E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #181
BayrischeMotorWerk

My Ride: 320d
Would also be my suggestion. It sounds like you have to turn it 180
BayrischeMotorWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #182
gkase

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Any tips on airduct re-install?

How in heck do you get that damn airduct back inthere??? Any tips on that before i blow another couple hours jsshiver lol...geez, it felt like it was upside down... finally realized i was trying to mount to the wrong holes...must be the non functional FSR holes...grrrr. finally got the module installed...now trying to install the air duct
gkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #183
Jsshiver

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Are you talking about the floor vent? I didn't take it out when I installed my FSR. I didn't uninstall anything when I did this job except for the glove box, obviously. The only thing I did other than that was unscrewing and re screwing the part blocking the FSR.
Jsshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #184
gkase

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Jsshiver...I am amazed you didn have to take anything out of the way! I couldnt get my hands in there unliess I took the air duct out too...I finally got it back in but as a cautionary note to others that need to move it, you have to kind of "roll it in" and look at the top end of where it goes before you do so...you'll see some servo arms that will be in the way and probably shouldnt be muscled too much...anyway, done is done...had to do this cause my FSR was killing my battery pretty steadily by running the fan apparently while parked over nite...
gkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #185
Jsshiver

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Yeah this is a job that requires a lot of patience because it's such an extremely tight space. A double-drive screwdriver makes it a lot easier. Especially in that space, I wanted to do the least amount of uninstalling as possible, even if it meant getting frustrated by the tight space. It would be easy to lose a screw that deep. If you have a magnet tool, have it handy.
Jsshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #186
goose123

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Did this today, hardest part was getting the air duct back in. I couldn't imagine doing this without taking that duct out.

goose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #187
Alexotronic

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Did this job today. I'm with goose^ this wasn't possible for me until I removed the air duct.

As for anyone with trouble getting the duct back in - Figure out where the duct isn't clearing, the duct will give a little bit if you press directly on it.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #188
jestare

My Ride: 2003 325i
Thanks for the instructions. I just bought this '03 325i, and the fan was 'pulsating' which annoyed me incredibly.

As someone who's never worked on a car, it was pretty straightforward and I finished in about an hour. I left the air duct in and the hardest part was finding a comfortable spot to work from. I also had a similar problem where the rubber grommet was blocking the FSR clip, but wedging a screwdriver allowed me to pop the FSR out.
jestare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #189
ragingelephants

My Ride: 2001 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveRealSlow View Post
sweet then its something else. well i mean my fsr would stay on after the car was off and go for a while.
I have the same problem. But my blower wont stop. Does kill the battery. Hopefully going to replace it soon. Crazy takes so long to replace. Looks easy tho
ragingelephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #190
kyonz

My Ride: 2002 e46 325i
To anyone else brave enough to do this, my one piece of advise is go out and buy a nice allen key style torx 20 screw driver.

I spent AGES working on this screw with tools that clearly just weren't fit for the purpose - went out and bought a set of allen key style torx screw drivers and it took around 3 minutes to remove the offending screw that will make you angry.

Last edited by kyonz; 02-18-2014 at 01:23 AM.
kyonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #191
paulstaxi

Having same problem on my e46 wagon, thanks to this forum I didn't need take it to a specialized shop, got my FSR in today, and gonna swap it later this evening. Great post here with detailed pictures seems easy enough, I do have big hands but we'll see how difficult that will be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
paulstaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #192
Jaredxxx24

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
Might be a problem with your climate control. I remember one of my friends had a problem with it. If he pressed a button on the climate control after he turned off the car (or something like that), it'd stay on and it would drain the battery. I think he had a 2002 or 2003 330i. It was the one with the newer climate control design.
When this happens, its actually the worst case failure of the final stage unit. The fan will blow at top speed even if your ac is off. This happened to me on my 2000 323i during a 600 mile road trip. The best part is that when you take your keys out of the car the fan will still blow so you have to disconnect the battery.
Jaredxxx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #193
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Is the battery really the only way to stop the fan from blowing? There isnt a simple fuse that can be removed until a new FSR arrives?
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #194
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredxxx24 View Post
When this happens, its actually the worst case failure of the final stage unit. The fan will blow at top speed even if your ac is off. This happened to me on my 2000 323i during a 600 mile road trip. The best part is that when you take your keys out of the car the fan will still blow so you have to disconnect the battery.
How did you fix this issue? I've replaced the FSR twice (once by me, and once by dealer), and it still does the same thing.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #195
avneet

My Ride: 2001 330ci Vert
Do you remember if the new one looked different from the old one? The new FSR I ordered looked like it was redesigned. I changed it over 3 years ago and it hasn't acted up.

Last edited by avneet; 04-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
avneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #196
helibrdr

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Just finished this. The new FSR aka hedgehog has smaller spines than the old one. I also had to replace the climate control module as well to clear up all my symptoms. Did it without removing the duct - but may require chiropractor visit now....
helibrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #197
Jaredxxx24

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuschnicken View Post
How did you fix this issue? I've replaced the FSR twice (once by me, and once by dealer), and it still does the same thing.
You need a new FSU. I've tried behr, but after premature failures I just bought a new oem one through my local dealer. It has a 2 year warranty so if it breaks a new one is just a short drive away
Jaredxxx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #198
glwillia

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Just did mine tonight..

This DIY helped a lot. The one problem I had was, I broke the tab on that little greenish-white servo motor thing on the control module that had to come out Thus, the metal push rod is no longer connected. Anyone have any idea what that controls?
glwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #199
Goody4

My Ride: 2004 330 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredxxx24 View Post
You need a new FSU. I've tried behr, but after premature failures I just bought a new oem one through my local dealer.
Hmm....My original OEM FSR was made by Behr, so a Behr replacement should be ok. At least, I'm hoping it is, since that's what I was sent today.

The attached picture shows my original FSR on the right with a manufacture date of 11/21/03--it's under where it reads "BEHR"--and the BMW part number.

My '04 330Ci has a build-date of 12/2003. It already had the "updated" designed FSR.

BTW, notice in the picture the "new" one (on the left) I bought on Ebay has the sticker peeled from it. You can see the sticker-glue remnants that formed the rectangle sticker. It came that way. I didn't remove the sticker.

Even though I installed this because it is labeled Behr on the other side, I'd recommend to others reading this D-I-Y to buy directly from a dealer, if you want OEM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0279.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	558219  

Last edited by Goody4; 05-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Goody4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #200
crimedog

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwillia View Post
This DIY helped a lot. The one problem I had was, I broke the tab on that little greenish-white servo motor thing on the control module that had to come out Thus, the metal push rod is no longer connected. Anyone have any idea what that controls?
Pretty sure it's the clean air/recirculate flap servo. I thought I had broken mine when doing the FSR but mine had just popped loose. I popped the rod back into the tab and it stayed in so I think I'm ok.

I think there was a post a few pages back with the part number of the servo connection to the pushrod.

Kudos to the original poster...this is a great DIY writeup. My FSR was so bad it was draining the battery overnight as the fan would run intermittently when the car was off.
crimedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan surge, final stage, fsr