I only rate it a 6 since only half the kit is really useful in my opinion.
UTSYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #809
///Mostarac

^^Post pics
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #810
UTSYCO

As I mentioned I'm not a slammed kind of guy but I do like a raked look. Since I kept the rear Sport springs I just set the fronts to " my taste". I just snapped a few pics with my iPhone in the dark for now. Horrible pics so I'll take some better shots in the sunlight tomorrow.

I tried posting pics but nothing would show so here is a link if it works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/utsyco/5498013369/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/utsyco/5498608500/

Last edited by UTSYCO; 03-04-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #811
///Mostarac

looks nice man
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #812
UTSYCO

Looks much better in the sunlight. I'll post some tomorrow. I'm 41 with 2 kids so slammed isn't my thing anymore...
Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #813
///Mostarac

i hear ya. So which endlinks did you go with...the "G" or "D" ?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #814
moar low

My Ride: 03' 325i/00' Celica
My racelands installed for about a year now! going strong no problems!

May I recommend:

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	395343   Click image for larger version

Name:	73433_1657060787429_1264396816_31704061_3372981_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	395344  

Last edited by moar low; 03-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.
moar low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #815
UTSYCO

Both actually. The end links themselves were exactly the same. The only differences were in the nuts from what we could see. I could use either nut on either end link, but one was a 14mm and the other was a 5/8". No idea why. We just guessed they were different manufacturers making the exact same product with different results. The Impala SS end links were the perfect length and bolt right in with the drop. If one were to slam the car or want pre-load on the sway then the VM end links would probably be more beneficial to them. The end links I used were only 40 bucks for the set. I looked at and really liked the VM End links, but I don't necessarily need to preload bar my sway bar. So I decided the extra 60 bucks would be better used on the rear shocks instead.

Moar Low, I couldn't have my car as low as yours...just not my thing anymore. There's just nothing appealing to me about a car that looks like it has 10 people in it, when it is empty. I learned a long time ago about the dynamics of suspension for racing and such and built a Miata for that. I did the slammed thing and it just wasn't beneficial to me in many ways. Having that limited of shock travel and bump stop beatings changed the way I set my cars up now. Nothing against slammed cars, just no longer my thing.

Last edited by UTSYCO; 03-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #816
///Mostarac

i want the velocity adjustable ones but i dont have enough money for them might just save up. Moar low What size did you get when u ordered them? the factory e46 one?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #817
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Has anyone had experience with Racelands vs JOM blue lines? My biggest worry is buying a set of Racelands only to find myself in more problems and having to buy more ****. My front bumper was already a huge nightmare

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #818
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Before someone ripped the front off and totaled it this is the former ride
And here is the current on hr
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #819
UTSYCO

OK, of course we get a cold front in with rain, which stole the sunshine. But here is a quick pic of the suspension now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/utsyco/5499203969/
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #820
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
So would you guys recommended just buying KONI rears the same time I buy the Racelands? Is this the only real problem people seem to have with the kit (crappy rear shocks)? Im thinking of just buying the KONI shocks before I do any install and totally trashing the Raleland rear shocks. $500 for coilovers is still cheaper than $1000+
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, ebay, raceland, review