E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
shootthehorses

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
New front door speakers

I blew one of the front door woofers on my 2002 325i sedan with H/K sound system.

After ruminating far too long as to a replacement, I headed to my friendly local auto stereo installer and got their recommendation. I ended up getting a pair of Alpine SPS-610C component speakers. The all up cost, including installation and tax, was $205.35, which was a damn site cheaper than OEM replacements or Bav Sound (sorry guys, but you're expensive). I dropped the car off at 8, they gave me a ride to work, and the car was done by 10.

Yes, they are 2-way and not 3-way speakers. Big deal. I was into high-end home audio for years and always preferred a good two-way to a three-way anyway. The installer put the new tweeters where the old ones were (by the upper door/A-pillar), the woofers in the old location, and left the old midranges in place but unplugged so there wasn't a big hole in the door. The new speakers sound AT LEAST as good as the original system or better.

The installer left the old speakers in the car for me to see. The HK drivers are no great shakes. Paper cones, small magnets, and what looks to be a $1.00 tweeter with a 10 cent resistor as a crossover.

The point of this long-winded post is not to stress out about replacement speakers. Any decent after market system should be better than the "high-end" factory version. If I really wanted the best, I'd probably get McIntosh car electronics and MB quart or Focal drivers, but then the system would be worth twice as much as the car.

I'm just glad to have my music back without it sounding like an elephant raping a cat.

shootthehorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
I'm at a crossroads. My front speakers are starting to buzz and rattle. So much easier to replace them with a proper 2-way component. I think your findings have reaffirmed my money is better spent on a 2-way component set with some proper power behind them, than a 3-way set.

lamsv: 2001 HELLROT on BLACK 325iT
lamsv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
shootthehorses

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
That's exactly what my speakers were doing, and it became unbearable over the weekend. I'm happy I went the 2-way route, and that it was much more affordable than some of the alternatives. I only got to listen to them for 30 minutes or so during my lunch hour, but they can get loud to the point of pain (not distorted, just LOUD) with the standard H/K amp driving them. That tells me they are relatively efficient and the factory amp has more than adequate power.
shootthehorses is offline   Reply With Quote