E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #121
mattfort

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Hmmmm...... Is there a parrot you could substitute to make this happen?
mattfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #122
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfort View Post
Hmmmm...... Is there a parrot you could substitute to make this happen?
Not that I know of, and I've searched. I wanted to do the same thing as I stream Pandora on my Windows Mobile Smartphone thru my AUX in of my XM Receiver which then transmits via builtin FM modulator. I'd prefer not to be "tethered".
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #123
Jimi158

My Ride: '99 323i
Just did the install last night. I tried the mic in the stock location, but decided it was too muffled there, so moved it just to the left of my review mirror. I can see it, but the passenger can't.

Works fairly well with my iPhone 4s, but it seems like there are some hangups when using Siri while the iPhone is playing music through my USASpec iPod interface. Works flawlessly with the radio.

Anyone else using Siri with this setup? I'd love for the R/T button to "hang up" on Siri so it can go back to the radio, but until then I'll continue manually hitting the lock on the phone.
Jimi158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #124
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Jimi158 - can you go here to this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...720922&page=51 and give us (several are interested) a detailed rundown of how Siri works with the Parrot ck3000 setup?

Primarily we want to know how it works with phone calls, ie making and dialing a call as wel as ending a call.

But also, if we can trigger Siri and get it to read us texts or dictate texts and send them, then exit.

Thanks!
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #125
Bmwboi36

My Ride: E46 318i
I have the Kit installed it and sorta doing weird things it will work but dosent show Phone on CD player when it connects only one side of front speakers work. and the back still playing the music that is in CD player Any help would be nice.Have and CD53 Alpine MP3 one
Bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #126
Jimi158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi158 View Post
Just did the install last night. I tried the mic in the stock location, but decided it was too muffled there, so moved it just to the left of my review mirror. I can see it, but the passenger can't.

Works fairly well with my iPhone 4s, but it seems like there are some hangups when using Siri while the iPhone is playing music through my USASpec iPod interface. Works flawlessly with the radio.

Anyone else using Siri with this setup? I'd love for the R/T button to "hang up" on Siri so it can go back to the radio, but until then I'll continue manually hitting the lock on the phone.
Thought I'd update this. I found a quick way to "hang up" on Siri so that my music or whatever else was going on in the background (GPS) displays on screen again. The R/T button will turn Siri off when she's listening, so all I have to do is hit the phone button and then the R/T and Siri goes away.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #127
munya

My Ride: 2012 Legacy GT
Send a message via AIM to munya
any tricks to getting the vent out? I have been killing myself trying to pull this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0146.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	442945  
munya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #128
Jimi158

Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
any tricks to getting the vent out? I have been killing myself trying to pull this out.
I've actually ripped the plastic apart on one trying to just pull it out, so using a few thin and flexible old credit/membership cards can help.

They key is to somehow lift the dash or depress these retaining clips (image credit ecstuning.com)

This only shows the top, but there are similar ones on the bottom, I think. You can get the top free and then work on getting the bottom out (or vise versa).
Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #129
Bmwboi36

My Ride: E46 318i
The top vents it easy just put ya hand in the hole and push vents out until they release from there clips? Or used flat screw driver with cloth yet becareful and pries it around the vent side until it release from the clips but have paincents I kill one of the flaps out too with fist go

Last edited by Bmwboi36; 03-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #130
munya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi158 View Post
I've actually ripped the plastic apart on one trying to just pull it out, so using a few thin and flexible old credit/membership cards can help.

They key is to somehow lift the dash or depress these retaining clips (image credit ecstuning.com)

This only shows the top, but there are similar ones on the bottom, I think. You can get the top free and then work on getting the bottom out (or vise versa).

no pic came through
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #131
munya

Any other tips for the vent? This thing wont budge. I got my pry tools all the way around it and it comes our about a centimeter at best.
I'm taking a break for tonight.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #132
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Sit on the driver's side. Put both sets of fingers under the vents. Lift up and out.

The goal is the flex the top of the dash while the plastic clips on the bottom jump over the opening, if that makes sense. Some people have a harder time than others. It's about how far those stupid plastic bits are pushed downwards. Mine sounded like breaking plastic while coming out. Turns out I was messing up the vent slats alignment.

Once it is out, you might as well break the two plastic bits on the vent that hold it in. Easier to remove next time. And there will be a next time.

Last edited by fadeaway; 04-10-2012 at 07:57 PM.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #133
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
I ordered the ck3000 parrot kit along with quick connect harness QCBMW-R ? Am I missing any thing? Crutchfield tech advised that's all I need. There seems to be a member that used that same setup so please chime in if I'm missing an item.

When your receive a call, what kind of ringer do you hear?
Does it show your signal bars any where in the HU?

Any help is appreciated.

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #134
JonathanKumar

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330xi
Can you use the r/t button to cycle bewteen radio-cd-aux and phone?
JonathanKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #135
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Its worth it, I went and bought another mic cover from the junk yard for $5.00 and did a little dyi mic vent closer to driver side , all callers said there are much improvements and can hear me a lot better than before. I even did a voice mail message to my office to hear it for my self and it was crystal clear, so if any one had the under passenger *setup and voice wasn't that great , I suggest you do this

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The part I bought

Had to trace the shape with marker and saw it with a mini saw

After I sawcame out crooked and I had to file it for like 20 mins to get the cover to fit.

Done mic mounted in passenger side

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #136
winston330xi

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330xi
Thanks OP for this diy. Everything worked out great.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #137
beemerbill

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Exclamation Gotchas with the DIY parrot CK3000

I used this guide, and ran into a few snags, anyone attempting to install this should know there are 5 steps this guide glosses over and it may make you feel a little over confident that you can do this yourself quickly and painlessly.

1) The center vents ABSOLUTELY must come out. Its not optional. Search and find help on this as these center vents are a major pain to remove.

2) There is ONE and ONLY one way to route the connects 2 cables above the radio and ONE and ONLY ONE place to put the connects2 wiring harness above the radio. This and the above step could take you 2+ hours if you dont know or cant get things into place. There is zero room behind the radio itself dont even try it.

3) The cubbies behind the glovebox will fit the connects2 box but *NOT* the parrot itself as is shown in the guide. The parrot is too long to fit in a cubby and even if you could get the glovebox reinstalled, it is not snug and wires will fall out everywhere.

Instead, the parrot should be placed in the space to the left of the cubbies above the floor light, with the extra wires run snugly underneath the cubbies, they will stay put, the parrot will stay put and you will be able to get the glovebox reinstalled.

4) For proper replacement of the glovebox you really must remove the glovebox door from the top of the glovebox which this guide skips. It may seem convenient on install, but you will likely not get the glove box back in correctly or at all without removing the door from the top assembly.

5) If you indeed mount the parrot mic into the BMW overhead compartment for the factory hands free mic, you will find after testing it that all your callers will hear is road noise and they will have trouble understanding you. Parrot recommends that the mic be placed in the cabin between the center book lights and the driver side sun visor. I ran just enough cable under the built in mic box trim, to mount the mic right to the left of the mic box on its little stand with some sticky tape keeping it attached to the ceiling. You can hardly notice its there. I have it pointing towards the steering wheel where it catches my voice going forward and my callers say the calls are nice and clear even at highway speeds.

I have pictures of all these and when I figure out where to upload them I will post links.

Last edited by beemerbill; 10-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
beemerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #138
beemerbill

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Sorry the pics arent better quality-

The radio cable harness must be run up from the left behind the radio bracket into the center vent compartment.
The connects2 must be run above the radio bracket over to the left to connect to the radio connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnxzmapunosd7cd/c2-radio.jpg

This is the ONLY place the radio/connects2 connection can be stored. It will not work in any other location.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3t1cyzr8cja2dt/harness.jpg

This is IMO the best place for the parrot as its too long for the cubbies:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3xi84u7slkt2dy/parrott.jpg

And finally, after much frustration with sound quality and mounting the mic in the BMW mic box, I came up with this and it works nicely.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yo86bpy6ouozxi/mic.jpg

Last edited by beemerbill; 10-13-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: new image links
beemerbill is offline   Reply With Quote