E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
OEM Clear Kit Installation Photos/Guide Supplement

This was the final mod I wanted to accomplish [for the time being ]. First was P46 w/ Orion 2, then I got the UUC tse3 exhaust... now I completed the look i had in mind with the oem clear kit mod.

This is a very straightforward mod, but I would like to add some commentary for people considering it themselves.

For the purpose of the write-up, I will put all the text first with a picture or two and post the the remainder mad fury of photos at the end.

Clear Corners [front of car]
--------------------------

Very easy, can do it by yourself in 10mins/side tops. Note that the original yellow housing has a white bulb, the new clear housing has a yellow bulb. You can swap out the entire bulb carrier with the new one, or just swap yellow bulbs into the old light carrier. Not a big deal. I ante'd up for the silver finish amber glowing bulbs. I love the no-egg-yolk-yellow look, it's a very clean finish.

I found the oem fitment was not perfect. Passenger side corner took considerable amount more effort to put back correctly, not sure why. In the end it looks fine though.

Side Markers
-------------------

This simple diy seems to cause alot of confusion with respect to HOW to remove it. I have found an easy solution and at the same time would like to correct a well known online FAQ.

http://www.my330i.com/mod31.php

A very helpful website, start at the top, Step #1. It tells you to "Slide the side markers towards the rear of the car and remove from the fender (Photo A)". This is absolutely incorrect, and even the picture they post disagrees with the written instruction. To remove the sidemarker, you have to pull it towards the front/hood of the car. I will post a picture below to illustrate.

Most likely your side markers will have adhered to the car nicely, creating a difficult bond to break when it comes time to remove them. Easiest and safest way to take care of this is to use a soft laminated card of some sort [like a membership card]. It should have soft edges... simply lift up one side of the side marker away from the body, and slip the card in. work your way around separating the side marker from the body of the car. This should make it easier for the next step, which is to move the side marker in the direction of the front of the car. It will require some force but by no means man-handling it. Move it a few millimeters, this will be enough to engage the spring clip and create space for you to pull it out. See the pics below. [enjoy the fabulous drafting ]

After removal it's easy, just hold onto the power connector for the bulb carrier so it doesn't fall into the body panel. If you have a buddy with you, this is where he/she comes in to hold this connector while you swap bulbs/side markers.

Tail Lights
-------------------

These are easy to do as well, but will require 2 people total to complete. One person will be outside preventing the original tail light from falling out and holding the new one in place while the other person works from inside the trunk to ratchet it tight.

To remove the original tail lights, you will have to do some redecorating inside, such as moving around trunk lining and removing the plastic treys on both sides of the trunk.

Be sure to pay attention to alignment of the new tail light because it's very easy to put it in wrong [uneven gaps, etc]. There are 3 bolts that will require a 10mm ratchet wrench, and you can't just do 1,2,3... you will need to hop around and tighten as needed to get the new light to fit correctly. We used state-of-the-art high tech shims/spacers to get it right. This consisted of a torn up box of golden grahams, and folding the cardboard strips as needed to get the right spacing.

***NOTE: For the 3rd lower-most bolt for the main taillight assembly, a magnet is necessary so that the nut doesn't fall after you separate it from the bolt. This bolt is difficult to reach by hand so have a reasonably powerful magnet with you before completing this task.

Trunk lights are much easier, just remove 4 lining clips, and each reverse light uses only 1 bolt.

Minor Concerns [silver finish amber bulbs]
---------------------------------------

My only concern is the light output of the silver finish bulbs. The original setup was very bright, no worries of light output or whether people will notice them. The new silver finish bulbs are noticeably dimmer. There will be absolutely no issues at night... but in bright daylight i worry someone may not immediately notice my turn signal. I'm still debating weather or not to keep them. The pictures below should illustrate my concern pretty well:

The above photo is taken in a garage and exposure is im sure adjusted for the light. notice how the remaining picture is not noticeably underdeveloped? This would mean that the light isn't bright enough to overpower the image [original yellows i bet would have] so in brighter outdoor conditions i hope visibility wont be an issue.

The side marker isn't that bright either.

Can you see a significant difference between on and off? garage door was opened so there was a decent amount of light on the tail lights. What do you guys think?

Rest of the photos (in no particular order)
----------------------------------------

clear kit corner, notice the difference in the label between this one and the original yellow corner below [ece vs sae]

Above picture , look at the hood, the card i used was an old laminated block buster membership card haha. [cant forget to give props to autozone bucket ]

GEPRUFT3177 sticker left for authenticity hehe

Bolt that requires a magnet is the upper-right one.

I took the opportunity to clean up the contact surface.

Repeated

Repeated

Repeated

Repeated

I hope you enjoyed the write-up and photos. Feel free to ask questions and i'll do my best to answer.

Last edited by daedalus34r; 10-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Good stuff dude.

I have eagle eye tail lights and DEPO side markers and clear corners, no problem with them.

OEM is still the best anyways
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
daedalus34r

I have heard good thing about depo corners and tails... but mixed results over the side markers. I was comfortable with oem clear corners [and was inclined to spend the extra money] so it was the best choice for me. But yea, can't go wrong with depo [P46s FTW ]
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
where did you get the corners and rear lights from??
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
daedalus34r

i purchased the entire oem clear kit set from turnermotorsport.com . They were backordered for almost 3 months but I was thoroughly pleased with tms's response and correspondence, they did as best they could and responded to my constant stream of update requests [too much anticipation hehe]
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
daedalus34r

Two of the photos were not showing up, so here they are:

Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
aerslan

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Great work, guys like you give bmw owners a good name. Most apreciated

aerslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerslan View Post
Great work, guys like you give bmw owners a good name. Most apreciated
Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
very nice write up. One thing i do to make sure i dont run into the stuck sidemarker is to always take them out when cleaning the car and wax that area as well. Dirt does build up behind them. I notice a small gap with my corners even with them being OEM; it takes patience to adjust them correctly. Sometimes this meant adding a washer or removing the metal clip on the back of the corner where the screws tightens to. (just a thought)

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i got mine from turner perfect fit both sidemarker and front clears
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote