E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #41
fj1200

My Ride: 2004 BMW 320i
Fog light

Hello,
I want to add fron fog lights on my 2004 BMW 320i, i didn't buy the kit, i bought the fog lights used and bought the LCM and the relay and the fuse, i read few threads but i still not sure about the relay parts,how to hook the relay to the fuse box. anyone can help with some pics?
Thank you
J
fj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
So it was a little over a year ago that I did the modification to activate both rear fog lamps that are factory pre-configured on all E46 BMW cars from 1998 thru 9/2001. The DIY cost me literally around $30 (required were bulbs, 20 gauge wiring, and the euro rear fog LKM) and the work took less than 2 hrs to complete.

A year later and it is one of my favorite and most effective mod for what it does: first stunning and then warding off annoying tailgaters and truckers.

It is also a great winter time modification for making your car's rear end more visible to other motorists on the road during snow and rain storms.

Tail Lamps Off-Parked:

Tails On-Normal Driving:

Rear Fogs On-Back off/Do not tail gate.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #43
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Yep, too bad when you replace your LCM for OEM LEDs the dealer flash disables it. My 2001 has the swtich, the light wired to pin 49, but no dice. I wanted it for tailgaters myself.
OEM Euro folding mirrors | OEM LED retrofit & Euro LCM | V-CSL diffuser (fits like S) | misc cosmetics
Soon: CSL Intake

Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #44
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
Yep, too bad when you replace your LCM for OEM LEDs the dealer flash disables it. My 2001 has the swtich, the light wired to pin 49, but no dice. I wanted it for tailgaters myself.
BMW changed the code at some point to disallow rear fogs on US spec cars. Pretty easy to fix if you've got the right tools
Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #45
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
With non-OEM (Eagle Eye) LED tails, I should be able to do this?

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #46
Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
With non-OEM (Eagle Eye) LED tails, I should be able to do this?
yes if you have the right year coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
BMW changed the code at some point to disallow rear fogs on US spec cars. Pretty easy to fix if you've got the right tools
yea, I am aware they changed it on later cars. What tools are available to consumers that could change the value?
OEM Euro folding mirrors | OEM LED retrofit & Euro LCM | V-CSL diffuser (fits like S) | misc cosmetics

Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #47
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
2002 330xi sedan, not coupe.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #48
Brilliant

Quote:
2002 330xi sedan, not coupe.
IIRC they stopped 'allowing' the feature when reprogrammable LCMs came in 09/2001. It can be flashed to allow it, but I dont know any consumer tools that can. I havent looked though either. I know of some that can flash the ECU, but not sure about the LCM.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #49
Rickna

Quote:
IIRC they stopped 'allowing' the feature when reprogrammable LCMs came in 09/2001. It can be flashed to allow it, but I dont know any consumer tools that can. I havent looked though either. I know of some that can flash the ECU, but not sure about the LCM.

Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't buy any parts. I do know of a guy in PA that does LCM flasing. But it's not worth it right now, besides I have too much maintenance work to do anyway.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #50
Brilliant

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't buy any parts. I do know of a guy in PA that does LCM flasing. But it's not worth it right now, besides I have too much maintenance work to do anyway.
Any idea what he's using?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #51
Rickna

Quote:
Any idea what he's using?
I don't know what software, but this is the guy- TerraPhantm .

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #52
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
you ONLY replace the the faceplate not the entire LKM.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #53
Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
you ONLY replace the the faceplate not the entire LKM.
Not for OEM LED retrofit, as I said.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #54
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:

yea, I am aware they changed it on later cars. What tools are available to consumers that could change the value?
PM me and I'll try to help you out

As you can see in this post I did manage to enable it on a 2003 sedan. Those pics were taken with my original LCM. Currently I'm running one from 09/2005 and it's still possible.

Quote:
hey I know you said you don't want to do it right now, but if you change your mind, let me know. I'm going to be in the area next week anyway

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #55
johnca
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 Slow CSL
I love your DIY
Old 12-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #56
Rickna

TerraPhantm flashed my LCM last week. He determined that the rear fogs are pre wired. I'm just waiting for the switch to arrive from the UK.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #57
mikeyb74

My Ride: Jet Black 01 325xit
Send a message via AIM to mikeyb74
Another DIY Mod to put on my list. I was just browsing ebay uk for the switch but they are holy crap expensive. From $40 to $150.

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently
swell to lure folks out of those cumbersome utes." -Car and Driver

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.
mikeyb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #58
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Another DIY Mod to put on my list. I was just browsing ebay uk for the switch but they are holy crap expensive. From $40 to $150.
The shipping's expensive too. Do what I did-Wait a few weeks then look again...I managed to get one for around $40 shipped.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #59
mikeyb74

My Ride: Jet Black 01 325xit
Send a message via AIM to mikeyb74
Quote:
The shipping's expensive too. Do what I did-Wait a few weeks then look again...I managed to get one for around $40 shipped.
I'll keep an eye on ebay for the next few weeks. I wonder if an euro member might have a spare laying around. The headlamp aim control is for factory HID equiped cars correct?

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently
swell to lure folks out of those cumbersome utes." -Car and Driver

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 01-19-2011 at 10:22 AM.
mikeyb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #60
Rickna

[quote=mikeyb74;12706324]I'll keep an eye on ebay for the next few weeks. I wonder if an euro member might have a spare laying around. The headlamp aim control is for factory HID equiped cars correct?[/quote]
Not sure on that. I have auto leveling headlights.

My_Mods_&_Stuff