E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #41
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
The OEM location doesn't vibrate at all and it is shielded from road noise.
I was on it tonight with the sun roof tilted-open and still my person on the other end didn't hear any road noise. The worse I heard is someone said I sounded like I was far away (a.k.a hollow effect) but it wasn't an issue for them or me.

Actually the Voice Dial feature paired with the Blackberry 8900 is alot better (as in feature rich) than I'd thought. I just discovered a few more voice command features that I now have at the press of the steering wheel "voice" button.

I can summon the voice to tell me my Blackberry's full status (battery life, signal strength and the data/phone connection status, etc...)
Ok, so you actually mounted the mic inside the ceiling where the oem mic goes ... ?

I talked with the sales guy today from ACS but they were closed today for Remeberance day. I hope to get things sorted tomorrow.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #42
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Ok, so you actually mounted the mic inside the ceiling where the oem mic goes ... ?
Yup, It is flawless in that location. PM me your telephone number and I will call you to demonstrate how flawless it is.

I'm extremely pleased with my kit especially after I discovered I can do this;

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #43
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Voice Dialing DOES work with the iPhone! I just tested it out. It actually uses the iPhone's voice control. You press the speech / phone button and it'll activate the iPhone's voice control.

You don't need to program the CK3000's voice commands / keywords or do a data push.

Last edited by sycE46; 11-12-2009 at 10:39 PM.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #44
steve.325i

Delmarco: OMG your car sounds sweet! You don't have a stock exhaust do you? Thanks for the offer but it will be long distance on your cell. I will pm you anyway. Maybe I can call you.

sycE46: awe man, I was just teasing my buddy @ work today about yet another iPhone limitation ... it's an ongoing arguement. Of course his usual answer is "There is an app for that". Now I will have to conceed tomorrow. Very cool that voice works for you.

I talked to ACS today. They are going to ship me the correct radio interface. I guess I can route my mic cable while I wait for it to arrive - lol

Ok, so back to the mic. I understand that it can be mounted INSIDE the ceiling liner. I assume you guys have fastened it so the mic is like an upside down T right to the vent opening. What did you do? Glue it? Tape it? ???
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #45
egrampp

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Guys, thanks for the help with this kit the write-ups are great however I have a Ck3100, anybody have any idea how similar the installs are or arent? Im installing the kit in 04 330 so iIm not really sure what im getting into here. Im not even sure which harness i would need
Any help would be great
thanks
egrampp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #46
sycE46

With the CK3100, there's a display that you mount somewhere on your dash. The Connects2 wiring harness doesn't work with the CK3100 (from what I've read). I'm not sure about other ones.

easiest solution to installing it would be to get an ISO wiring harness made for the bmw. There's a picture of on the bottom of post #17.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=17

Otherwise, installing the CK3100 should be really similar.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #47
delmarco

Quote:
Delmarco: OMG your car sounds sweet! You don't have a stock exhaust do you? Thanks for the offer but it will be long distance on your cell. I will pm you anyway. Maybe I can call you.

I've been trying to tell the knuckle heads over the the general forums that my car sounds unusually beefy like I have a performance exhaust or something but I checked everything out and it's all stock. I got my 330i last year with 37,000 miles on the odometer from the original owner a 60-something year old retired surgeon who had it heated-garaged and barely drove it all as he had like 4 other cars.
So I know for a fact nothing was done to it in regards to mods. I even check for the golf tee mod and the butterfly flap's control arm was actually off the hinge and I didn't know what it was so I put it back and still my car engine/exhaust sounds beefed up.
It's funny that it took me almost a year to realize that my 330i sounded different than other 330i's on the road.

Oh I will try to call you around 4pm today.

Quote:
Ok, so back to the mic. I understand that it can be mounted INSIDE the ceiling liner. I assume you guys have fastened it so the mic is like an upside down T right to the vent opening. What did you do? Glue it? Tape it? ???
Yup that is sort of what I did. I didn't use any glue because the Mic comes with a sticky footprint mount.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #48
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
Voice Dialing DOES work with the iPhone! I just tested it out. It actually uses the iPhone's voice control.
Major benefit of owning an iPhone 3GS
Old 11-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #49
steve.325i

Thanks for the pics!!!

My new parrot kit came today. Whoohoo! But I wasn't expecting it to come so soon. My garage is currently occupied with my wifes sportage ... I'm doing brakes on it & saturday is busy. I hope to do my install on Sunday.

I will take pics as I go.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #50
delmarco

Quote:
Voice Dialing DOES work with the iPhone! I just tested it out. It actually uses the iPhone's voice control. You press the speech / phone button and it'll activate the iPhone's voice control.

You don't need to program the CK3000's voice commands / keywords or do a data push.

Why does yours say WAIT? what does that mean?
Mine only says PHONE when connecting to and using my Blackberry.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #51
sycE46

Quote:
Why does yours say WAIT? what does that mean?
Mine only says PHONE when connecting to and using my Blackberry.

It says "wait" when I'm playing music from my ipod (dension ipod adapter) and it'll say "phone" when I'm listening to the Radio (FM / AM).
Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #52
delmarco

Quote:
It says "wait" when I'm playing music from my ipod (dension ipod adapter) and it'll say "phone" when I'm listening to the Radio (FM / AM).
Wow. What year BMW Business CD53 do you have?
The earlier Blaupunkt one or the post-2002 Alpine one?

I just ordered a 2006 Alpine Business CD53 to replace my 2001 Blaupunkt one just so that I can use my iPod. I didn't think older CD53 could connect to iPods(if that is what you have).

Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #53
sycE46

The aftermarket iPod adapters work with any year e46 stereos. Only the BMW one requires a newer stereo.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #54
hyperiate

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:

Yup that is sort of what I did. I didn't use any glue because the Mic comes with a sticky footprint mount.
Is it possible to swap the sunroof control and the microphone? It doesn't make sense to me that the mic position would be further from the driver than it needs to be when it looks like both positions are equal.
hyperiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #55
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiate View Post
Is it possible to swap the sunroof control and the microphone? It doesn't make sense to me that the mic position would be further from the driver than it needs to be when it looks like both positions are equal.
You can... but it's not a direct fit. you need to modify it a little. I've seen other people in the forums swap the sunroof switch and the mic location.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #56
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiate View Post

Quote:
You can... but it's not a direct fit. you need to modify it a little. I've seen other people in the forums swap the sunroof switch and the mic location.
Yeah SYCE46 is correct. That was the first thing I did even before trying it out in the OEM position but I quickly realized that it would not fit without filing or cutting the MIC grill hole bigger to accept the sunroof switch.

At any rate it works just fine from the OEM position. The only complaint I got was one time where my gfriend said I sounded far away but she said it wasn't an issue for her or anything.

NOTE: The sound comes from the speakers and not the mic, just to be sure that you were not thinking that.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-17-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #57
steve.325i

My parrot is finally installed. Thanks guys for your DIY & advice.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #58
delmarco

Quote:
My parrot is finally installed. Thanks guys for your DIY & advice.
Dude you finished at 1.18am on Sunday night?
You are true e46fanatic.

Congrads. Where did you decide on finally placing the mic?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #59
steve.325i

Quote:
Dude you finished at 1.18am on Sunday night?
You are true e46fanatic.

Congrads. Where did you decide on finally placing the mic?
I will post a pic & my installation comments tonight.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #60
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Major benefit of owning an iPhone 3GS
I have the earlier Iphone, 2nd gen 3G version, not the S. Can I do voice dailing with that?

thanks in advance, great thread