E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
tutran90

My Ride: 2003 325i
2003 325i rough idle and slow acceleration

Hey guys I am having some problems with my 325i passing inspection and some codes. I've been throwing in parts hoping to clear the cel/ses light and i'm running low on funds. Car has 110,xxx miles production date 01/2003. The car sometimes idles rough and accelerates slow, when this happens I turn off the car wait a little bit and the symptoms go away. Although I feel like I have bad gas mileage and performance when it runs "normal" Here are the bmw to "p" codes that were stored:

8 (p0101) Mass air flow circuit range/performance - failed signal range check against predefined diagnostic limits

31 Ignition coil cylinder 5 - DME initiates secondary ignition for each cylinder then looks for feedback through shunt resistor in harness to determine if ignition actually occurred

143 (p1476) EVAP: clamped tube check - frequency of LDP pumps reed switch is lower then predetermined limit. Volume of leak determined to be to small

227 (p0188) Fuel trim Bank 1 o2 control adaptation limit - range control of adaptation values

228 (p0189) Fuel trim Bank 2 o2 control adaptation limit - range control of adaptation values

241 (p0304) Cylinder 4 misfire detected - Crankshaft speed/acceleration is monitored by crank sensor. Time for each cylinder combustion is compared against avg. of others. If time for cylinder 4 is longer, fault will set

243 (p0306) Cylinder 6 misfire detected - Crankshaft speed/acceleration is monitored by crank sensor. Time for each cylinder combustion is compared against avg. of others. If time for cylinder 6 is longer, fault will set

245 (p1423) Secondary air injection flow too low Bank 1 - Checks to see if oxygen sensor reacts to increase in unmetered airflow generated by secondary air pump operation. Oxygen sensor must sense lean condition or fault will set

246 (p1421) Secondary air injection flow too low Bank 2 - Checks to see if oxygen sensor reacts to increase in unmetered airflow generated by secondary air pump operation. Oxygen sensor must sense lean condition or fault will set

I have changed the following parts with either genuine or oem parts only:

secondary air pump valve
vacuum line from secondary air pump valve to electric switch
DISA valve
all 6 spark plugs
all 6 ignition coils
both pre-cat 02 sensors
fuel filter with vacuum line going to upper intake boot

Cleared the codes and a day after light comes up again. I have not been able to pull the bmw fault codes but p0491 and p0492 came up. I have read almost every thread possible and am now leaning towards MAF sensor, idle control valve, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, crankcase ventilation valve, valve cover gasket, fuel injectors, and leak detection pump. Feedback will be appreciated.
tutran90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
You seem to have looked at a lot of potential causes.

Did you see this thread and the information provided by JFOJ? It has links to other threads and refers to some of the links in his sig.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...errerid=154826

Apparently, the brake booster and fuel pump can cause these codes as well.

I had the same P0491 and P0492 codes show up once, but they haven't returned. I have been gathering threads while I wait for them.

Good luck and please post your solution when you resolve the issue.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
tutran90

^

I have looked through those forums as well. I did suspect the fuel pump but wouldnt a failing pump cause my symptoms more frequently? Also its funny how you mentioned the brake booster as a probable cause, my brake booster hose is partially collapsed and was wondering why but there is little information about it. I know the hose goes to the "sucking jet pump" which essentially only holds vacuum. When it comes to stopping power i have no problem braking which i find a little weird. Also these 491 and 492 codes seem to come and go for me as well.

Last edited by Solidjake; 04-11-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Hamsocne

Apparently, the fuel pump can cause infrequent symptoms. From JFOJ's sig.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

The seconds failure mode is a soft fail fuel pump that fails to put out enough pressure and/or fuel volume. These are far harder to identify and symptoms may appear to be intermittent or very minor. In some instances the problems may not even seem fuel related. Surging, poor acceleration, possible lean codes, extended cranking when starting, running out of fuel when the gas gauge shows 1/4 of a tank. Soft fail fuel pumps are not really worth diagnosing in my opinion. For the price of the pump and how easy it is to install, I would just plan on replacing your pump if it is more than 7 years old and you have unidentified driveability problems.

Following links I read the following from JFOJ (I found this in the sixth window so trust me I am following links. I need to organize the links I save better.)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=19

Brake pedal did not seem very hard at this point. CES/SES/MIL was randomly triggering every few weeks for Lean codes, and the Fuel Trims were high so I knew something was up, but had not even started to look under the hood.

But the long of the short is between year 10-12 a lot of these cars may start having brake booster failures leaking vacuum. Some of these failures may not trigger Lean codes or cause a hard brake pedal, but may cause rough idle from time to time and maybe more on cold start...

BMW good or bad, actually triggered Lean Codes far earlier than many other cars, so as much as a PITA this is, it also makes you aware of problems and gets you to fix them typically before they get really bad.

I don't have a rough idle, but my long term fuel trims are inching up. (LTFT1 5.5, LTFT2 6.2) I am going to a car show tomorrow and will take a 45-50 MPH ride and see what I get for LTFTs. How are your fuel trims?

I replaced the SAP vacuum hoses on 3/21/14 and have only driven about 1,200 miles since that time. So I have been looking at other possible failures.

Fast Times, the Bav Auto newsletter has an article about checking the SAP in the Summer 2008 issue. Also, for a video about the valve between the engine and firewall. Even if this isn't helpful, this guy likes his beer and can be funny yet informative.

Edit: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=670441

Last edited by Hamsocne; 04-10-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Hamsocne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
tutran90

^

I am going to take a leap of faith and replace the fuel pump, sap electric switch, brake booster over the weekend. As for the brake booster would u recommend replacing the whole unit or just the vacuum valve since p0491 p0492 are lean codes?

Last edited by Solidjake; 04-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
The leap of faith on the fuel pump and filter is wise.

As for the SAP switch, not sure I would jump on this unless you know 100% sure this is the problem. SAP problems are EASY to resolve. Make sure the pump actually runs and even if it does, make sure it pushes air.

Brake booster, would not suggest replacement at this point unless it is leaking. Replacement is not a hard job, just time consuming and a new OEM booster is around $174 as I recall.

P0101 may be something to pay more attention to if you still have this code.

Intake boots and CCV and assoicated hoses along with possible cracked valve cover are main causes of rough idle.

Smoke testing will find most of the larger leaks, but you need to consider proactive CCV and intake boot replacement.

You need to read the first 2 links below in my signature.

Need to see Freeze Frame info if the SES/CEL/MIL is on and Fuel Trim values at both warm idle and a steady highway cruise between 45-60 MPH.

Read this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1057387

Read my "BMW 20 Questions" comments in this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059972

Search YouTube for Scotty Smoke Test. Do what Scotty does or build a tester from related video. Remove the oil fill cap and make sure the crankcase fills up with smoke, put the oil fill cap back on and check for leaks around the valve cover, oil fill cap, dipstick tube and CCV hoses. Cracked valve covers are pretty common on the E46 as it ages.

Also read this thread about a bad batch of possibly defective CCV valves - http://blog.bavauto.com/15170/bmw-m5...s-ccv-cvv-pcv/

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Hamsocne

Thanks for responding in this thread, JFOJ. The information and help you (and others) provide in this forum is appreciated.

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I went on a drive and noted fuel trims. I observed the following:

Cold Start: Bank 1- 2.3 and Bank 2- 3.9

45 mph: Bank 1- 2.3 and Bank 2- 3.9

Warm Idle at stop light: Bank 1- 3.1 and Bank 2- 3.9

45 mph- 55mph: Bank 1- 3.1 and Bank 2- 3.9 and Bank 1- 3.9 and Bank 2- 4.7

Warm Idle at Destination: Bank 1- 3.9 and Bank 2- 4.7

Way Home: Bank 1- 4.7 and Bank 2- 5.5

Warm Idle at gas station: Bank 1- 3.9 and Bank 2- 5.5

Does this mean anything to either of you?

No codes, gas mileage is normal, and car runs fine. I am just waiting for codes again. About three and five weeks ago I had P0491 and P0492. Before that I had an evap code but I cannot remember the number or find the screen shot. I have freeze frame data from one of those but the engine was cold.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
tutran90

UPDATE: I just pulled the following fault codes below.

p0300 - random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0492 - secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 2
p0491 - secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 1
p1349 - misfire cylinder 4 with fuel cut-off

short term fuel trim bank 1 - 4.7
long term fuel trim bank 1 - 11.7
short term fuel trim bank 2 - 3.9
long term fuel trim bank 2 - 11.7

I just purchased the launchtech creader vii so I have no idea how to use it. Can someone explain and also these misfire codes seem to come and go.
p1352 - misfire during start cylinder 6

Last edited by tutran90; 04-14-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: not done
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutran90 View Post
UPDATE: I just pulled the following fault codes below.

p0300 - random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0492 - secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 2
p0491 - secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 1
p1349 - misfire cylinder 4 with fuel cut-off

short term fuel trim bank 1 - 4.7
long term fuel trim bank 1 - 11.7
short term fuel trim bank 2 - 3.9
long term fuel trim bank 2 - 11.7

I just purchased the launchtech creader vii so I have no idea how to use it. Can someone explain and also these misfire codes seem to come and go.
p1352 - misfire during start cylinder 6
EVERYTHING you have outlined clearly seems to be vacuum leak related in my opinion.

Forget about the P0491/P0492 for the moment, these have very little to do with your misfires and Lean condition unless the hose on the underside of the rear of the intake is broken. If this is the case, the P0491/P0492 codes will solve themselves when you take care of the other problems.

Need to read my comments a few posts back, EVERYTHING you need to know is stated there.

Smoke test is what you should do if you cannot find the vacuum leaks. Smoke testing will make the vacuum leaks STUPID obvious.

The Launch tool is a good tool, but like any of these tools it will not tell you what is wrong or how to fix the problem, it just provides the data/clues you need to get started.

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
bmwerkes
Para-Magic

My Ride: 01 330i, 5 spd
A lot of these codes look air/fuel related. MAF? Intake leaks?
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #11
tutran90

[QUOTE=bmwerkes;16594449]A lot of these codes look air/fuel related. MAF? Intake leaks?[/QUOT

I've already replaced lower boot which was torn at the elbow as well as the vacuum line from upper boot to fuel filter which was brittle and started to tear at the nipple. I can't see or feel any other leaks in the area...the ccv could be the culprit but when engine is running there is no suction when the oil cap is topped off. I just noticed in my driveway that some smoke was coming out of my exhaust when parked and engine temp was normal exactly in the middle and outside temp is not cold...as of now i have no solution and will be taking it to a shop for further diagnosis.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
tutran90

UPDATE: I just replaced the MAF with a new VDO MAF from bavarian autosport and the results were good. Fuel trims are now normal and the acceleration is much better. After driving on the highway at 55+ mph for 10 mins no light. 20 mins later the ses light came back on when I turned the car over only this time all the prior faults cleared except for p1439 - misfire cyl. 4 with fuel cutoff. Is it safe to say the fuel pump is soft failing since all plugs and coils are new? Below is the freeze frame data:

dtc causing freeze frame data storage - p1349
fuel system 1 status - CL
fuel system 2 status - CL
Calculated LOAD value - 0%
engine coolant temp - 167 F
STFT bank 1 - 3.1%
LTFT bank 1 - 10.9%
STFT bank 2 - 2.3%
LTFT bank 2 - 10.9%
engine rpm - 703/min
vehicle speed - 0
ignition timing advance for #1 cylinder - 6.0