E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
ketnerza

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Coupe
DISA Issues

Okay, so I went to clean my Idle Control valve this afternoon and when I removed my DISA, I came across what I suspect is a major issue.

When I pulled it out, it had no spring action to it at all (like the spring is just not there) and it looked like this:

As you can see, the pin had started to come out of the top.

My questions are:
How close was I to catastrophic failure?

Can I just remove the flap and drive the car until I can get the replacement DISA?

If so, how do I remove the flap?

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this, thank you!
ketnerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
First of all, this section on the DISA valve will answer a lot of questions: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616. Common issue, and you can run a couple searches for DISA failure if you want to see others' experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketnerza View Post
How close was I to catastrophic failure?
Your DISA stopped doing its job some time ago, but have seen others in much worse condition. The rear DISA pin falling off into the intake and then running the engine afterwards would probably classify as catastrophic failure, but the best chance of losing the pin is during removal. Butterfly plate can break off if severely worn, but it looks like it's still attached fairly well. Good you caught things now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketnerza View Post
Can I just remove the flap and drive the car until I can get the replacement DISA?

If so, how do I remove the flap?
Absolutely, remove the flap until you repair/replace the DISA. You'll also want to get a new o-ring. New OE DISA will run you around $250-$300, or you can rebuild it with upgraded parts from German Auto Solutions (G.A.S.) for $80: http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b...repair_kit.php. Here's their DIY on removal, as well: http://www.germanautosolutions.com/d...sa_kit_diy.php.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
ketnerza

Thank you!

I really appreciate your help.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
You're welcome. I'm sure there are a few other links I'm missing, but that first one should launch you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forums.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
The GAS is the highest quality kit out there, but also the most expensive.
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, try this one.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...it-e46-e53-e83
^ You can also find this kit on ebay

I've had it in my car for over 5000 miles and it's working fine. Removal, repair, and re-installation of everything took ~30 minutes

Best of luck

Last edited by Kye7; 05-12-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
ketnerza

Thanks!

My question with these kits is: will they restore the spring action that is missing from mine?

I'm having trouble finding exactly where the spring is located, but mine seemed to be disconnected.