E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #81
gms

My Ride: E46 convertible
I just did the same install on my 2005 convertible with navigation, the parrot and the steering wheel controls work great but on my navi display the telephone option is enabled, but when I select phone on the monitor nothing happens, any ideas on that?

Thanks
gms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #82
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
The parrot / Connects2 Kit doesn't give you any functionality with the Nav. You'll need the OEM bluetooth kit to give you any integration with the OEM NAV.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #83
gms

My Ride: E46 convertible
That is wat I tought, but I didn't used to have this option on my sat nav menu, but after installing the connects2 interface the telephone option shows up, very strange, also when I dial someone there something on my screen and after the call is diconnected this stays there. I have to push "menu" and then "tripcomputer" to go back to leave this screen!

Someone has an solution for this
gms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #84
bmv69

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
Parrot system sounds like a good package. I'm going to go to Best Buy and ask them how much to install it.
bmv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #85
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmv69 View Post
Parrot system sounds like a good package. I'm going to go to Best Buy and ask them how much to install it.
Wat?! This entire thread is about DIY-ing the Parrot! It's super easy just follow the step by step. Say no to best buy installs
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #86
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmv69 View Post
If you want the steering wheel controls, you'll need to get an adapter for it. I don't know if Best Buy would carry it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #87
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
omg - bestbuy or futureshop. That's as bad as going to First Choice for your haircut -
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #88
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Best Buy do not have that.

The truly good stuff you'll never find at a commercial store like that.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #89
steve.325i

I can confirm that Futureshop does carry the ck3000 but they do not have any steering wheel integration.

And of course, I would not let them touch my car - lol.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #90
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
I've had a few complaints about the sound quality at highway speeds. When I'm idle, the people can hear me clearly. But when I'm driving, the road noise seems to take over. I read online about splicing in a 10k ohm resistor on the mic wire. Theory is, the mic sensitivity is too high. So it picks up too much noise. Talking louder doesn't help, cuz the mic starts to clip. The 10k ohm brings down the sensitivity of the mic. Unfortunately, the CK3000 doesn't have a volume control for the Mic. I think some of the other Parrot kits do.

I dropped by Radio Shack today and picked up some 10k ohm Resistors. I made a small adapter to place the resistor inline with the mic wire. I didn't want to cut up the mic wire if this didn't work. So far, it seems to help. I called my friend while driving on the freeway and the she said it sounds clear. Much better than before when driving on the freeway. though... I'm not sure if its just her phone. Other people I've talked to haven't had any issues hearing me.

How has the sound quality been for you guys?

10k ohm Resistors from Radio Shack. $1
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062330
I seem to be having the same problem as I'm told I sound muffled, staticcy, and with road noise. I don't seem to have the problem when I'm at a stand still...only when at speeds greater than 40mph.

How did you make the adapter to plug into the mic and did this really solve the problem? Am thinking of doing this or purchasing a better mic (which I don't rally want to do).
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #91
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
I seem to be having the same problem as I'm told I sound muffled, staticcy, and with road noise. I don't seem to have the problem when I'm at a stand still...only when at speeds greater than 40mph.

How did you make the adapter to plug into the mic and did this really solve the problem? Am thinking of doing this or purchasing a better mic (which I don't rally want to do).
I used a 1/8" extension cable which I cut up and put the resistor inline. You can also do what Steve did and solder in a resistor on the mic itself.

I just made the cable since I had routed the Mic wire already. It would have been a pain to yank it out.

Steve also used lower ohm resistors. You should try several different resistors and see what works the best.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #92
steve.325i

Yup, I used a 300ohm and I placed it inside the microphone body. Totally agree with synE46 - you have to try a few values & test the results. As you adjust the series resistor you are adjusting the biasign voltage on the mic & that directly affects it's sensitivity.

I did play around with a higher priced computer mic that I had that had a housing designed for passive noise cancelling. It was worse.
I have three pics in my profile pictures of the mod.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.php?albumid=1695
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #93
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Looks like I'll have to bring my solder gun out to the car since I have the mic wire neatly tucked in the headliner, A-Pillar, weatherstripping and behind the glovebox
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #94
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
Looks like I'll have to bring my solder gun out to the car since I have the mic wire neatly tucked in the headliner, A-Pillar, weatherstripping and behind the glovebox
Yup, I did the same. But after a few attempts @ soldering resistors in mid air I cut the damn wire & soldered a two pin connector on. Much easier !!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #95
ZZen330

Here's a question I have not seen mentioned at all...

What if a call comes in while I'm driving and I want to DECLINE the call? Can I do that with the steering wheel controls?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #96
sycE46

Press the R/T button and it'll decline the call.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #97
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
Pop & Click Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
In my 2005 with Nav, connects2, and CK3000, I get a lot of noise thru the system when the bluetooth is activated and during a call. Pops, clicks when it comes on or shuts off, and alternator whine and other noises thru the audio system during the call.

I'm pretty sure I understand why... the CK3000 has a built-in amp and seems to me, it's sending an amplified signal to the sound system that isn't expecting it. But, what's perplexing is, I believe the non-navi systems are configured the same way... with a radio/display up front, amp in the trunk. The only difference with the nav is, the radio module is in the trunk and uses the flat pin connector. All my equipment is installed in the trunk and I used a 1/8" male to female extension cable to route the mic to the stock location.

I'm thinking about a line output converter between the ck3000's amplified signal and the inputs to the stock amp so I can adjust the output from the ck3000 to match what the amp is expecting.
I have the exact same Pop & Click sound from the speakers whenever the Parrot comes on/off for anything. It's pretty annoying because it's loud. jvr826, are you any closer to a solution?

For reference, I am using:
-CK3000 Evo w/ Connects2
-Stock sound. Non H/K. Blaupunkt HU
-USA-Spec (works fine)
-Mic in OEM position

Issues I have:
-Pop & Click sound when CK3000 & Connects2 activate for anything.
-The speakers will not be driven if the HU is OFF. The HU must be ON for sound (Ring, Call, Pairing beep, etc). However, the Mic still works (It's either the Blaupunkt HU or stock Amp issue).
-The road noise is horrible for the other party. I will be trying the resistor fix.

Tip: With the CK3000, Connects2, and USA-Spec behind the glove box... it gets pretty tight back there. The longer Blue Parrot box especially might get in the way of reinstalling the glove box. Do not push the glove box in if doesn't pop in relatively easy!. Forcing it will put pressure on the fragile connectors and will damage them.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #98
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
I have the exact same Pop & Click sound from the speakers whenever the Parrot comes on/off for anything. It's pretty annoying because it's loud. jvr826, are you any closer to a solution?

For reference, I am using:
-CK3000 Evo w/ Connects2
-Stock sound. Non H/K. Blaupunkt HU
-USA-Spec (works fine)
-Mic in OEM position

Issues I have:
-Pop & Click sound when CK3000 & Connects2 activate for anything.
-The speakers will not be driven if the HU is OFF. The HU must be ON for sound (Ring, Call, Pairing beep, etc). However, the Mic still works (It's either the Blaupunkt HU or stock Amp issue).
-The road noise is horrible for the other party. I will be trying the resistor fix.

Tip: With the CK3000, Connects2, and USA-Spec behind the glove box... it gets pretty tight back there. The longer Blue Parrot box especially might get in the way of reinstalling the glove box. Do not push the glove box in if doesn't pop in relatively easy!. Forcing it will put pressure on the fragile connectors and will damage them.
I know for a fact that the Blaupunk CD53 HU will NOT operate the speakers in the car when off (I first installed the kit on my car when it had the Blaupunk radio in it). After I installed my 02/2006 build date Alpine CD53 HU I realized that the BT kit will work regardless of the radio being on/off.

So this, and I'm sure I stated already somewhere in one of these threads, is not a flaw in the ck3000 kit but the way the BMW Cd53 Radios have evolved over the years as production went from Blaupunkt to Alpine.

The volume on the ck3000 is PRIMARILY adjusted on the ck3000 controller. I previously made the mistake of writting the controller off as being irrelavant after the installation but to the contary it is VERY VERY VERY relevant to the performace of the kit in your car.

My revalation came to me when I returned to take the glove box down as I was installing my iPod Data cables last weekend and I noticed that behind the glovebox the little controller was blinking and flashing and all lit up with the bluetooth being on. Even the buttons were all still active and sensitive to the touch.
That said I returned to look at the ck3000 booklet to see what the buttons originally did beside Answer/Hang Up and Volume/Power dial.

To my surprise the buttons also works to adjust the settings of the Bluetooth (such as language, etc...)

As a result of this I must advise that anyone having issues or wierdness with the kit please remove your glovebox and check that the controller is not getting squashed and/or buttons being pushed. Also make sure the PRIMARY volume is set at a moderate level and not to HIGH or LOW.

This may also answer why your speakers pop periodically. If the volume is set super high or the controller and set low in the car then you get all sorts of feedback and pops.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #99
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I know for a fact that the Blaupunk CD53 HU will NOT operate the speakers in the car when off (I first installed the kit on my car when it had the Blaupunk radio in it). After I installed my 02/2006 build date Alpine CD53 HU I realized that the BT kit will work regardless of the radio being on/off.
Yeah, I figured it was an older Blaupunkt HU limitation having no sound when OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
The volume on the ck3000 is PRIMARILY adjusted on the ck3000 controller. I previously made the mistake of writting the controller off as being irrelavant after the installation but to the contary it is VERY VERY VERY relevant to the performace of the kit in your car.
As a result of this I must advise that anyone having issues or wierdness with the kit please remove your glovebox and check that the controller is not getting squashed and/or buttons being pushed. Also make sure the PRIMARY volume is set at a moderate level and not to HIGH or LOW.
The glovebox is still open. I want easy access to the controller, so I'll eventually have the controller in my glovebox contained in a small clear hard case (to prevent the buttons from accidentally pressing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
This may also answer why your speakers pop periodically. If the volume is set super high or the controller and set low in the car then you get all sorts of feedback and pops.
The "pop" is there regardless of setting the volume on the controller or radio. I've seen your videos, and you have no hint of this problem. jvr826 also has the same problem but has a newer Nav unit (but a non-HK system?). He suspects it has to do with the amp and line volume levels...
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #100
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
Press the R/T button and it'll decline the call.
Great! Thanks for the answer. Looking forward to my gear arriving.

A tip I mentioned in the other thread for those looking for the Parrot CK3000 evo...look for the Eclipse BT-E500 or BT-E600...it's the same thing rebranded and often can be found much cheaper. (Although once it gets attention the price might raise as happened with the ck3000).

sycE46 - A question I'm trying to get answered is that on another forum I read about two guys who were hearing the music cut out for 1/2 a second or so sporadically. I'm assuming due to some parrot bluetooth communication issue. Have you noticed this? That would be so annoying while driving, BT Paired and listening to tunes.