E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
LLCoolJeff

My Ride: '99 323i 4d
how to get radio code

I think im going to disconnect my battery to reset the radio. I was told it might help my isimple to tart working correctly. However, I need the radio code. I know I can call the dealer with the erial number, but I would like to do this tonight and the dealer is already closed.

Any ideas?
LLCoolJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolJeff View Post
I think im going to disconnect my battery to reset the radio. I was told it might help my isimple to tart working correctly. However, I need the radio code. I know I can call the dealer with the erial number, but I would like to do this tonight and the dealer is already closed.

Any ideas?
I have taken mine out several times after removing the battery. If I remember, you have to enable it. If you have the owners manual with the stereo manual, the code should be written on it. Just from my personal experience, even in my E36 with the radio code...I never had a problem. Matter of fact, few months ago, I changed my OEM BMW battery out....no issues with the stereo.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
LLCoolJeff

Im not sure exactly what you just said. Are you telling me that if i disconnect the battery it will not then ask me for a radio code on startup?

Also, I have the manual and the stereo manual. I looked through all the documentation and there is not radio code anywhere. However in the stereo manual i found a card with this info.....

Radiopass BMW
Business CD
model #"BP8272" Serial # "number here" Safety Number "this one is blank"

Im assuming the safety number is the radio code? it is left blank
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
The radio fuse....try to pull the fuse out then put it back in and see if that works before disconnecting the battery
Quote:

Any ideas?
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
LLCoolJeff

why, what is the reasoning behind that?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
bond0007

My Ride: 2001 330i
hey guys, i have a harmon Kardon system in my e46.. I didnt get a radio card with my black portfolio consisting of like 3 other manuals.

What does the code look like(ie. how many digits..etc)

thanks
bond0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Every time my isimple starts to goof off I reset it buy pulling the fuse from the radio...then everything works fine again...not saying it will work for you but worth a try...takes 10 seconds to do and its safer then disconnecting the battery

Quote:
why, what is the reasoning behind that?
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
LLCoolJeff

i just tried pulling the fuses and it still didnt work. Heres my situation, i hooked up the isimple and switched over to the cd changer, it displays cd 1-01. is thi what yours says while the isimple is playing???? i have tried to switch to other cd's (like 2-6) and it wont change the "1"-01. when i click track forward on the stereo my ipod switches tracks, so everything is connected but no music...

Im getting extremely fed up with this since the first isimple i bought fried my ipod and I had to wait for them to ship me replacements and now I cant get this ****ing one to work. Im about to jump off a cliff.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Zimasha

My Ride: E46 328i 1999
Give me the units serial number and i wll try getting the code for u
Zimasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
LLCoolJeff

well ive come to the conclusion that my headunit does not need a code because that is what it said in the stereo manual, it called it an anti theft code. I also read it somewhere else that no e46 needs radio code, but i find that hard to believe since it is talked about on here quite a bit.

I have disconnected by battery in order to reset it and get to the code but it didn't even work, it never asked me for the code and the radio just started up as usual.

But i will give the serial number just in case, the card reads like this

Model = BP8272
Serial = W1822684
Safety-Nr = blank
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Business HUs in E46s don't need a code. OEM radios in E36s and E30s did, however, need a code.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
or, you post the serial number and type of radio i.e. alpine, blaupunkt, etc. and i'll pm you the radio code
Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
My '03 came with an untouched owners manual set but didn't include a code card for the Business CD. There was no mention or printed codes in the head unit manual. Mine has the flashing LED that indicates to thieves, should it be removed (read disconnect from power) the unit will be rendered useless without the code. Huh?

So what is the deal with these? Do you only need a code after long term power off or is there an internal capacitor keeping channel presets and codes alive awhile for battery swaps and convenience?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
well ive come to the conclusion that my headunit does not need a code because that is what it said in the stereo manual, it called it an anti theft code. I also read it somewhere else that no e46 needs radio code, but i find that hard to believe since it is talked about on here quite a bit. .............
That's correct, the E46 HU does not use or need a security code to work.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
bond0007

My Ride: 2001 330i
so what is the story with e46s that need no radio codes? wouldnt thieves like that?
bond0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond0007 View Post
so what is the story with e46s that need no radio codes? wouldnt thieves like that?
Thieves looking for car stereos would more than likely target high end after market units that can be used in other cars, unless the thief was also an E46 owner the OEM headunit would be pretty much useless to them.
Anyway, you'd have more chance of your car being stolen or vandalised than just the head unit being stolen.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
MGB009

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
Every time my isimple starts to goof off I reset it buy pulling the fuse from the radio...then everything works fine again...not saying it will work for you but worth a try...takes 10 seconds to do and its safer then disconnecting the battery
Custom3, Did you ever get you isimple working properly? I was going to pull the trigger on one of the SoundByte units after all the issues I have seen with the dice kit. But now I see that there are plenty of issues with the isimple kit as well. Let me know how its working out for you.
MGB009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Alpine: 41512
Blaupunkt: 66353
try one of those

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
milos ostojic

My Ride: bmw e46 2000
i have an bmw e46 2000 318i and i have changed my battery and my radio does not work it says WAIT when i turn on the radio and it does not go away so i dont know what to do i went to a mechanic and they have said i need to put in a code but i cannot find it but i have heard that e46 bmw do not require a code so i am lost and if i do need the code is their any other way of getting it other then going to a dealer?? plz help
milos ostojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
brouwek

My Ride: 01 330ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by milos ostojic View Post
i have an bmw e46 2000 318i and i have changed my battery and my radio does not work it says WAIT when i turn on the radio and it does not go away so i dont know what to do i went to a mechanic and they have said i need to put in a code but i cannot find it but i have heard that e46 bmw do not require a code so i am lost and if i do need the code is their any other way of getting it other then going to a dealer?? plz help
Did you find a solution...I woke up one morning to "WAIT" and have not found a solution online. Also, it has not asked me for a code.
brouwek is offline   Reply With Quote