E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #81
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Why buy WORSE than stock though? Its like dating a cover girl and breaking her face. If all you need is a drop, buy some Tein springs and call it a day.
whoo, quick reply.

uhh... because stock shocks were blown? my shiet used to be sooo horrible since they were blown. racelands were definitely a step-up in my opinion... but what isn't from blown suspension?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #82
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I have to agree with Shady. If you want cheap replacements for stock dampers then go with Koni STR.T dampers. They are $375 (free shipping) for a set of 4 on eBay. There are even some Bilstein twin-tube dampers that sell on eBay for about $290. Buy something like that at a minimum and use your stock springs.
but then what about a slamm?

don't get me wrong. i see where you two are coming from.

but for people who don't know the difference from reload, rebound and compression... it doesn't matter. lol. they just want a slamm, these definitely give it to you for cheap, and then on top of that you get a set of new shocks.

naa what i mean?

damnit, back to work... we'll continue this discussion later.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #83
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
i do agree with u guys when it comes to performance-oriented coils, but the main reason i got these were to replace my blown setup and go lower. the guys i know (like raj) purchased these as a replacement for his blown setup, along with another friend of mine. sure i might feel a huge difference if i go to another set of coils, but these coils give me everything i need. i would feel weary tracking these 3 times a month but that isnt the reason i bought them. im not trying to convince ppl these coils are amazing, im just saying that theyre a good alternative for blown setups or for going low, i just find it stupid ppl need to bash them based on price and reviews, or lack thereof.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #84
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
I think the whole question boils down this -

Q: Under what circumstances does it make sense to put cr@ppy coilover set up on your car?

A:When your current setup is toast, you are low on cash, can do the install yourself, and don't really give hoot about performance but want an adjustable ride height.

Does that about sum it up?
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #85
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
The whole "I wouldnt track them" thing is kind of silly. Most tracks are neatly paved and most folks here dont go fast enough to use the kerbing. Your shocks take more abuse daily driving for sure.

And fwiw I'd rather ride around on blown oem shocks than poorly designed ebay coils.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #86
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
And fwiw I'd rather ride around on blown oem shocks than poorly designed ebay coils.
Me too, but under the circumstances outlined above, I can see how some people might have a different preference.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #87
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
no point for me to try with some of u people, gl to those who try em out
Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #88
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
The whole "I wouldnt track them" thing is kind of silly. Most tracks are neatly paved and most folks here dont go fast enough to use the kerbing. Your shocks take more abuse daily driving for sure.

So where do you get ur fact that they are " poorly designed " ? from the price or from your research/experience....right now at this point I heard 0 negative feedback about them
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #89
shady3one3
Banned

Because I know you can't even build a set of shocks with quality internals and ideal performance for the cost of these, let alone make a profit from them. There is no way that there is any kind of quality control ensuring that the valving is the same from side to side or consistent from kit to kit. And like I said, I'd love for someone with a new set to let us dyno them to see for sure.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #90
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
I see your point..but lets take DDM coils for example....They are $750....3 times more expensive thn Raceland...and look at their built quality and early problems that Raceland coilovers customers havent experienced so far....Im not comparing them to KW or Bilstein..thats a whole different league
Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #91
shady3one3
Banned

You couldn't pay me $800 to put DDM coilovers on any car of mine.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #92
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Both points are valid. Not everyone can drop $1000 on some coilovers. But dampers/springs are important to safety which I think is the primary concern. Yeah, you save a little money but is it worth the consequences? To some it will be. To others, it won't.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #93
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
if you cant afford to replace your oem suspension, or upgrade it with a reputable company, then you shouldnt have bought the car. bmw's or otherwise. i put some ghetto crap on my civic a few years back NEVER AGAIN. oem is better than any cheap crap u can get
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #94
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
ditto on your suspension being a safety critical component. There are some things you just shouldn't mess with on your car if you're going to be out on the road driving around with the rest of the commuting population
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #95
B33R

My Ride: e46 325i
200.00 was an introductory price. there not looking for profit, just to get a good name out with alot of product sales. they obviously have gotten it up a little, especially in the vdub scene. i believe that set up is now 340.00? i know they already raised the BMW setup, its now 240.00 plus shipping, they will never be 1000.00 coils, but it doesnt mean that just cause there new, half of you "speed demons" need to worry about crashing on the track. if you think safety is the concern im sure you read that bf.c post about some dude rolling his car with the ddms. some people rave about ddms, i see slim shady is hating but we all dont have z4c's bud, with the cash to support your super cool mods. some of us are just 18 year olds looking to whip our cars around some turns and get the rush of feeling like our a$$es are about the scrape the ground and when we crawl over speed bumps, we want to cringe hoping that we dont hear the scrapes. if you have the cash and want to spend it thinking your car will have less roll on those turns you do on track day go for it, but if your a kid looking for a drop and some back road fun, get some fuggen racelands!
B33R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #96
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33R View Post
200.00 was an introductory price. there not looking for profit, just to get a good name out with alot of product sales. they obviously have gotten it up a little, especially in the vdub scene. i believe that set up is now 340.00? i know they already raised the BMW setup, its now 240.00 plus shipping, they will never be 1000.00 coils, but it doesnt mean that just cause there new, half of you "speed demons" need to worry about crashing on the track. if you think safety is the concern im sure you read that bf.c post about some dude rolling his car with the ddms. some people rave about ddms, i see slim shady is hating but we all dont have z4c's bud, with the cash to support your super cool mods. some of us are just 18 year olds looking to whip our cars around some turns and get the rush of feeling like our a$$es are about the scrape the ground and when we crawl over speed bumps, we want to cringe hoping that we dont hear the scrapes. if you have the cash and want to spend it thinking your car will have less roll on those turns you do on track day go for it, but if your a kid looking for a drop and some back road fun, get some fuggen racelands!
as long as that was a joke

Otherwise
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 AM   #97
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33R View Post
Hey slim, I just hope my car isn't in the way of yours as you sail off the road because your $240 crap suspension failed.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #98
shady3one3
Banned

Trying to say that racelands aren't bad because people like DDM's is ridiculous. They are equally bad, and the people who rave about DDM's are just cheapos who don't know what they're talking about.

And yeah, my Z4 is sooooooooooo expensive. Its also completely stock
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #99
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Quote:
Trying to say that racelands aren't bad because people like DDM's is ridiculous. They are equally bad, and the people who rave about DDM's are just cheapos who don't know what they're talking about.

And yeah, my Z4 is sooooooooooo expensive. Its also completely stock
Also I would put $20.00 on it that its dirty and needs a bath

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #100
shady3one3
Banned

Oh god is it filthy! My wheels are so dirty they're black After it gets inspected tomorrow I'm going to get it a bath for sure.

Tags
coilovers, ebay, raceland, review