E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #1021
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by honkifyoubonk View Post
ur running 19x9.5 up front? if you are ull def need spacers for those so you might as well get them now.. as far as what mm you would need it depends on the offset of the wheels..
not necessarily. Im running 19x9 and dont need spacers.
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #1022
Lunatikz|E46

My Ride: Slow
Go RLs and Roks!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #1023
honkifyoubonk

My Ride: E 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
not necessarily. Im running 19x9 and dont need spacers.
hmm i guess it depends on the et and how low you are going i guess, i needed spacers for my 8.5" wide with et40
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #1024
Jkim

My Ride: needs work...
Definitely depends on offset

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Jkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #1025
mikehundreds

My Ride: 2000 323i
so has anyone replaced the rear springs with linear ones yet? ive got konis in the rear now but was seeing if there was a spring upgrade as well
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #1026
Jkim

Do the rear springs sit right? Or will they sit flat after car is back on the ground. My rear springs look luke theyre on an angle and not flush.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #1027
///Mostarac

mine are a bit angled too, but i also have a 15mm spring pad underneath them
Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1028
Jkim

Ah I see. Seems like my left rear has more camber then my right although they are at the same height

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #1029
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
If you were to swap out the rear springs on the Raceland/Rokkor coilovers with stock ZHP springs, would you lose the ride height adjustability of the rear?

Also, Im sitting on stock ZHP wheels. Am I going to need spacers to go with this setup? Im not looking to slam the car, but lower it moderately to eliminate the wheel gap. Im looking to go with the Rokkor kit.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #1030
Jkim

Im gnna say no cuz ur springs are separate and the adjustability in on the shock part.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #1031
///Mostarac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
If you were to swap out the rear springs on the Raceland/Rokkor coilovers with stock ZHP springs, would you lose the ride height adjustability of the rear?

Also, Im sitting on stock ZHP wheels. Am I going to need spacers to go with this setup? Im not looking to slam the car, but lower it moderately to eliminate the wheel gap. Im looking to go with the Rokkor kit.
yes you will lose the height adjustability feature if you swap the springs. And whats the offset on the zhp wheels?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #1032
///BeckeR

Quote:
yes you will lose the height adjustability feature if you swap the springs. And whats the offset on the zhp wheels?
Have the rear shocks on the Rokkor kit been known to firm up as they break in? Im on a stock ZHP suspension with 63k on it and it may or may not be blown (I have nothing to compare it to). I definetly do not want to lose performance but I also want to go low for cheap, and retain the performance of a stock ZHP.

So far, the Rokkor kit is looking like the right kit for me. Is there any word of how many miles some people are getting out of these kits? Im looking too get like 30k+ but im thinking that may be too hopeful!

The offsets are: 18x8 et47 front, and 18x8.5 et50 rear. Fronts have 225s and the rears have 255s.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #1033
thegeneral

My Ride: 330ci
nice'
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #1034
///Mostarac

Keep in mind rokkor and raceland are made by the same company. So they're ideally the same kit just different name and color. The rokkor's are said to have stiffer spring rates but thats something that you probably won't notice if you drove two cars with raceland on one car and rokkor on the other. They'd feel very identical. Having said that, you will most likely need spacers in the front. Since your gonna need to space the front out, you might as well buy spacers for the rear so it matches and doesn't look unproportional. You also don't need to swap shocks out of the rears on these kits, its just mostly personal preference for people. I drove a good 4-5 months with them before swapping them out. The only reason I swapped them out is because I needed a stiffer set of shocks because I rubbed like crazy with each bump, hump, or drop on the road or highway because Im running an aggressive offset, something you won't have to worry about. I suggest your entire set of rims out to your personal preference, i'd say 10mm in the front, maybe 15 in the rear. Try it out, see how it is, and go on from there.

Also, if you'd like to check if your zhp suspension is blow (which it probably isn't) go outside, to the rear of the car, push down on the trunk. If the car is easily able to be compressed down and bounces a lot, then it's most likely blow. Do the same thing for the front. If you can easily push down on it, and its bouncy then it's blown. You can also use this test on another car, a car you know for a fact that does not have a blown suspension (a brand new car that you know somebody owns) and compare the two.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #1035
///BeckeR

Quote:
Keep in mind rokkor and raceland are made by the same company. So they're ideally the same kit just different name and color. The rokkor's are said to have stiffer spring rates but thats something that you probably won't notice if you drove two cars with raceland on one car and rokkor on the other. They'd feel very identical. Having said that, you will most likely need spacers in the front. Since your gonna need to space the front out, you might as well buy spacers for the rear so it matches and doesn't look unproportional. You also don't need to swap shocks out of the rears on these kits, its just mostly personal preference for people. I drove a good 4-5 months with them before swapping them out. The only reason I swapped them out is because I needed a stiffer set of shocks because I rubbed like crazy with each bump, hump, or drop on the road or highway because Im running an aggressive offset, something you won't have to worry about. I suggest your entire set of rims out to your personal preference, i'd say 10mm in the front, maybe 15 in the rear. Try it out, see how it is, and go on from there.

Also, if you'd like to check if your zhp suspension is blow (which it probably isn't) go outside, to the rear of the car, push down on the trunk. If the car is easily able to be compressed down and bounces a lot, then it's most likely blow. Do the same thing for the front. If you can easily push down on it, and its bouncy then it's blown. You can also use this test on another car, a car you know for a fact that does not have a blown suspension (a brand new car that you know somebody owns) and compare the two.
Thanks for the info! I just checked to see if my shocks were blown and this is what i found:

The rear is very firm and difficult to push down, but makes a squeaky noise when you push down.

The front, on the other hand, is significantly easier to push down on and a lot more spring. It took very little weight to push the fronts down on both corners. Does this mean that the front shocks are possibly blown?

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #1036
Jkim

Possibly. Whats ur milage?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #1037
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkim View Post
Possibly. Whats ur milage?

Im at 63k miles. Most of the miles are from the city, the previous owner lived in NYC.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #1038
Jkim

Oh. I think most susp goes out around 75k. Its possible yours are still ok but should be changed out soon. I also know most rears go out first. Most. Only way youre gnna know for sure is taking it out and inspecting it. Since youre thinking going rls, jusr get em. Just dnt buy the endlinks the suggest and go with the autozone ones instead

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #1039
///Mostarac

my suspension was good at 90k. i still swapped it out. you could possibly have a blown front, you can take it to a mechanic just so he can take a look see. He can do more than me in terms of telling you if you have a blown suspension or not, theres only so much i can do, you know? The sqeaky noise is normal as well.

And if you do go with this suspension, buy ss impala endlinks. theres a part number somewhere in this thread. you need it for the installation.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1040
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
im running HR race springs with cut front coils and No rear pads and wnt to go lower. im going ROKKOR coilovers. do i need a spacer on stock ZHP rims and i remove the helper coil am i going to get much more in the way of drop over the current height i have. See sig below

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, ebay, raceland, review