E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
grpatter

My Ride: 2006 330CIC ZHP
Possible VANOS rattle...

2006 330CiC with ZHP just hit 51K (Unlucky, I know... )

Sorry about the crappy quality, not a good time to take a vid but it'll have to do until I get a better one up.

Basically, a 'rattling' / 'ticking' noise that gets louder and faster under acceleration, no power loss or torque changes that I've noticed however. No cold start issues, yet. Does this sound like the vanos rattle or possible something else? I've considered pulleys/tensioners, and a possible water pump noise (though that seems unlikely to increase linearly as this does with RPM's).

Thanks in advance guys.

Updated One, Still in the dark but better audio:

Last edited by grpatter; 10-17-2009 at 07:58 PM.
grpatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
grpatter

Any thoughts guys?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Doesn't sound like vanos rattle to me, but I can't hear much in the video.

I think I can hear what you're talking about, but it doesn't sound like the vanos rattle I've heard.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
grpatter

The weather's been pretty crappy around here lately, should have a chance to get something decent this weekend. I thought it was for sure at first, but the longer it goes the less sure I am. GAH!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Could be mild vanos rattle or a weak timing chain tensioner. Could also be any number of other things that just happen to be rattling. Can you feel any "rattle" in the vanos cover?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
grpatter

I just updated with another video, still in the dark but you can hear it more clearly.
Also, it's MUCH louder when I'm actually driving (I can clearly hear it over the road with a window down).

And, yes, I can 'feel' the vibration on the vanos cover, seems to be in the back part of the cover but hard to isolate.

Time chain tensioner, could I check that by opening it up and just giving it a visual?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
hlfpast3

My Ride: OrientBlue 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to hlfpast3 Send a message via Yahoo to hlfpast3
OMG!!! I hope for ur sake that the adjuster unit that bolts onto the intake manifold didn't break. I've seen the plastic valves break and get sucked into the intake manifold and have very similar sounds. This isn't good news if it gets sucked in. Stop driving ASAP!!!

3.38 Diff
UUC SSK
Shark Injector
Conforti CAI
H&R RSS Coilovers
H&R Sways
OEM M3 Strut Bar
Reinforced Strut Mounts
Rogue Engineering RSM
ProjectorE46
M Tech II Rear
Ipod Integration
hlfpast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
grpatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfpast3 View Post
OMG!!! I hope for ur sake that the adjuster unit that bolts onto the intake manifold didn't break. I've seen the plastic valves break and get sucked into the intake manifold and have very similar sounds. This isn't good news if it gets sucked in. Stop driving ASAP!!!
I'm assuming you're referring to part 7 in this diag: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=11&fg=40
I've been driving this for about a week now as it's my only mode of transportation and I have work and class every day. Also, it looks like the adjuster underwent a re-design in 2004 and since this is a late 2006 version it should have the updated part that supposedly helps prevent dropping pieces, is that correct? Also of note, I haven't got any CEL's or Error Codes being thrown yet, if that's of any relevance (I think it is from what I've been reading about this Intake Adjuster). Any hope that it hasn't dropped into my engine IF this is the source of the noise?

How could I check such a thing?

Last edited by grpatter; 10-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Josh5442

My Ride: 05 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Josh5442
My ZHP had the same noise with <30k on it. Dealer replaced VANOS once, the noise was still there (albeit, not as pronounced). They then replaced the timing chain and cam chain tensioner, as well as the camshaft. Cured the issue. From what I read as well ZHPs rattle slightly more then regular 330's.
Josh5442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
grpatter

Anyone want to give me an approx cost on replacing the timing chain tensioner (upper) and/or a DIY of any degree?
I'm out of warranty by 1200 mi now like I said in the OP, so this is all on me.

Thanks!