E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
BMW C1-E: concept for a higher level of safety in the city.

BMW Motorrad study for urban traffic. BMW C1-E: concept for a higher level of safety in the city

Munich. This is what a safe, environment-friendly and highly practical single track vehicle for city traffic could look like in the future. BMW Motorrad developed the C1-E study as a contribution to the European safety project eSUM. This study unit is based on the concept of the BMW C1. It is characterized by a very high level of active and passive safety and is driven by an electric motor.

The BMW C1-E provides exemplary protection for its rider. This is ensured by the safety cell with the conspicuous roll-over bar which dynamically spans the rider seat in combination with the energy-absorbing impact element at the nose end. A further special point is that the C1-E rider wears a seat-belt. In the study this safety feature is highlighted by red belts and belt buckles.

Visually the concept vehicle expresses brand typical sheer driving pleasure and clearly distinguishes itself from typical scooter looks. Its lines are dynamically stretched and flow horizontally with a low visual centre of gravity. The fairing with its windscreen, the luggage space behind the rider and the side stand for effortless parking ensure high suitability for everyday riding combined with a high degree of wind and weather protection.

The electric motor employed in the study has been designed for city use and is based on components by the company Vectrix. The motor obtains its power from a lithium-ion battery and thus possesses sufficient power for mastering most inner-city traffic riding with ease. Alternatively the vehicle could also be equipped with an efficient, low-emissions internal combustion engine.

The safety features of the C1-E have been taken from the former BMW C1 and further enhanced. BMW's avant-garde two-wheeler is regarded as a milestone in safety on two wheels. It is the only motorised single-track vehicle to be exempt from mandatory helmet wearing in almost all European countries.

This BMW Motorrad study is to remain the only model of its kind. Series production is currently not planned. Nevertheless, findings from the project will find their way into other future developments in the field of single-track vehicles.

eSUM stands for European Safer Urban Motorcycling. It is a cooperation project between major urban European motorcycling centers and motorcycle manufacturers. The cities currently involved in the project include Paris, Rome, Barcelona and London and the manufacturers are BMW and Piaggio.

The advantage of two-wheeled transportation is that it offers a great opportunity for improving the flow of traffic in urban locations. Moreover, it is environmentally friendly and lends itself to individualization. However, the vast majority of accidents occur in urban traffic, in areas where 80 percent of the population live. The idea behind eSum is to look into ways of countering this trend. The joint goal is the identification, development, and practical demonstration of measures which are able to guarantee safe motorcycle and motor-scooter transport in the inner-city traffic of the future.

One of BMW Motorrad's major concerns over the last twenty years has been the improvement of motorcycle safety. This was amply demonstrated by the consistent strategy which has led to the Motorrad ABS and continued with its long-term ongoing development. Only a few weeks ago, on August 31, the 1,000,000th BMW motorcycle with Integral ABS, a BMW K 1300 R, left the production line in Berlin-Spandau.

Since 2005, a series of further active safety features have been developed to enhance the safety BMW motorcycles still further: RDC Tyre Pressure Control, ASC Anti-Slip Control, the new Race ABS and the DTC Traction Control incorporated in the new BMW S 1000 RR, not to mention the innovative range of BMW Motorrad rider equipment.

Over and above this, BMW Motorrad is also conducting research into forward-looking rider assistance systems designed to increased road safety, as part of the ConnectedRide project. Features being looked at include cross-traffic and traffic-light assistance as well as a warning system for impending poor weather, road obstacles, an approaching emergency vehicle, or sudden braking maneuvers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_7.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	334022   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_6.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	334023   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	334024   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	334025  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	334026   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	334027   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-C1-E-concept_1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	334028  
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
tesko.pk

My Ride: 2003 530i
Wow, and I thought scooters couldn't get any girlier.
tesko.pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Stretch it and that thing would look hot!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
neil1138

That seatbelt is pretty intense for a scooter.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
3uroslut

My Ride: 328ci 5speed
no Helmet?
3uroslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS

retarded looking
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
TranceAddict

My Ride: '07 328Xi Coupe
I'd get one just to blow it up and send a recording it exploding to BMW to show them how much they fail with this.