E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveRealSlow View Post
sweet then its something else. well i mean my fsr would stay on after the car was off and go for a while.
Might be a problem with your climate control. I remember one of my friends had a problem with it. If he pressed a button on the climate control after he turned off the car (or something like that), it'd stay on and it would drain the battery. I think he had a 2002 or 2003 330i. It was the one with the newer climate control design.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #22
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
If I understand this DIY correctly, there are a total of 4 T-20 screws to be removed. I had only 2. They are the ones that go on the modue in front of the FSR and sandwich the FSR. Not a big deal, it just leads me to believe that the FSR had been replaced before I got the car.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #23
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
nice diy....thanks for posting
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
yup... when the Final stage resistor fails, the fan will blow at sporadic speeds. Time to replace it.
Would you describe the sporadic speeds as if I pressed the "AUTO" button that the fan would suddenly kick up to the highest speed? Would this be a symptom? This would be in the context of typical summer weather just getting into the car with the thermostat set to 68 while outside it is maybe 75+? It does this during the winter too. I never had such a fancy vehicle with an "automatic" climate control before, so it's all quite new to me and sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own. Looking over her service records, about 57k she had a final stage failure which is before my time. She's at 98k now.

Also, is there a typical mileage that it fails at or is it just random? This sporadic speed--is it when your not touching the control at all and it just changes all of a sudden, even though it is not saying "AUTO" on the screen?
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
You forgot a part: Tiny hands.
Not sure, but I don't think you'll get anyone on here to admit that they have "tiny" hands! Thanks for the write-up though.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Not sure, but I don't think you'll get anyone on here to admit that they have "tiny" hands! Thanks for the write-up though.
Does the "tiny hands" thing infer that other body parts are larger? LOL

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
My FSR also had a second symptom: A high-pitched whining sound every once in a while. I first thought it was a bearing starting to go on my blower motor...
My blower makes a squealing noise sporadicly at a random speed and set temperature. to fix it i would either adjust the fan speed and temperature but also I found out that changing my engine's RPM would stop the noise. does this sound like a failing FSR?

How long has it been sicne you replaced your FSR? has the problem showed up again? thanks
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
The whine would go away if I manually turned the blower speed all the way up. The engine rpms weren't connected at all. If it's more of a squeal, open your hood when the engine's running and see if it's coming from the belt area; you might have a tensioner or idler pulley on the way out.

It's been about 3 months since I replaced mine and the whine hasn't returned.

Does your squeal sound more like this video? It only happens on cold starts in cooler weather for me so far. Once the weather warms up or the engine's been running for a few seconds the sound goes away. I replaced the tensioner pulley but I still get the sound in the morning so the idler is next...

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
coleraineguy

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
Here's my DIY on replacing the Final Stage Unit (Resistor)....
hey i've been trying to do this, how do u get the footwell AC duct out of the way, thats the only problem i'm having. also, the clip that retains the Resistor, how do you unclip it?
coleraineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleraineguy View Post
hey i've been trying to do this, how do u get the footwell AC duct out of the way, thats the only problem i'm having. also, the clip that retains the Resistor, how do you unclip it?
The duct is flexible enough to push out of the way-it's soft enough that it won't break. I pryed the clip back with a screwdriver, and wiggled the FSR-came right out.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #31
MAJESTY

My Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveRealSlow View Post
did this problem tend to kill ur battery ?
Yep (dealer confirmed). Will be doing this DIY tomorrow/Saturday...hopefully will be done in time to watch the Colts roll over the Ravens!
MAJESTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #32
MAJESTY

My Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTY View Post
Yep (dealer confirmed). Will be doing this DIY tomorrow/Saturday...hopefully will be done in time to watch the Colts roll over the Ravens!
UPDATE: With all you guys' help, it took me a total of one solid hour (half of which was trying to find out where the last glove box screw went)

Works like a charm...the dealer was gonna charge me $400 bucks...bought the part for $120...and a nice screw driver ratchet set w/torx heads for $20 and saved $260 bucks!
MAJESTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #33
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTY View Post
...bought the part for $120...
Consider ordering from Pelican Parts next time. I bought my FSR from them for $58. http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg2.htm#item9
Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #34
astor

My Ride: 320i(CND import)
I have done this DIY, but now when I turn the A/C on I hear some sound like mumbling. If I push off the A/C button, the sound goes away.More specifically if the fan running, there is no sound, it comes only when the A/C turned on.Any ideas?
astor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #35
cunninglinguist

My Ride: 2003 LSB M3
Great information. Good to know that I won't have to troubleshoot this issue too long should mine fail in the future now.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #36
djdonis

My Ride: 330i
Great DIY writeup, but the process itself is a real pain. You need to be either a contortionist or a midget to view/access the bolts. Then the aftermarket part needed to be negotiated in the position which took me the longest - no space to put the flathead screwdriver to help to wiggle the resistor in. My advise: wear a cap or some other head protection, - you will scratch your scalp against those sticking metal parts that hold your glovebox.

djdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Just a FYI my '04 330CI had T25 screws the next size down. Also my FSU was only clipped in and not screwed in. Now what I'm not sure is my car already had the "new" style FSU so I don't know if it was replaced once already. Other then that this was very helpful. One thing to keep in mind is the lower tray is kinda a pain to get in and out, just take your time. Total time was about 1hr 20 min start to finish.
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #38
ruan916

My Ride: 2002 325i
thx for the diy.
a finger cut and an hour later, it's all good now!!!
ruan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #39
Platelets

My Ride: '02 325ci
Thank you for the super easy write up on this. It was because of your post that I figured out why my fan speeds didn't match the climate control, and for that I thank you.

'02 325Ci

Mods: Custom Intake, M3 Lip, 18" M5 replicas, DICE, 10" Bazooka
Platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #40
hl325Ci

My Ride: 325Ci
Thanks for the great DIY. I just finished this job... whew... What a pain..~!@#@!@

oh, I only saw 2 x 20 torx screws and I am the original driver for my car from day 1. so maybe the car is meant to have only 2 even though it certainly looks to be able to hold 4.
hl325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan surge, final stage, fsr