E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
First HPDE with LSD and camber plates

Just came back from TWS over this weekend and it was the first time at the track with my Metric Mechanic 3.15 LSD, Vorshlag camber plates and UUC flywheel/clutch kit.

The car can put the power down much better. Before, DSC would really cut the power on corner exit. Now I can barely notice DSC intervening.

The flywheel/clutch really brings the motor alive. The throttle response is 100 times better and the engine revs much more eagerly.

Now I am at -2.1 degrees in the front with my vorshlag plates with a little toe out. Bilstein PSS, UUC Sways (mid stiff - fr, mid stiff - rr), and OEM 17's with Dunlop Direzza SS Z1s in OEM sizes. The car didn't push at all and the front end was very responsive.

Overall, very worthwhile upgrades. I could really roll on the throttle on corner exits without having to worry about running out of track. Much more fun this time!

Below is a link to a thread where I'm complaining about understeer.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=683359

I should have been careful what I asked for. I decided I was not just going to pass the miata in front of me but I was going to go by it at Mach 4. So I put hammered the throttle through the floor and then this happened.

At least the car and everyone was OK.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
I like the over-correction
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I like the over-correction
Yeah, just a little too much.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
SpeedDemon

Did the car oversteer like that with DSC on??? (traction was off, but DSC on?)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
It wasn't as bad as you made it sound.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
bigjae1976

Quote:
Did the car oversteer like that with DSC on??? (traction was off, but DSC on?)
I turned DSC completely off. I downshifted to third gear and hit the throttle. My lack of throttle control upset the car and caused the oversteer.

I stayed in 4th the rest of the day and everything went much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
It wasn't as bad as you made it sound.
True but I still looked and felt like an idiot.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
SpeedDemon

It's cool, everyone makes mistakes at the track. It's part of learning. You're lucky you have such a safe track to drive at... My local track up in Seattle is almost completely surrounded by barriers or trees (yikes!). Yet we still push it to limit and have a hell of a lot of fun doing it!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
bigjae1976

Quote:
It's cool, everyone makes mistakes at the track. It's part of learning. You're lucky you have such a safe track to drive at... My local track up in Seattle is almost completely surrounded by barriers or trees (yikes!). Yet we still push it to limit and have a hell of a lot of fun doing it!
Tracks in TX seem to be very forgiving. There are 2 turns at Tx World Speedway that you do not want to go off on.

Luckily, I went off in a good spot and it was a great learning experience. Hopefully, I learned from my mistake. Prior events, I could chop the throttle on corner exit and it didn't really matter because my car would understeer and the back end wouldn't hook up and go.

Now it REALLY hooks up out of the corners. The DSC hardly ever comes on now and feels more like a safety tool than the hinderance it was before.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Now we just need to get wider meat on your car.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
bigjae1976

Don't be surprised to see your car on cinder blocks when I get back
Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
Nice,
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
damn i wish i had lsd, shift lock ftw. haha

glad you and the car is alright.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
looks great dude, wish i had an LSD
Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
bigjae1976

The LSD is worth the $$$
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Since having a LSD, I broke 3 personal best lap times at 3 different tracks.

Btw, love the grassy knolls. Tracks in So Cal are dusty and full of rocks.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
bigjae1976

Luckily I went off on the first run because later on that became a mud hole. 2 other cars had to get pulled out of that same area throughout the weekend.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Luckily I went off on the first run because later on that became a mud hole. 2 other cars had to get pulled out of that same area throughout the weekend.
When the car starts to oversteer like that the worst thing you can do is lift because that will really make the back end come around. It looks like you stayed in the throttle like you should have but were way too jerky with the wheel and you upset the car past its limit. This is another reason why I think that people should be careful with dailing out all the understeer, oversteer can be very dangerous!
Glad to see that you and the car are okay though.
A couple of months ago a 997 was totaled coming out of turn 4. If you notice next time you are out there about 50 yards past where you went off the chain link fence is quite messed up from the 911.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
When the car starts to oversteer like that the worst thing you can do is lift because that will really make the back end come around. It looks like you stayed in the throttle like you should have but were way too jerky with the wheel and you upset the car past its limit. This is another reason why I think that people should be careful with dailing out all the understeer, oversteer can be very dangerous!
Glad to see that you and the car are okay though.
A couple of months ago a 997 was totaled coming out of turn 4. If you notice next time you are out there about 50 yards past where you went off the chain link fence is quite messed up from the 911.
Yes, I plan to dial a little more understeer in until I get better. Particularly, smoother on the throttle and more comfortable with the car. I felt pretty comfortable prior to the LSD and camber plates but those upgrades really changed the car. Much faster and a little more twitchy.

I didn't completely lift off but I did lift a little. But I'm sure the fact that I tried to twist the steering off of the steering column didn't help the situation.

Turn 4 was super slick in the rain. I was staying along the outside after it started raining.

Is it more or can TWS can be kind of hairy? Going CCW, turn 1 will put you in a ditch and launch your car then 15 will put you into a concrete wall. Then going CW, there was an S2000 exiting Turn 7, put 2 wheels off, tried to get back on the track which spun the car and then lead to flipping it.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yes, I plan to dial a little more understeer in until I get better. Particularly, smoother on the throttle and more comfortable with the car. I felt pretty comfortable prior to the LSD and camber plates but those upgrades really changed the car. Much faster and a little more twitchy.

I didn't completely lift off but I did lift a little. But I'm sure the fact that I tried to twist the steering off of the steering column didn't help the situation.

Turn 4 was super slick in the rain. I was staying along the outside after it started raining.

Is it more or can TWS can be kind of hairy? Going CCW, turn 1 will put you in a ditch and launch your car then 15 will put you into a concrete wall. Then going CW, there was an S2000 exiting Turn 7, put 2 wheels off, tried to get back on the track which spun the car and then lead to flipping it.
Well going CCW there are less places where concrete walls come into play, that is why they run CCW more often but the track was actually built to be run CW. About a month ago during a PCA event the weather was terrible and there were about 15 cars go off coming thru 4 because of the oversteer (they were going off right)
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #20
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
Well going CCW there are less places where concrete walls come into play, that is why they run CCW more often but the track was actually built to be run CW. About a month ago during a PCA event the weather was terrible and there were about 15 cars go off coming thru 4 because of the oversteer (they were going off right)
It rained for the last day and a half from 3/4 Oct. Most people were going off on Turn 4 and then between 8 and 9. The rest of the track wasn't bad but those 2 turns were pretty slick on the dry line.