E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #1061
Dominic.G.
Banned

My Ride: Jetblack 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder32 View Post
I have read the 50 earlier pages in the past and know im going to need new endlinks and such but can someone please sum it all up for me?

Looking to buy these sometime soon but what will i need to have a safe, low ride(kinda doesnt go together haha) i just dont want to be unsatisfied after purchasing rokkors or racelands

Thanks!
I'm very satisfied with my racelands. Honestly

All you need is racelands and moog endlinks that are made for the front of an impala or something. I can't remember the part number but you can find it in this thread somewhere.

here's a pic of me lowered on them

Last edited by Dominic.G.; 10-04-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Dominic.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #1062
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder32 View Post
I have read the 50 earlier pages in the past and know im going to need new endlinks and such but can someone please sum it all up for me?

Looking to buy these sometime soon but what will i need to have a safe, low ride(kinda doesnt go together haha) i just dont want to be unsatisfied after purchasing rokkors or racelands

Thanks!
all you need is new endlinks from autozone or pepboys. the part number is somewhere in the thread. Also, if you want a stiffer ride, swap out the rear shocks. But i suggest you get a feel for the "stock" raceland feel first and see how that goes for you.
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #1063
Jkim

My Ride: needs work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
all you need is new endlinks from autozone or pepboys. the part number is somewhere in the thread. Also, if you want a stiffer ride, swap out the rear shocks. But i suggest you get a feel for the "stock" raceland feel first and see how that goes for you.
Listen to him. Done.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer
Jkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #1064
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Yeah make sure you get the shorter end links, when I was installing a set I couldn't install his end links because they were too long. I tried to get them cut & welded but the shop recommended me not too.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #1065
Dominic.G.
Banned

My Ride: Jetblack 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
Yeah make sure you get the shorter end links, when I was installing a set I couldn't install his end links because they were too long. I tried to get them cut & welded but the shop recommended me not too.
yea that would probably make them a lot weaker right?
Dominic.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #1066
staatsbmxkid

My Ride: 323i
ok anyone have install guide on these things? its kinda chilly up here so dont wanna hop in garage to install them without having a referance .... also what was the end link that i can grab from advance or pepboys. thanks
staatsbmxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #1067
Jkim

My Ride: needs work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by honkifyoubonk View Post
sway bar endlinks from autozone, part number 18365
and poss. wheel spacers
Believe that's it. Just read thru some pages. Put em. On js like you took ur stocks off.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer
Jkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #1068
riddlemethis

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
What's funny is the OP of this thread has long been on a High Quality GROUND CONTROL SUSPENSION.

That should tell you something.

"If you want steak,......then don't go to McDonald's."

Good luck.
check first couple pages. he bought racelands then his buddy was selling GC so he bought that. He said many times he liked the RL's he just installed them wrong and they offered full refund.
riddlemethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #1069
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemethis View Post
check first couple pages. he bought racelands then his buddy was selling GC so he bought that. He said many times he liked the RL's he just installed them wrong and they offered full refund.

This is your third post & you're trying to call out a senior forum member ?

You may want to rethink that type of logic. If you read through any of these sub forums, you'll see how much I've helped members out.

You should either read through this very long thread or if you have, then re-read it. The point I'm making is whether it's 50/50 for or against, or better or worst, that's not a good enough rating to then install them in a BMW.

The very prevalent statement: "The rear is BOUNCY" is not a well thought out, well engineered suspension system. I personally owned them & had them tested at Road Race Technologies (RRT) in Virginia on their spring & shock dyno's, simply stated Racelands Are Junk.

But please go ahead & install them in your car, you deserve them.

BTW, I'll remember you.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1070
ShiroZ31

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Quote:
What's funny is the OP of this thread has long been on a High Quality GROUND CONTROL SUSPENSION.
That should tell you something.

"If you want steak,......then don't go to McDonald's."
Good luck.
Who cares? I have a High Quality GROUND CONTROL SUSPENSION on my good car, and for 10 year old beater BMW there's nothing wrong with racelands. Mine are 2 years old and still just fine for street or even autoX use.

325XiT ----- 323Ci ----- 300ZXT
ShiroZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #1071
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroZ31 View Post
Who cares? I have a High Quality GROUND CONTROL SUSPENSION on my good car, and for 10 year old beater BMW there's nothing wrong with racelands. Mine are 2 years old and still just fine for street or even autoX use.

If you like RL so much, you should sell the "High Quality GROUND CONTROL SUSPENSION on your good car" & buy set of cheap ass RL's for that one too.

But as I've stated, I had them tested & based on that testing I wouldn't run them on my lawnmower.

FNG's

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 11-05-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #1072
moar low

My Ride: 03' 325i/00' Celica
Track use, no wai!

Daily, town driving, just cruising. Can't beat it in my book, well over a year with my RL's and 35k miles no probs. I never planned on, and still don't plan on keeping my car 3-6 years or anything, so I'm sure the RL's will last me, still have the stock sport suspension in my shed.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #1073
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I just helped a local install these. One word sums them up. Cheap...you get what you pay for. I would just get lowering springs.

Yes, you MUST get sway links. And the front spring adjusters will interfere with the backside of the wheels if don't have a somewhat aggressive offset. You could remove the helper spring but these are so soft I would not recommend that.

Basically, these will ruin the handling of your car. Your car will roll but the worst part is the suspension bounces. If your car doesn't roll with the RLs it means you are riding on the bumpstops.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1074
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I just helped a local install these. One word sums them up. Cheap...you get what you pay for. I would just get lowering springs.

Yes, you MUST get sway links. And the front spring adjusters will interfere with the backside of the wheels if don't have a somewhat aggressive offset. You could remove the helper spring but these are so soft I would not recommend that.

Basically, these will ruin the handling of your car. Your car will roll but the worst part is the suspension bounces. If your car doesn't roll with the RLs it means you are riding on the bumpstops.
I have these with koni struts and honestly, the people who say these are decent are either in denial, can deal with a shitty ride, just dont know any better or live in really nicely paved areas. I totally regret buying these as it has killed the BMW characteristics of my car. I am now in the market for something else. Racelands are strictly for show, NOTHING else! I poop on you RACELAND!

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #1075
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebhong View Post
I have these with koni struts and honestly, the people who say these are decent are either in denial, can deal with a shitty ride, just dont know any better or live in really nicely paved areas. I totally regret buying these as it has killed the BMW characteristics of my car. I am now in the market for something else. Racelands are strictly for show, NOTHING else! I poop on you RACELAND!

Thank you for your straight forward & honest review.

When you say "struts", do you mean Koni rear shocks in an attempt to fix the bouncing rear ?

Quote:
Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #1076
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
Quote:
Thank you for your straight forward & honest review.

When you say "struts", do you mean Koni rear shocks in an attempt to fix the bouncing rear ?
Yeah just the rear struts, it did make a slight improvement over the ones RL sends you but not enough to justify the entire ride.

IMO you should save your money until you can afford a quality suspension set. I made the mistake of being impulsive and wanting to drop my car as soon as possible and I wasted $300 (RL)+$200(KONI) on this setup and the only thing salvageable is the Koni struts. So basically I ended up adding $500 to the next suspension setup I will be purchasing.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #1077
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
Very happy with my racelands. Lowers my car perfectly. Is a little bouncy, but I don't mind. Handling was greatly improved imo just because of the lower center of gravity.

I bet that more expensive coilovers ride a lot better but for the mass amount of money saved i'm very happy with them.
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #1078
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quite frankly, I think these coilovers are unsafe. The back end bounces so much with just a little tiny bump in the street. It looks like a Honda Civic that bounces for a 1/4 mile after a bump in the road.

Anyone that says their car handles better with these RL coilovers is an idiot.

Again, a set of lowering springs with OEM shocks will cost much less in the long run if you MUST drop the car.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #1079
jlorditch457

My Ride: 03 325i
Bigjae no bueno lol its def. What you pay for is what you get but the ride is not that ruff, not civic bouncy I enjoy them for now being low budget...but then again you'll need endlinks, and if you don't have a crazy offset some sort of spacers.. big thumbsup to Bigjae for helping me install and lending me spacers until mine come in, all in all I'm satisfied knowing I only payed 300 for them, will upgrade once the moneys right
jlorditch457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #1080
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
I am not looking to spend a lot on my car as I have other things to pay for and my it will be gone soon. These coilovers are good for a short term or for show. My next car, I am going to keep for a while and it will be an e46. I will not be putting racelands on them not because I dont like them (which I do) but because Im looking for a long lasting name brand kit as I will be heavily modding my next car.

all in all i'd rate these a 7-8 out of 10. These are good coilovers for beginner modders.
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, ebay, raceland, review