E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Airbag recall: Any status updates? Feb 2016

While cleaning out my desk I ran across a letter from BMW of North America informing me that my driver's side airbag is faulty. The letter was dated July of 2015 so I figured after 6 months BMW would have their act together. I called the dealership and they said that the parts weren't available yet. Has anybody heard anything recently about the status of the recall?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
seattle86

My Ride: '03 330 Ci
Called BMW Bellevue back in September, got put on a "list". Called back a couple weeks ago, they don't have the parts, don't know when they're getting the parts, and wouldn't tell me where I was on the list and wouldn't speculate an ETA.

It seems like every day another 1 million cars are added to the list as well. What are we up to, 20+ million cars recalled? It'll take years to build that many replacement air bags. For now I just tell my wife to put the seat back a little bit further and I drive a little more cautiously.
seattle86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I'm waiting for my drivers airbag, got the passenger side done last march, two weeks later it was in an accident.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Darkblue52

My Ride: E46
I just got my passenger side airbag done last week but the driver side isn't available yet
Darkblue52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle86 View Post
For now I just tell my wife to put the seat back a little bit further and I drive a little more cautiously.
You can just disconnect that airbag.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 02-10-2016 at 10:36 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
You can just disconnect that airbag.
I think it's far safer to not do this. The odds of something going wrong with the inflator in an accident are extremely minute.

As for my car, I have an Autoliv airbag on the driver's side since I got an E39 steering wheel so I think I'm fine.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #7
My_BMWe46

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle86 View Post
Called BMW Bellevue back in September, got put on a "list". Called back a couple weeks ago, they don't have the parts, don't know when they're getting the parts, and wouldn't tell me where I was on the list and wouldn't speculate an ETA.

It seems like every day another 1 million cars are added to the list as well. What are we up to, 20+ million cars recalled? It'll take years to build that many replacement air bags. For now I just tell my wife to put the seat back a little bit further and I drive a little more cautiously.
I knew about the recall for the drivers airbag last September (I believe, or around that time), waaaaaay before the dealerships probably knew about it. When I called them, they said that I would need to wait for an official letter in the mail and that is when they would have the parts . I called them again a few months after that and they said the dealership might get the parts around December. I called again in December and they said that they do not have the parts (obviously) and since the majority of problems have to do in high humidity, the states with the most humidity would be the first to get the parts and that it might take a little while for us Californians to get the new drivers airbag. So....basically they do not know, well at least my local dealership doesn't...don't know about others.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Bob K

My Ride: '05 325i
I had my whole fuel tank assembly replaced last month and
they finally replaced the passenger airbag at the same time.
The trick is, if you can hold off on other repairs and have them done under the airbag recall, you get a free loaner car for the whole repairs.
Just a little tip.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I had my whole fuel tank assembly replaced last month and
they finally replaced the passenger airbag at the same time.
The trick is, if you can hold off on other repairs and have them done under the airbag recall, you get a free loaner car for the whole repairs.
Just a little tip.
Nice! I wish I would've done that!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #10
tristero

My Ride: 2004 e46 ZHP convert
I will never never ever eVAR take my car to the dealer for any other repair. (unless they offer to do it for free). As far as airbag recall goes; I bought this car from a private seller in Feb 2015 (knowing about the recall) - I did call the dealer, was put on a "list". I heard back a couple of weeks ago, the sales guy was basically asking me if I was satisfied with my car, or if I was looking to upgrade. . . ... I asked him about the recall, he patched me through to the Service dept, and it went to VM. Way to "sell" me on the idea of doing business with the dev-, er, I mean, dealer. Anyway, the service guy impressed me, because they actually DID call back. Yes, they confirmed that I am, indeed, on their "list", and that when they get the parts in, they will call me.

So yeah. Basically, it's never gonna happen. I figure, every time I drive, I'm risking getting into an accident, and blasted in the face. But hey, chicks dig scars!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #11
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
I'm interested to see if this "list" actually exists. They put me on the "list" too.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #12
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliplong View Post
I'm interested to see if this "list" actually exists. They put me on the "list" too.
I know, I try to avoid the stealership, but considering this is a recall and they do the job for free, I mean, why not go to them? As far as this "list" goes, that is why I called and will continue to call so many times. I was placed on "the list" at my local stealership and since I wanted to get the passenger airbag replaced as soon as I possibly could, I kept calling every week from when I first got the mail about the recall until they finally got the part. They were "nice" enough to bump me a few spots on the list and was able to get the airbag replaced on that upcoming weekend . I was on a list at another local stealership and they never called me when they had the part available. I think this "list" is basically a generic letter sent to you saying that the part is in stock at that stealership at no particular order. First come first serve I guess .

I would keep calling every once in a while to see if they have the part available.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
SoCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Its been a year and yet no new modules have filtered out to any dealers anywhere, right? A cynical part of me thinks BMW isn't really manufacturing more driver side airbags for us since itll be so expensive, and is hoping the government/owners just forget about the issue eventually if they stall long enough.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
SoCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Yeah. This thing has been dragging on forever. I first called my local dealer after receiving the notice a year ago. Nothing since. Whatever I don't care anymore.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
SoCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
and this just popped up today: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/11/b...akata-airbags/

Newer BMWs for their drivers side airbag. Now I wonder if they will get the same treatment we have having to wait over a year (or forever), or will they magically get theirs replaced soon while we are still waiting.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
SoCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #16
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_BMWe46 View Post
I knew about the recall for the drivers airbag last September (I believe, or around that time), waaaaaay before the dealerships probably knew about it. When I called them, they said that I would need to wait for an official letter in the mail and that is when they would have the parts . I called them again a few months after that and they said the dealership might get the parts around December. I called again in December and they said that they do not have the parts (obviously) and since the majority of problems have to do in high humidity, the states with the most humidity would be the first to get the parts and that it might take a little while for us Californians to get the new drivers airbag. So....basically they do not know, well at least my local dealership doesn't...don't know about others.
If your dealer hadn't heard about it last Sept he must really be out of the loop, mine was done a year ago. Just waiting for the drivers.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #17
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
If your dealer hadn't heard about it last Sept he must really be out of the loop, mine was done a year ago. Just waiting for the drivers.
LOL, they knew about passengers, but not the driver's at that time.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #18
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalZman View Post
and this just popped up today: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/11/b...akata-airbags/

Newer BMWs for their drivers side airbag. Now I wonder if they will get the same treatment we have having to wait over a year (or forever), or will they magically get theirs replaced soon while we are still waiting.
Of course not! Newer BMWs will get their airbags replaced as soon as they possibly can because sales could be affected. While us e46 owners are waiting patiently for our drivers airbag. Which, in my opinion is more important than the passengers.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #19
325ie4601

My Ride: 03 325i
I scheduled an appointment for my airbag recall this coming up Monday, my local dealer has both of them, driver and passenger.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
325ie4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #20
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ie4601 View Post
I scheduled an appointment for my airbag recall this coming up Monday, my local dealer has both of them, driver and passenger.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
WHAT!? Lucky you!! I wish my local dealer had the driver's side airbag, hopefully they will have it soon.