E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
XI......what setup would you install and why?

So the XI is in need of a new setup. Time to do away with that 4x4 look. A little background, it will be my daily driver. I commute about 360 miles per week with it, so am looking for something that is not bone-jarring. I have KW V2 coilovers on my 135 and love them. I have HR Race springs and Billies on my E30 M3 and they are a great setup too.

So from these options, what would prove comfortable, reliable, and suited for a daily driver while still getting rid of that aweful fender gap.

- HR Sport Springs - Bilstein Sports (Tried and true, although most agree it is a tad bit harsh)

- HR Coilovers (Any reviews?)

- KW coilovers (a bit salty at $1450 for only the V1s and some have said poor quality issues on front struts)

Looking to make a decision in the next 24hrs so that I can order the kit and install the new setup this weekend.

Thanks all!!

Mark M
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
i roll with no springs for the ultimate drop!!!!
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
but in all honesty i think i would take coilovers over springs and shock since they are matched and usually can be adjusted
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
^ not sure why you are responding in this thread as you dont have an xi.

Mark,
I am interested in this as well. I am leaning towards the H&R coilover from TurnerMotorSports.com because they have a great reputation and have a race history and only back great products. My advice would be to call them, talk to drew and get more information on theirs because the website doesn't mention much about them other than they are blueprinted for turner to their specifications.

The other option would be the H&R sport springs matched to either Koni adjustables or Bilstein Sport Shocks.

Seeing the experience ///A had with his KW's im going to stay away from those.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Mark M

Agreed, from what I have also read about ///A's experience with KWs I am leary to go that route. However, that said, the KWs on my 135 are phenomenal.

Sounds like a plan, I will call Turner and ask about the HR Coilover setup. Although I can't find anyone who is running them. Odd. But the price is much better than the outrageous $1450 for KW.

Will keep ya posted....I plan on making the move here soon...want to do the wrenching this weekend.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
msb10378

My Ride: 2002 330XI
I have the HR Sport Springs - Bilstein Sports setup and have to say it is a little stiff for the roads around Boston.
msb10378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Yeah, I just did HR Sport Springs with my OEM shocks...then I realized that the DINAN shock/spring pack is not very expensive, I wish I did that.

I stayed away from coil overs because you will have major problems if you drop an xi too low.

Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Mark M

Out of curiosity I opted to try the HR Coilover setup. Several have said that the standard HR springs and Bilstein shocks rode too harsh. This is likely due to the lack of damper travel due to lowered springs on shorter shocks.

Whereas the HR Coilovers and all coilovers maintain the original travel length for the dampers while still enabling me to adjust how low I choose to go. Mild to wild, however I will error on the side of caution and don't plan on going too low, maybe 1.5" / 1.25" all around. The other benefit of a coiover setup is the springs and dampers are tuned to work together.

I will do the install this weekend and report back to the group! Wdeerfield, I'll let ya know how this package works out.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Hey Mark was very interested in this setup as well, have looked into the different options and trying to figure out what will be the best option for both continued drive-ability while at the same time moving away from the 4x4 look.

Best of the luck with the install and looking forward to pics and review.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
wdeerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Out of curiosity I opted to try the HR Coilover setup. Several have said that the standard HR springs and Bilstein shocks rode too harsh. This is likely due to the lack of damper travel due to lowered springs on shorter shocks.

Whereas the HR Coilovers and all coilovers maintain the original travel length for the dampers while still enabling me to adjust how low I choose to go. Mild to wild, however I will error on the side of caution and don't plan on going too low, maybe 1.5" / 1.25" all around. The other benefit of a coiover setup is the springs and dampers are tuned to work together.

I will do the install this weekend and report back to the group! Wdeerfield, I'll let ya know how this package works out.
awesome. definitely let me know how you make out. I want to drop the xi but have the snapped control arm fear that ///a encountered. If you could, take a before and after from about 2 feet off the ground from the side of the car. that would be much appreciated if you could. turner may have another purchase coming if yours turns out how they say it will on their site.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Mark M

Snapped control arm? Never heard that one. Please elaborate?

Only concerns I had heard from going too low is the premature wear it might induce on the front CV joints/boots. However I don't plan on slamming it low. I just prefer a tasteful drop, like ~1.5 front and ~1.25 rear. My main reason for trying the coilovers is that most people confirmed the standard HR sport springs and Bilstein shocks are quite stiff for everyday use.

Oh, I did not order from Turner. I tried, but they could not gaurentee delivery this week for my install this Saturday. However an alternative source, say vendor 'Mod', was able to match the price and guarentee delivery this week. I really wanted to give Turner the business, after all I was ordering Monday noon EST and yet they could not guarentee Fri delivery??
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
No one has ever snapped a control arm by lowering a BMW. Proof?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
wdeerfield

ok so not a snapped control arm. but definite problems http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=548

Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Mark M

Morning all, sitting here on a rainy Sunday morning with my cup of coffee, still a bit sore from wrenching the install yesterday.

To recap, I ordered the H&R Street Performance Coilovers for my 2002 325xi. My goal was to modestly lower the car while enhancing the feel of the suspension and still maintain a comfortable ride. With my daily commute, I put about 17,000 miles on it a year and keeping it comfortable was a strong concern.

With comfort as a key concern, that is why I did not opt for the H&R springs with Bilstein shock combo....many on here reported it too stiff or firm. The other contenders for the xi were the KW V1 or the H&R Street Perf coilovers. Personally, I felt the KWs were a bit over priced for my needs, this car will not see track time, and I really wanted to keep spending in check. The H&R coilovers were more expensive than I initially wanted to spend, but the freedom to adjust my ride height was a key benefit.

Ok, with the H&R coilovers delivered, now time for the install.

Saturday morning I dived into it. Fronts first. Install was not too bad, fairly straight forward. Things to note, you will need to carry over the bumpstops from the old struts and also trim it. The stock bumpstop is about 2.5 inches in length. I trimmed an inch off and reassembled it all. Setting/adjusting the front ride height was easy and could even be done on the jack with the tire still bolted on.

On to the rears. Again, the rear install was fairly simple and straight forward also. Of note, the rear adjustable spring perches are a bit awkward to fit. I had to raise the rear suspension travel upward to enable enough clearance between the rear half-shaft and the lower swing arm to fit the base of the adjuster. Also, recommend getting a medium length 8mm allen socket. You will need this to perform the rear height adjustment as it will allow you clearnace along side of the half-shaft.

Now for the ride and feel of the kit. I took it out in the rain last night and put about 40 miles on it. So far, it feels great, not too stiff or bone jarring over bumps, pot holes etc, very confortable and sporty. But it also keeps very flat and composed in the turns. Plus I love how I no longer have that annoying rear end squat when I accelerate. Currently I am running the stock 16" rims in 205/55 Michelin all seasons, so I can't really comment on cornering behavior yet. But 18" shoes with sticky rubber is on order.

So, I will report more in the coming week or so, but for now....I am very pleased with the kit.

Mark M
Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Great, helpful report Mark. Sounds like you chose the right setup. How much did you lower front and rear from stock?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Mark M

Thanks!

She is lowered about 1.5" front and 1.25" rear.

However, when the new 18" CSL reps show up, then I will fine tune the ride height and have her alligned. Plus pics will follow on here. Give me another two weeks to wrap it all up.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Cool33

My Ride: Modded E46 330xi
Nice write-up, Mark. Waiting for the pics (did you finally do a before/after shoot ?). BTW, in your options, you forgot the H&R sport + Koni Yellow struts, wich I have and can be very compliant when set to soft or 1/4 turn to soft. Anyway, congrats on your purchase... let us know how it feels on 18".

Cool33
Cool33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
jessief29812

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
Can't wait for pics. Maybe I will also go this route. Does anyone have any information on eibach springs?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #19
Mark M

I've ordered the rims from a fellow forum member on 1addicts, so hopefully they will be on my door step by mid next week.

(18" VMR CSL Reps in Hypersilver)

I've also picked up a new set of front control arm bushings last night. With the install of the H&R coilovers the worn LCABs are much more pronounced. Gonna plan to install them Sat morning. Hope all goes well.

Next mods, some DDM P46 HIDs and clear lights all around.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
wdeerfield

nice mark, moving right along! sounds like the car is headed in a great direction. what color is your xi? ive got steel gray with hyperblack csl's. the hypersilver should look great!